Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:04:27 am

Author Topic: Hamlet question  (Read 1949 times)  Share 

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
Hamlet question
« on: October 21, 2007, 02:40:22 pm »
Ok so I'm doing a heaps of past exam q's, and there was this one:

'Chance, rather than Hamlet's own actions, determines the course of this play' Discuss

wtf?? What happens due to chance? I was thinking maybe all the stuff that happened on the pirate ship, but Hamlet accredits this to divine intervention, not chance.  
Are they expecting us to look at major events and decide whether it was due to chance or Hamlet? I just never really saw chance as a major theme in the play.
So all I can think of is- the fact that it was polonius behind the arras and not Claudius (although I don't really think this is due to chance, more Polonius' scheming??) or.. was it chance that hamlet runs into Young Fortinbras on his way to england which, it could be argued, spurs him to action? or.. gah I really don't get the idea of chance. Surely everything that happpens, happens as a result of someone's actions. Any ideas??

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Hamlet question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:32:48 pm »
thought of some more: Chance that the players come (and he thus capitalises on the to determine claudius' guilt), and chance that he walks in on claudius praying (maybe)
still think it's a stupid question

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Hamlet question
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 04:36:44 pm »
well i havnt done hamlet, but why dont you just disagree with it? or partially at least.

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Hamlet question
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 04:45:42 pm »
Quote from: "melanie.dee"
well i havnt done hamlet, but why dont you just disagree with it? or partially at least.

Well I will but I still have to refer to chance and be able to argue how certain events are not due to chance, or at least find events that might be considered to be due to chance so that I can refute this. And it's just odd because if it was an exam q. than the examiners obviously think there are elements of chance in the play

joechan521

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: Hamlet question
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:35:49 pm »
Quote from: "goosefraba"
Ok so I'm doing a heaps of past exam q's, and there was this one

I can only found 2 past year exam questions on Hamlet, 05 and 06. Can u share your heaps of exam q's?

and to answer your question, i would say chance had something to do with claudius was praying so cant kill him/murders polonius by mistake.
you can focus on what "determines the course of the play" and discuss how Hamlet's actions effected the course of the play.
06 method47 chinese 2nd language advanced39
07 english39 specailist44 accounting44 further48 psychology35
07 ENTER 99.15