Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 08:52:29 pm

Author Topic: Sac T_T  (Read 4735 times)  Share 

Devva[R]

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • ニャァァァァァァー
  • Respect: +8
  • School: West Side Schools
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Sac T_T
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 08:36:04 pm »
I used to be one of those 'weaker' students in listening. In year 11, I would score 20% in listening tests and sacs. Then I started 100% pure Japanese exposure + massive vocab SRS cramming. (no english at all) My listening comprehension shot up like crazy. It's been about 1 month since I started but I did my listening SAC about 2 weeks ago. I reckon, if I did my SAC now, I could have scored even better. At this point, I know about 65% of the vocab on the vocab list provided and planning to finish up on the last 35% over the next 2 weeks.(approx 1500 words)

The next four months will be dedicated to increasing my passive vocabulary even more(hopefully to reach about 5000 words), and build my active vocabulary through output(speaking and writing).

@Fyrefly - output is always meant to be harder than input. The reason why VCE students find listening "harder" than output(writing and speaking) is because output isn't true output. It's actually rote rotate a bunch of lines in response to rote questions and regurgitate them back to the examiner - no actual "on the spot" speaking and confined to a small number of topics. As for writing, hardly any kanji(150), few "grammar patterns"(65), no causative or passive form and also confined to a small number of topics. Also dictionary allowed. 60 minutes for 500ji.

Also people suck at Japanese because resources are limited. Outside, native resources such as news or even anime or drama is too hard for the scope of the course usually in terms of vocabulary or kanji. I think the people who do well in VCE Japanese are those whos ability is beyond the scope of VCE Japanese and are able to make sure of "outside resources".
tl:dr - Massive exposure + massive vocab SRS cramming = ftw. (Also make sure you know your grammar well)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:56:21 pm by Devva[R] »
2012: Bachelor of Software Engineering(Maths Minor) IBL Stream @ Monash University, Clayton
2014: Internship
2015: Graduate!

robertnyan.com

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • diagnosed with poo brain
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 09:40:48 pm »
^ just out of curiosity, do you have kirisawa sensei as your teacher? :D

Kirisawa Erina sensei? No, but she gave me a one-on-one tutoring session once. She's very kind.
I'm curious now too... how do you know her?

Edit: Wait... from MUEP Jap?

yeah she's my teacher for MUEP Japanese
2011 : English | Accounting | MM CAS | Further | Japanese | MUEP Japanese
2012 : BA(Japanese&Chinese)/BComm @ Monash Clayton

Angelz369

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 10:37:00 pm »
I got my report today and I'm shattered. I got B for the oral component. Honestly thought I would at least get an A since my sac score was 18/20. I knew tht my cohort was strong, but I didn't know it was that strong.
Man it's really degrading...

azure

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 11:26:20 pm »
I got my report today and I'm shattered. I got B for the oral component. Honestly thought I would at least get an A since my sac score was 18/20. I knew tht my cohort was strong, but I didn't know it was that strong.
Man it's really degrading...

Don't be so disheartened. A strong cohort is good for you in the long run. Strong cohort --> less likely your SAC scores would be scaled down if everyone does well... there might be a chance that all your SAC marks would be given a boost if your cohort (and yourself) do amazingly well in the end of year exam. Just makes the SACS seem tough :) Good luck.
2010: Chinese SL
2011: English, Japanese SL, Chemistry, Methods, Economics