Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:10:43 pm

Author Topic: Is it too late to catchup?  (Read 2044 times)  Share 

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
Is it too late to catchup?
« on: October 05, 2008, 04:43:35 pm »
I used to like Latin when I did well in it. I've really had no interest in Latin and have not been motivated to study for it because of another 3/4 subject. However, I do wish to continue with Latin and was wondering:
Is it too late to catchup in the summer holidays? (Transition from year 11 to 12)

I've literally forgotten 98% of the grammar. I only remember (vaguely) the very basic, such as noun cases and adjective (bonus, bonum etc). I'm falling behind in scansion and my vocabulary diminishes every time I finish a vocabulary test.

I want to continue on doing Latin and will try hard in year 12.. but is it simply too late?

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
Re: Is it too late to catchup?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 06:01:05 pm »
its not the matter of being too late, but as you said before you put aside your latin because of the 3/4 you had well now you think about next year you will have like 5 subjects 3/4's will you put latin aside again? Umm well if you are going to try to catch up i suggest talking to your teacher and make a sort of schedule for you to complete during the summer break so that you will be back to speed when school starts next year. A language is one of the most hardest things to catch up on compared to other subjects so this is a difficult task. The scaling on Latin is just sooO MUCh so thats a good reason why to continue since all you need is a 30 to get a 40+ but they have that scaling for a reason its difficult!! Anyways if your going to continue it best of luck consult with your Latin teacher is the most reasonable thing to do first and then make a routine for yourself in the summer so that all the workload is spread through each subject.

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 07:36:40 pm »
its not the matter of being too late, but as you said before you put aside your latin because of the 3/4 you had well now you think about next year you will have like 5 subjects 3/4's will you put latin aside again? Umm well if you are going to try to catch up i suggest talking to your teacher and make a sort of schedule for you to complete during the summer break so that you will be back to speed when school starts next year. A language is one of the most hardest things to catch up on compared to other subjects so this is a difficult task. The scaling on Latin is just sooO MUCh so thats a good reason why to continue since all you need is a 30 to get a 40+ but they have that scaling for a reason its difficult!! Anyways if your going to continue it best of luck consult with your Latin teacher is the most reasonable thing to do first and then make a routine for yourself in the summer so that all the workload is spread through each subject.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I know a language isn't just something like Biology or Accounting which one can pickup in Unit 3/4 :( I'll try arrange a schedule too. Thanks again.

lishan515

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 09:40:47 pm »
I don't think it is too late for Latin.
You will be exposed to so much latin next year that you will improve even if you don't think you are improving.
There is plenty of time to revise grammar
If you get 30 - you get 46 (last year)
As you have done it this far - I would recommend that you keep going.
If you are struggling then speak to your teacher- but if you aren't keep going.

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 09:48:27 pm »
I don't think it is too late for Latin.
You will be exposed to so much latin next year that you will improve even if you don't think you are improving.
There is plenty of time to revise grammar
If you get 30 - you get 46 (last year)
As you have done it this far - I would recommend that you keep going.
If you are struggling then speak to your teacher- but if you aren't keep going.

Thanks for the recommendation lishan. I'll try push on. :)

niena18

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:46:29 pm »
hahah i didnt even know what the nominative case was at end of year 11! and this year ive gotten A+ on all my sacs...so yeah