Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:55:30 pm

Author Topic: opinions? especially from those who have read enduring love  (Read 865 times)  Share 

vce01

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +2
okay ive done a radio show transcript based on this prompt: when we attempt to make order out of chaos then we risk distorting reality. its for a sac. its on enduring love. anyway im gonna post the main part of the transcript, basically its a school helping kinda show (lame i know but it doesnt matter :p )and some kid has emailed them with the prompt asking them to discuss it in relation to the book as well as life in general.

so here it is (btw the guest is karen, i just cbf changing it now haha)

Initial exchanges and then host reads email and introduces prompt to guest/karen and asks for thoughts.

Guest: Ah –pause- this statement, I think, could be interpreted in a whole lot of ways depending on how you look at it.  There is fact based reality when, no matter how you look at something, it can’t be changed. A box is a box. Sure, you could go beyond that and expand, but the fact remains and what we see cannot be interpreted in any other way. But then of course there is subjective reality, which is really... our reality, modified by our views, experiences, focus and even sometimes just looking at things how we want it to be.  I believe that statement is focusing more on the subjective part of reality and I would have to agree, we risk distorting it when we, as it states, try to make order out of chaos. The word ‘distorting’ in this case however doesn’t necessarily have to have a negative connotation as it often does. In fact there would be no such thing because...our reality, my reality, will most likely differ to yours, as well with our listeners, but this doesn’t mean I would necessarily have a more ‘positive’ reality than anyone else. In saying that, there is no argument from me in that we certainly risk changing our reality, when there is an effort made to restore order into our lives.
Host: Hm, those are some very good points you have made there, Karen. Let’s press on though, how does this prompt relate to the book? Any examples that support your views?
Guest:  Well, yes in fact, there is one incident in the book that does spring to mind. Joe Rose...the protagonist of the book, witnesses a murdering attempt orchestrated by Jed Perry, a character who has an obsession with him. The detective taking charge of investigating the incident doesn’t believe Joe when he says that - and this may sound ridiculous, but readers would understand – he was the one Jed intended to have killed. It makes sense why the detective wouldn’t believe him though, because his version of events fails to correspond with those of others who had been previously interrogated. Joe, in trying to figure out Jed’s intentions had distorted his reality of events around him.
Host: You had alluded to something about losing focus?
Guest: Yes, exactly. It’s very common, you’d have to be an incredibly observant person to remember everything around you in normal circumstances, let alone when something else is on your mind.
Host: Alright. Moving on. We have a special request from <student name> here, in his email. He asks us to voice our thoughts on how that prompt could relate to our world, outside the book. Thoughts on that, Karen?
Guest: Of course. The word chaos is yet another subjective term and depending upon your interpretation can take varying levels. It could be as tragic as the September 11 attacks and it could also represent itself as something what I would view minor in comparison, such as relationship troubles among couples. In both cases, you will often find that there is a fair amount of sugar-coating done in order to correct or bring some calmness to the situation, to one or many additional parties. But in doing so you are changing your own reality, and this is something I had talked about earlier. In times of suffering or distress, it’s not uncommon to look for positives to get yourself up and going again. Sometimes it may not even be there, and that doesn’t really matter because as long as you believe in it, that is all that counts eventually. In that sense we do distort our reality but we do it for our own and even others’ benefit.
Host: And there is nothing wrong with that.
Guest: Don’t see any harm in it myself Max.
Host: Well, thank you for your time and views, Karen. I’m afraid that is all the time we have for today. Stay tuned for the live coverage of the cricket coming up, at the MCG. Until tomorrow, it’s goodbye from us on Grade Saver, the daily radio show that will continue to help students around Australia.

aaand those who go to my school (you'd know who you are!) dont copy!! :p not that i expect anyone to since its due like this week haha.

anyway, could i have some opinions on it? thanks :)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:41:06 pm by vce01 »
ENTER - 96.00

2009: Commerce/Law @ ANU.