Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:59:19 pm

Author Topic: Language assistants  (Read 5814 times)  Share 

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
Language assistants
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:59:00 pm »
At my school this year we have a person from Germany who is helping in German classes two days a week. I find it so helpful to have a native speaker in the class.
So, I was just wondering if language assistants are common!? I think this is the first year we have had someone like this, so i was just curious. Does anyone else here have someone similar helping out at their school?
ATAR aim: 90+
2012- ???

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
Re: Language assistants
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:03:50 pm »
Wow, that's a really good idea! I'm studying Latin so I'm not sure how it'd work.

But what does the German assistant do? Surely your teacher is able to speak the language....?

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:07:45 pm »
Yeah, i reckon its awesome!

Haha, yeah, my teacher can speak the language. She just helps with pronunciation and stuff. She comes around and checks our work. Lately we have been doing a bit of preparation for our end-of-year oral, so she has been asking us questions in german.
The teacher is capable of doing the same i guess, but its great to have a native German helping. I think it will help a lot.

EDIT - by she, i mean the assistant
2012- ???

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:16:26 pm »

Haha, yeah, my teacher can speak the language. She just helps with pronunciation and stuff. She comes around and checks our work. Lately we have been doing a bit of preparation for our end-of-year oral, so she has been asking us questions in german.
The teacher is capable of doing the same i guess, but its great to have a native German helping. I think it will help a lot.

Yo! Yep, we have a native speaker as well, for the whole year! It means I've give up one of my Friday spares, but an hour of free tutoring once a week for a year, it's worth it! I believe it's a government schemeeeee.
2011 - English, English Language, Philosophy, Indonesian SL, Outdoor and Environmental Studies.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:19:27 pm »
We have the assistant for the whole year too. Thats a good idea seeing them once a week. That would help heaps!

Oh really, i guess if its a government scheme, a lot of schools would have the same thing. Thats interesting.
2012- ???

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:22:32 pm »
Can you link me to something about the govt scheme?

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 09:24:17 pm »
Can you link me to something about the govt scheme?

Nah sorry bro, I just got told from my Indo teacher :/

We have the assistant for the whole year too. Thats a good idea seeing them once a week. That would help heaps!

Oh really, i guess if its a government scheme, a lot of schools would have the same thing. Thats interesting.

Yeah, I'm really glad to have it.
2011 - English, English Language, Philosophy, Indonesian SL, Outdoor and Environmental Studies.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

Menang

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 09:32:17 pm »
Yup, my school employs a lote assistant for each language - french, indo, jap and german - for the vce students.

It's bloody useful - LOTEs are all about practice and fluency and there's no better way to do this than speaking with a native speaker who's hired to help. I say hired because, unlike a native speaker who's just a friend or relative, they actually correct your grammar, make sure you don't use slang, and help you improve on your sentence structures (all this in addition to the main goal of achieving fluency).

I totally recommend this for everyone, if your school doesn't offer it, get a tutor who will do the same thing! :D (For LOTEs with an oral component only, though - so not Latin, sorry. :P)

vea

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +29
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 09:34:54 pm »
At our school, they are going to invite Chinese elders from the community to come in and talk with us (1 on 1 convos). Have yet to have a session yet but hopefully it will be beneficial.
2011: ATAR 99.50
2012: Bachelor of Biomedicine, UoM
2015: Doctor of Dental Surgery, UoM

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 09:40:42 pm »
my school didn't have language assistants =[

I did get a tutor to compensate though.

Menang

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:41:45 pm »
Yeah, a tutor or a LOTE assistant - either one would work, I guess. :)

Did you think a tutor helped you much?

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »

Yo! Yep, we have a native speaker as well, for the whole year! It means I've give up one of my Friday spares, but an hour of free tutoring once a week for a year, it's worth it! I believe it's a government schemeeeee.
Yep that's what we have as well for jap! It's good as!!

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 09:48:15 pm »

It's hard for me to say how much it helped me but I reckon it did. Although my teacher at school was native as well the classes were quite slow paced and revolved very much around preparing for exams, and didn't help much in terms of language proficiency.

Technically the teachers had lunch time sessions but it's nice to have one on one help

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • diagnosed with poo brain
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:32:47 pm »
our teacher assigns a time for each of us to having conversation practice with "madako sensei" once a week in buildup towards the Oral Exam for yr 12's if that counts

Im looking forward to meeting her next week :D
2011 : English | Accounting | MM CAS | Further | Japanese | MUEP Japanese
2012 : BA(Japanese&Chinese)/BComm @ Monash Clayton

Menang

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 11:39:26 pm »

It's hard for me to say how much it helped me but I reckon it did. Although my teacher at school was native as well the classes were quite slow paced and revolved very much around preparing for exams, and didn't help much in terms of language proficiency.

Technically the teachers had lunch time sessions but it's nice to have one on one help

Yeah, I agree, the one on one help is really useful. And generally just the extra time a week you spend speaking the language. :)