Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:07:44 pm

Author Topic: Exam Text Response - Is it too risky to only study for one text?  (Read 6073 times)  Share 

roly182

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: Exam Text Response - Is it too risky to only study for one text?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 12:17:41 am »
Study both if you've kept up with them throughout the year. Naturally you'll have a favourite and thats the one you will prefer to write on but there ARE dodgy questions. Like the Look Both Ways sound/silence sample question. Think about it, by studying both you double the chances of getting a question that you have addressed before and what that can do to your confidence levels in the exam could deffinantly boost your other sections considerably. My sister last year got a question that she had already written her speech on as well as a practise essay a week before the exam: She got 42 and wrote her POV piece in 5 minutes. A familiar question would obviously be so beneficial, as long as your not some idiot who writes an irrelevant essay that they frantically convince themselves is the same as the question. But if that is you, you shouldnt be 35+ anyway. Know each really well, i mean its english, come on... Anyway it's not like we have to learn our context texts back to front.  By the way, wth is up with TSFX english lectures? Like, chem, methods and bio last year were fantastic. Today i learned that i have to memorise 10 quotes, making it extremely likely i wont be able to use quotes at all, as well as that Sir Thomas More can be regarded as a man for all seasons? Thats lucky, i was going to say that he was a well seasoned man instead. And the notes where just misquoted crap i could find in any study guide for half the price but without giving up a whole day of studying. English lectures are crap. Better off staying home and writing a few essays. But anyway if its this time of the year and you dont really know one of your texts at all if you havn't been going over them throughout the year, then yeah, i'd just go for the one.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:21:45 am by roly182 »
The University of Melbourne
Bachelor of Biomedicine

2008 VCE Results

Biology - 43 
Chem - 41
Methods - 42
Psych - 50
English - 45
Enviro - 45
Enter - 99.25

amyminchin

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Finished...
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 11:22:50 am »
There's no way in hell I'm preparing for A Man For All Seasons. LBW is a) EASIER to write on b) funner to write on and c) there's so much in it that you can talk about. Symbolism, camera angles etc.

Although, I am a media student as well- so maybe thats why I favour LBW so much
english.further.psych.lit.media
ENTER of 85.05

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

2009-
Arts/Teaching (Secondary) at ACU

sxcalexc

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 11:32:40 am »
There's no way in hell I'm preparing for A Man For All Seasons. LBW is a) EASIER to write on b) funner to write on and c) there's so much in it that you can talk about. Symbolism, camera angles etc.

Although, I am a media student as well- so maybe thats why I favour LBW so much
Personally, I really like AMFAS. Oddly enough, I've enjoyed both of the play texts the most in both years of VCE ie. Macbeth and A Man for All Seasons. They tend to have a lot more depth and ranging implications, in my opinion.

costargh

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 11:42:36 am »
What do you mean by 'raging implications'?

amyminchin

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Finished...
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 11:45:44 am »
I quite enjoy reading AMFAS- but I don't love it and I hate writing on it. So no way known I'm doing it.
I enjoyed my two plays in Lit. Don't get me wrong, I love plays just not... AMFAS
english.further.psych.lit.media
ENTER of 85.05

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

2009-
Arts/Teaching (Secondary) at ACU

transgression

• de Modular, corp.
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 11:54:00 am »
Leaning towards 1984, but I will study for both.

What costargh said is correct,
Quote from: costargh
Furthermore, I think of it like this. If you study well enough to understand it fully, you WILL be able to answer any question that arises because you have prepared for that. Eg. In legal if you are confident with the whole course you should be able answer any question that arises...

But I don't think there is any harm learning/studying a bit about the other text response...you never know what will happen in the exam.
Quote from:  wah wah
FACEBOOK

sxcalexc

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 12:02:19 pm »
What do you mean by 'raging implications'?
By 'ranging implications' I mean there is, comparatively, a lot more that can be interpreted from the texts and despite their age, they seem to be very relevant, even today. This quality of being timeless and boundless is part of the reason they intrigue me.

costargh

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 12:22:33 pm »
Leaning towards 1984, but I will study for both.

What costargh said is correct,
Quote from: costargh
Furthermore, I think of it like this. If you study well enough to understand it fully, you WILL be able to answer any question that arises because you have prepared for that. Eg. In legal if you are confident with the whole course you should be able answer any question that arises...

But I don't think there is any harm learning/studying a bit about the other text response...you never know what will happen in the exam.

There is an opportunity cost.

mand3e

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Year 12 makes me emo.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 11:00:43 pm »
soo.. whats the consensus? study both or one? there should seriously be a poll on this.

i'm favoring to study one text (LBW)... although.. im not too sure anymore.
2007: International Studies (38)
2008: Accounting, Economics, English, Further Maths, Psychology.

If we're doing similar subjects, feel free to befriend me.
"You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours!" LOL

misskaraleah

• Journalist Extraordinnaire
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I believe impossible is possible to overcome
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2008, 11:17:46 am »
Personally i suggest studying for one text, as you will be more confident with whatever question that does arise. I see it pointless to study two, when you could spend more time studying for anotehr subject. Because i have a choice between writing on LBW or 1984, i decided to write on LBW, because 1: im more confident with it, and 2: it would take me longer to read-re-read 1984 in depth and gain a thorough understanding.

costargh

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 11:19:05 am »
Even at all the English lectures they lecturers talk as if you should have already made your mind up as to which text you are going to write on.