Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:56:08 pm

Author Topic: Fetching UMEP Results early  (Read 8648 times)  Share 

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Fetching UMEP Results early
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:09:41 pm »
In the University of Melbourne, there is a method used to fetch results a day early. The university announces a date that the results will be published (in my case, the 7th). We will use my example:

On the 6th, all the exams will have been marked and the scores tallied by then (plus any other adjustments they wish to make). They will upload the results onto the database that night, usually before 5pm. The results page will not allow you to login until the 7th, but there is a method to access the database in an alternative way. You can fetch your "full result history," which will send you an automated email in an hour after the request. This will include all your past marks, including the marks that have just been placed on the database recently! So to get your results a day early, you'll want to be using the "full result history" request every hour that day until the email returns your history of marks with the freshly uploaded marks! (Note: if you get ***, it means the marks are not uploaded onto the database yet, try again, and wait another hour. Usually its before 5pm the night before the announced results day.)

Links:
Standard results page: https://sis.unimelb.edu.au/cgi-bin/results.pl
Full results history page: https://sis.unimelb.edu.au/cgi-bin/full-results.pl (This is the trick you use :))
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 06:12:29 pm by coblin »

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: Fetching UMEP Results early
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:28:09 am »
That's kind of what I did last semester, though I did it by accident. I was told my results would be out on the Thursday, so I kept checking and they weren't there. So then I randomly requested that they send me my history of results, I don't know why, maybe out of frustration or maybe I thought they'd email me after the results came through. When the email came I was startled because it actually had the results on it, I just scrolled down expecting to see the ***. I plan on doing this on Thursday as well. Good tip!

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 08:18:23 am »
Woah, does Unimelb know about this glitch? Or are they doing this on 'purpose', I guess you could say?

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:20:35 am »
Woah, does Unimelb know about this glitch? Or are they doing this on 'purpose', I guess you could say?

It's been working ever since my sister's been in university, which is 5 years ago. They are most likely aware of it, but they probably don't care if people get their results early. If they're ready, and people get them, what's the harm? Cost (to fix the system) outweighs the benefit (adhering to the strict timeline). You also will have a higher concentration of people checking on the actual date after it's fixed, which means increased server load, possibly adding to the costs.

costargh

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:58:29 am »

It's been working ever since my sister's been in university, which is 5 years ago. They are most likely aware of it, but they probably don't care if people get their results early. If they're ready, and people get them, what's the harm? Cost (to fix the system) outweighs the benefit (adhering to the strict timeline). You also will have a higher concentration of people checking on the actual date after it's fixed, which means increased server load, possibly adding to the costs.

Ahh. So maybe its a deliberate glitch to ease the traffic? haha

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 04:04:43 pm »

Ahh. So maybe its a deliberate glitch to ease the traffic? haha

Just like how VTAC opens the results server for public access at 6:45am to 6:50am. (10 minutes before 7am)

costargh

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 03:58:32 pm »
Wow. Excited now

midas_touch

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Serial Trout Slapper
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 05:39:41 pm »
I remember u talking about this last semester Coblin, thanks for putting it up again :).
Some snippets of what goes on in IRC:

<chath> ill say " i wont let you go until u kiss me bitch"

<@enwiabe> i have the BEST orgasms when i'm working through a math problem

<@mark_alec> my bikini line however, is most important

Are you scared yet?

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 06:07:06 pm »
Well, 6:06 and it works right now. Try it.  :(
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

midas_touch

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Serial Trout Slapper
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 06:41:03 pm »
Just got my results....straight H1's :).
Some snippets of what goes on in IRC:

<chath> ill say " i wont let you go until u kiss me bitch"

<@enwiabe> i have the BEST orgasms when i'm working through a math problem

<@mark_alec> my bikini line however, is most important

Are you scared yet?

silvy

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 06:50:19 pm »
i got 71 H2B... =(
just wanna ask.. if my mark is 70.. does that mean that im in the 70th percentile? Is there a way we can know which percentile we are in now?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 06:55:40 pm by silvy »

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 07:01:24 pm »
Well. I think your mark is calculated as max(exam mark, 0.9 * exam mark + 0.1 * assignments), with the exception of last year I think, which was scaled a bit due to hard exams.
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

silvy

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 07:04:13 pm »
so.. we won't be able to know whether we get 4.0, 5.0 or 5.5 (ie.. our percentiles) for uni maths until the 17th dec when our VCE results are out?

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 07:07:44 pm »
Not sure, if you got H1 I'm pretty sure that means 5.5. I think you got 5.0, but don't quote me.

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 07:13:32 pm »
Actually, I think it's best you just wait and see if 71 beats 80% of the cohort.