Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 03:13:34 am

Author Topic: Japanese Exam  (Read 5727 times)  Share 

garrc90

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Japanese Exam
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:13:47 pm »
Hey..
Im just wondering if anyone can give me some good advice for the Japanese written..
I'm really scared.. and I failed my Practise one
for example any techniques?? Things to do in my exam??
How should I study/revise... For the Listening, and reading comprehension..
These areas are my weakest..
SO any help would be great..
thanks

Chihiro

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
Re: Japanese Exam
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:49:03 pm »
I'm in exactly the same boat and I really want a 30. Advice would be much appreciated.

Pandemonium

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 06:02:22 pm »
英語の分類で英語の答え書いて、
日本語の部分で日本語の答えを書いて…

それだけでいいじゃん?wwww

俺は運が悪くて、耳が遠いので、多分試験を落ちるはずです。

Aurelie.

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 12:59:47 am »
I did Japanese last year and ended up with a 32 (which sounds dodgy, but apparently gets scaled to like a 40?) For a 32 my three grades with my study score were: A, B+, A
I never dropped below an A on any SAC, so I only got a B+ for Unit 4 after it was standardized I think.

How do you think you went on your Oral exam?? Both exams really arent as scary as your teacher probably makes them out to be (mine did!) The examiners DO NOT expect you to be perfect. They expect you to be competent & relatively sensical; like a student studying japanese.

It isn't exactly an easy exam though either. I found the listening most challenging.. make sure you do lots of practice (leading edge & past exams are good). Listening is tricky, because you can't really predict what it'll be about and its hard to look up words exactly if you miss them or write them down wrong. Hence, go over and make sure you recognize most of the words on the VCAA (i think) grammar list, even if you hear them (you don't really need to be able to recall most of it). For instance, our exam was about freaking earthquake survival tips.. when I got in there I was just like wtf? HELP!
For reading, as with listening, get a hold of as many chunks of texts as you can in the next week or two and answer all the questions you can find on them- if there aren't any questions, summarize the thing; turn it from polite to casual form or vice versa.. and be able to recognize the kanji. I mean, you do have your dictionary, so don't stress too much if your kanji recall isn't perfect, but you've got to know it. Revise your grammar points too, as you cant exactly look most of them up in the dictionary. Make up cue cards or construct sentences, whatever you need to do.
For writing, make up a few generic sentences encompassing most - if not all - grammar patterns that you can manipulate and utilise in the exam. As I said before, you have the dictionary in the reading and written areas, so don't stress too much if your kanji and that aren't perfect, either. And know your text types!! They can save you in this section. (Generally the easier prompts are letters or speeches or articles too, so brush up on them -- if I were you I wouldn't even consider the creative prompts!)
We had to have a written piece in at least once a week, but if you havent been doing that, its not too late to get a heap done, even if they don't get corrected, you've still got the practice there and it will help.

I know that was all pretty generic, but it does really help.. if I think of anything else, I'll stop by and let you know :)

OH! and dw about failing practice exams, I failed all of mine too.. you're generally in a different mind set in your actual exam -- you know its the real thing and that you have to do the best you can -- as soon as someone says 'practice', most people stop caring.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:02:50 am by Aurelie. »
~ Aura ~

social science, anyone?!

Quickclaw

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:09:24 pm »
hehe, I did Japanese last year as well =)
Cant say anything better than what Aurelie said but nevertheless
My personal advice would be
1. review your vocabulary ( written )
2. try to recognize certain words ( for listening )
and practice the last section many many many times =)
oh and dont be late to the exam! as silly as it sounds it is what put me down last yea because I couldn't find Canterbury girls lol
But yea don't stress and do your best =)
< 2007 > Japanese 38
< 2008 > Spec Methods Physics Chem English

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 07:36:06 pm »
dam 38 for Japanese thats good ... i want a 43 or 44 RAW i know its asking a bit much and even though not of japanese background, i still want it lols its scales to 50 straight away so yea but i would be satisfied with a 37-40 RAW

Quickclaw

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 04:53:28 pm »
hehe it is very possible if you're determined and I wish you luck XD
< 2007 > Japanese 38

sonnypls

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:24:18 pm »
Even natives don't achieve 40raw at times.

Pandemonium

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 09:31:45 pm »
hehe it is very possible if you're determined and I wish you luck XD
no it's not.

Quickclaw

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 09:59:06 pm »

The course isn't really made to give an advantage to natives, besides some native forget their language over time especially when they don't speak it here. It's just the matter of practice.
< 2007 > Japanese 38

Pandemonium

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 11:20:42 pm »

The course isn't really made to give an advantage to natives, besides some native forget their language over time especially when they don't speak it here. It's just the matter of practice.
highly doubting that natives don't speak their language here.
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly doubting.
japanese people, like korean people and chinese people and vietnamese people and basically any other asian people tend to group together and speak to each other in their native tongue.
it's a security thing.

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 02:39:26 pm »
lols... japanese native speakers only have trouble in Jap SL because they speak in a casual way and not in a formal way same goes for writing. But they have an advantage over us anyways. Japanese natives = 45+ RAW and half japanese background = 43-47 RAW and have some experience in japan (exchange for a long time, speak it constantly or really dedicated to the subject) 40-45 RAW lols those are jsut my guesses since i know people in those categories.

Pandemonium

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 04:26:07 pm »
i don't know man.
i don't really think learning -masu/desu form is really thaaaaaat challenging even for a casual speaker.

Quickclaw

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 10:06:42 pm »
Japanese isn't all about that lol
< 2007 > Japanese 38

Pandemonium

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive