Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 12:46:48 pm

Author Topic: These Prac's are doing my head in !  (Read 1732 times)  Share 

doboman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
These Prac's are doing my head in !
« on: April 05, 2008, 06:08:09 pm »
I need help with this question it goes....

Not all cells in a multicellular organism such as a human are the same size. What do you think determines, for example, why liver cells are very small and skin cells are much larger? What other tissues in the human body would need to be made up of very small cells? Give some examples and explanations.

:-[
"Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths"

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
Re: These Prac's are doing my head in !
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 06:49:03 pm »
Size: surface area to volume ratios.
    small things- SA:V increases.
    large things- SA:V is smaller.

substances move slower into or out of an object which has a small SA:V(big things).

Some liver functions: breakdown (produces bile, which is stored in the gall bladder), metabolism, glycogen storage
For efficiency of functioning, it would need to have smaller cells. eg; bile can be secreted out faster to breakdown fat globules and such.

(and for a bit of general knowledge, bile doesn't contain enzymes - so it's to do with mechanical digestion.)
(... and a rat doesn't have a gall bladder to store bile, lol, so the bile passes directly to the duodenum via bile ducts in this case [yep ... I learnt this from a rat dissection prac])

Skin cells being larger ... hm well being the outer layer of the body it serves to shield the insides of us from damage. So it has to be tough ...
I'm actually guessing, I'm not too sure. Might be to do with loss of temperature to the environment and sweating. (I'm hoping someone else comes along and reaffirms my answers  :-[).

Okay next bit ... Hmm.. maybe the pancreas? That secretes pancreatic juice (which includes enzymes such as amylase, trypsin and lipase) ...
how about a cell that has to do with absorbance of nutrients ... maybe the small intestine? Heard of villi? It increases the absorptive surface.
Red blood cells ... they carry oxygen around the body.
Lungs? It has to do with gas exchange. The more efficient the transfer of CO2 and O2, the better it is for our functioning.
I'm not too sure, but that would be my guess.

Sorry I'm not 100% certain, but I'll post it so someone can correct me if it's wrong (I'm learning too) :buck2:

doboman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
Re: These Prac's are doing my head in !
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 07:06:52 pm »
must say, thats a pretty good answer !!
"Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths"