Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:21 pm

Author Topic: Year 11 Grades  (Read 6781 times)  Share 

dehaitest

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Year 11 Grades
« on: September 28, 2008, 11:59:41 pm »
My grades haven't been top notch. I was "manipulated" to do history by our year 11 student coordinator (even though my History grades in year 10 were Cs  and Ds because I simply did not like/care about history.) I did try to tune into history this year but I got bored of it before the end of term 1.
I decided to carry through with it, even though my grades were going down hill. I also do Latin, a subject that I don't enjoy, and haven't been getting the best of grades. This was all before I had the idea of doing UMEP Maths.

I've read their requirements for Maths (something along the lines of B/B+ for all non-prerequisite subjects and A/A+ for prerequisites).

Long story short:
I'm doing MM3/4 this year and I've been getting bad grades in 2 subjects (As and Bs for others). Will UoM still accept me into their UMEP Maths? Will I be able to do it if I simply get 40+ in MM3/4? I've filled out the application form already (haven't handed it back) and I did write quite a bit for the "Why I wish to participate in UMEP"  ;D

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Re: Year 11 Grades
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:49:24 pm »
get your teacher to write something nice as well. they basically want to see that you have the organisation skills to not lose focus when you have the uni load + year 12, hence why the grades requirement for all subjects.

you should also look into doing it via Monash [even though it is less prestigious]. They cover some multivar calculus, which is not part of UoM's course.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:57:47 pm »
As long as you get over 40 in methods they will let you in. I did quite bad in some subjects in year 11 and they accepted me; even though they did ring to question me.
[IMG]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2506/avatarcg3.png[/img]
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"It's not a community effort"
"It's not allowed. Only death is a valid excuse"
"Probably for the first time time this year I was totally flabbergasted by some of the 'absolute junk' I had to correct .... I was going to use 'crap' but that was too kind a word"
"How can you expect to do well when
-you draw a lemon as having two half-cells connected with a salt bridge
-your lemons come with Cu2+ ions built in" - Dwyer
"Why'd you score so bad?!" - Zotos
"Your arguments are seri

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:10:28 pm »
I didn't get accepted, even though my grades were pretty reasonable. I guess that 30 in Psychology really let me down. :(

dehaitest

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:37:30 am »
@Mao: Thanks I'll look into MUEP Maths however our school offers UMEP and I thought it would be nice to stay on campus. Although I dont know what multivariable calculus is, anything with calculus should be fun right? :D And I'll try to get the teacher to write nice things however I don't think my teacher works that way. :(

@ed saifa: Ah I hope that is the case for me too. :O

@xox.happy1.xox: That's a shame. Oh well that just leaves more time for you to study other subjects right? :D

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:10:05 am »
This happened to me!

I got like Bs and Cs for a few of my year 11 subjects but 44 for methods. They rejected me initially, but my maths teacher campaigned for me and I got in. I then proceeded to show those *not-nice-word*s what was what. :P

Damo17

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:14:11 am »
I'm getting all A's but mostly A+'s for all my subjects. Even though I won't get a 40+ for either of my two 3+4's I am doing this year. Would I still have a good chance at doing MUEP Maths or even UMEP Maths?
2011: Science - ANU

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:16:05 am »
I'm sure that Monash would accept you.
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"Probably for the first time time this year I was totally flabbergasted by some of the 'absolute junk' I had to correct .... I was going to use 'crap' but that was too kind a word"
"Your arguments are seri

Damo17

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:24:32 am »
I'm sure that Monash would accept you.

Good, that's where I want to go. It's not very far from me whereas Melbourne's way too far away.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 11:26:11 am »
in comparison, Monash is much... ermm can we say, "less stringent" on their selection criteria :P
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 12:31:56 pm »
For UMEP: I got in with a high 30's score for my 3/4. If the 3/4 you're doing is not a prerequisite, then you can get even less without it mattering a great deal. Some people get in without doing any 3/4s. You do need to have a good average across your year 11 subjects. If you're doing badly in a couple subjects it doesn't matter, as long as you make up for it with your other subjects.

Damo17

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 12:50:23 pm »
For UMEP: I got in with a high 30's score for my 3/4. If the 3/4 you're doing is not a prerequisite, then you can get even less without it mattering a great deal. Some people get in without doing any 3/4s. You do need to have a good average across your year 11 subjects. If you're doing badly in a couple subjects it doesn't matter, as long as you make up for it with your other subjects.

So basically, I want to do Enhancement Maths so I really only need to do well in my maths subjects and just ordinary in my other non-prerequisite studies?

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 02:49:40 pm »

So basically, I want to do Enhancement Maths so I really only need to do well in my maths subjects and just ordinary in my other non-prerequisite studies?
Monash would probably accept you if you got B,Cs in your math subjects.
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"Your arguments are seri

Damo17

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 03:00:27 pm »
Monash would probably accept you if you got B,Cs in your math subjects.

They are that lenient? I would never have thought that low for prerequisite subjects.

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 03:03:47 pm »
Yep, they're are *very* lenient.
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"Your arguments are seri