Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:48:20 pm

Author Topic: 'Aussie Kim'  (Read 1892 times)  Share 

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Mac.Robertson Girls' High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
'Aussie Kim'
« on: January 30, 2011, 02:37:08 pm »
I was just wondering whether anyone knows why people refer to Kim Clijsters as 'Aussie Kim' despite her being a Belgium tennis player. I know that at one point she was engaged to lleyton Hewitt and that she has stated that she the enjoys the Australian way of life and the country itself.

So does the term Aussie refer to an Australian citizen or someone who shares and believes in the same values as Australians?
2010: Biology
2011: English | English Language | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Psychology

adelaide.emily10

Re: 'Aussie Kim'
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:50:13 pm »
I would love to knw the answer to this question as well! It's really confusing when people call her aussie kim, but she plays for belgium... :-\

tarek

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: -11
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:00:26 pm »
Australians like claiming people as 'Aussie.' So any little connection to Australia and they immediately become 'Aussie,' just like Mel Gibson who only spent a small portion of his life in Australia, is now considered by some to be 'Aussie.'

Albeno69

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 03:05:41 pm »
leytonn hewit is the reason cos she was engaged to leyton(i think) and thats why they call her aussie kim

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:24:37 pm »
leytonn hewit is the reason cos she was engaged to leyton(i think) and thats why they call her aussie kim

But when they were engaged, I'm pretty sure people never called her aussie Kim. I've just only heard of it this year.

Australians like claiming people as 'Aussie.' So any little connection to Australia and they immediately become 'Aussie,' just like Mel Gibson who only spent a small portion of his life in Australia, is now considered by some to be 'Aussie.'
What?! I thought Mel Gibson grew up in australia. Well, I think hardly anyone wants to call him Aussie now since of his reputation
2011: English | English Language | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Psychology

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:31:43 pm »

But when they were engaged, I'm pretty sure people never called her aussie Kim. I've just only heard of it this year.

Nah it's been like that for a while... It sort of pisses me off. What's she going to say when asked about Australia? "Lleyton's a dickhead and I actually don't like the country. In fact, I'm flying home tonight."

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 04:01:03 pm »
Maybe I should start explaining how this has to do with Englang
 I was thinking of using the example of 'Aussie Kim' show how the adjective 'Aussie' has broadened it's meaning to include those people who enjoy and share Australian values, even if they are not Australian citizens or residents. But then then more I think about it, the more I think that it has always been that way. So I guess this example is not new or recent enough to be included as an example in my essays.

'I think you can truly call me Aussie Kim now because I've won the Australian open. '- the statement that made me think :)

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 04:14:17 pm »
Hmm that's interesting :)

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 12:18:56 pm »
LOL, this is what she said 7 years ago

She said she had fully adapted to Australian life, including the Vegemite sandwiches she once avoided but can now occasionally stomach. She enjoys what she considers the feeling of year-round summer - clearly, she needs to spend a bit more time here in July and August - but would nevertheless struggle to live in Adelaide year-round.

Clijsters' next tournament will be in Antwerp, Belgium, next month. "I feel at ease when I'm in Australia, but I couldn't live for 12 months in Australia," she said, having been here since before the Davis Cup final two months ago. "I'm playing in Antwerp in February, and I'll be glad to be back in Belgium."

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/29/1075340786832.html