Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:45:09 pm

Author Topic: [English] conservation of biodiversity speech language analysis  (Read 2164 times)  Share 

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
[English] conservation of biodiversity speech language analysis
« on: February 07, 2011, 04:14:54 pm »
This isn't the week 4 language analysis, I could not find the time(nor did i know how to write a double lang analysis) for that, so instead i decided to post my holiday homework task.

Chris Lee, a speaker at the 2010 International Biodiversity Conference addresses the issue of the importance of the conservation of Biodiversity. He contends that the world must unite and take action to protect the ‘variety of life on earth: biodiversity’. Addressing the audience with a sullen and accusatory tone he is able to position the reader in feeling responsible for the lack of action taken in preserving biodiversity, whilst highlighting its’ importance.

In his opening sentence, Chris Lee draws in the stakeholders by asserting that this is “of vital significance to our world”, leaving the reader to feel as if they are part of the issue and that it is there responsibility in helping solve the underlying problem. To define the importance of biodiversity, he refers to it as a ‘treasure’ eliciting a concerned response from the audience, as it is clear that treasure should not be lost, especially due to our own “thoughtless human actions”. However, to urge the audience to face the harsh reality, he unveils that hundreds of species are already extinct and “it is too late for them.” His shift in to a sullen and morose tone confronts the audience and makes them realise that the consequences of inaction has resulted in a loss of ‘treasure’. Lee’s words however carry the implication that something can still be done to save the other species.

To further his aim, Lee stipulates that biodiversity “essential to human wellbeing” and that “species diversity affects the quantity and quality of human food supply”. With that said, the audience is engaged in a much more personal manner, as it is illustrated that supplies essential for survival such as food and water are endangered. There is then a shift in Lee’s tone, as he depicts the audience as ‘affluent hunters and gatherers” who must “hunt less, gather less, conserve more and preserve more”. In doing so, he puts everyone on an equal playing field in conserving biodiversity. It is made known to the audience that economic wealth, military power and such, cannot account for our disregard of the environment. Rather, immediate action in terms of conservation and protection is required and we must learn to use resources properly.

Lee then discards his optimistic tone and adopts sarcasm as he issues a rhetorical question if whether “any of this is new information?” only to then quickly follow up and state “of course not!” Hand-in-hand with this is an image of the Earth resting in human hands. The image elicits a sense of responsibility amongst the audience as it implies we have the most influence over the trajectory of the health our planet undertakes. To conclude his presentation, Lee bluntly states that there is no time for talk, but only “for serious action”, further addressing the urgency of this issue.

With a variety of tones, Lee is able to elicit a sense of responsibility from his audience for the fact that international inaction has lead to an alarming loss of biodiversity, and should we stall any further, we will be letting down our planet, and sealing our own perdition.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:19:08 pm by nacho »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me