Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 03:51:00 am

Author Topic: 10 Markers  (Read 1182 times)  Share 

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
10 Markers
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:47:13 pm »
So not entirely sure on marking schemes for tenners. Is it 1 per point, so a q about strengths and weaknesses of parliament as a law maker would need, for example, 5 strengths and 5 weaknesses? Is there something that essays have that differ them from just being a really long short answer?

schnappy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +7
Re: 10 Markers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 05:56:27 pm »
I've been told not to approach them as essays. Just do 3-4 linish responses per point, then you will get another mark for a counter point. Depending on the question you might get one or two marks for giving an opinion of some sort ('evaluate' etc), but I'm too a bit at ends about how to go about it.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 06:00:56 pm »
I presumed it was 4 corresponding strengths/weaknesses worth 2 marks each; totaling 8 marks. Then, the other 2 marks would come from stating whether you partially/totally agree or disagree with the statement. For a 10-mark question like "Parliament is the supreme law-maker, and has no major flaws." Discuss. (10 marks)", I would have 5 paragraphs in total; 4 paragraphs - each outlining a corresponding strength and weakness of Parliament as a law-maker, then one paragraph stating whether you agree/disagree with the statement. I tend to keep it simple with these types of questions.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 06:04:08 pm »
Cheers guys, that's what I did. Is an introduction necessary a la BM last year or straight Into it?

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:04:35 pm »
You have to be careful to address all elements of the question.
Look at some of the previous examiner's reports and how they marked responses. It's not necessarily a 5 strengths/5 weakness requirement, the question will try to be broad and i doubt they'll ask for it just one particular thing
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:13:57 pm »
Cheers guys, that's what I did. Is an introduction necessary a la BM last year or straight Into it?

I would generally give an "introduction paragraph", then go on to talk about the strengths and weakness of Parliament. Something like this (for the example question I gave above); "Parliament overall is an effective law-maker as it can make laws whenever the need arises, it has the resources to do so (time and money) and is a democratically-elected body, hence should represent the views of the people. However, there are weaknesses to Parliament as a law-maker, this includes; MPs may vote on party lines, it's a lengthy process through parliament, and it can't supervise all delegated legislation."

flash36

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:23:28 pm »
I usually gave just a line or two as an intro, probably just one sentence.

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:16:32 am »
Wow, you guys have started essays already! :P