Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:15:56 pm

Author Topic: The Exam is coming!  (Read 4549 times)  Share 

Mr P

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
The Exam is coming!
« on: November 05, 2007, 06:12:47 pm »
Has anyone noticed a pattern with the Section A questions on the Exam since the new course began?

2005 Patronage
2006 Humanism
2007 ? Might be time for the concept of/origin of the Renaissance?

Any ideas about Section B? I'm thinking Machiavelli or Guicciardini may figure prominently... two years in a row about the Medici. Unless they're going to cover Piero, or maybe the post-Medici republic under Savanarola and Soderini?

The Section C question in 2005 was a dog, last year's was a lot friendlier. Hope this year's is something like that. A question about women would be nice.

What about Section D? Surely they're going to have a painting this year?

Good luck to all...

ezflow

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
The Exam is coming!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:15:37 pm »
Section A: I hope it's a concept/definition of the Renaissance. Although, there are a few questions so why not Humanism and 'Defining the Renaissance'?

Section B: Medici are definitely the best to talk about, in my opinion. But it would be good if we had to compare Medici rule with post-Medici rule. That'd be interesting.

Section C: I really hope it's a more general question like about the importance of family or friends. Specifically targeting women or a particular social group will not (should not) happen! As in, I'd be very upset if it was. Mr P, which social life city-state are you doing? Venice or Florence?

Section D: They've had paintings before and I'm sure they'll have them again. 1 textual extract and 1 painting, probably.

Anyway, it'll be good once the exam is over on Wednesday. Then I can quit livin' in the past.

Mr P

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
The Exam is coming!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:45:41 pm »
Hi ezflow.

I think you're right about the possibility of both Renaissance and Humanism covered in section A - although one question always seems to be about city-states in general (you know, their political strucures, political systems, economies, how they relate etc) which really leaves only one 'renaissance' question. Unless they were being sneaky...

However, I think the Medici are a remote possibility for Section B, in an explicit question anyway - maybe something about republican values or structures where you can bring in something about the Medici, but not the Medici explicitly.

Think you're right about the social life essay (we're doing Florence btw), as the topic really needs to be general to allow for the different 'aspects' people focussed on.

Spot on about Venice - written representation (maybe Sanudo?) and painting (Veronese? Palma's Allegory of League of the Cambrai?).

Good luck to you on Wed.

ezflow

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
The Exam is coming!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:22:22 pm »
As to you. I really, really hope its Allegory of the League of Cambrai. Love that one. Good luck to you too. Sounds like you know your shit... unlike me, who's relying on his science subjects to save him ;)

meatloaf_911

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
The Exam is coming!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 10:36:31 pm »
i did renaissance last year and that 2006 exam was an absolute bitch! the hard parts were easy and the easy parts were hard. u want an essay question for part 3 that presents a good opportunity for u to show off ur knowledge, but is directed. last yrs was SO general it was really unnerving - i remember thinking to myself "well it's OBVIOUSLY important if u dedicated a whole dot point to it" lol. good luck trying to argue the opposite geez. anyway not that im an expert but i did well last yr so if u have any questions or advice i might be able to help (mind u most of its since evaporated lol) all the best!