Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:07:58 pm

Author Topic: Fetching UMEP Results early  (Read 8646 times)  Share 

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
Re: Fetching UMEP Results early
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 03:12:33 pm »
Well. I think your mark is calculated as max(exam mark, 0.9 * exam mark + 0.1 * assignments), with the exception of last year I think, which was scaled a bit due to hard exams.
yeah it was definitely scaled, there's no way i only dropped 11% of marks...

heh, i love how there's a forum purely dedicated to UMEP maths. brilliant!
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 03:28:52 pm »
Btw, humphdogg you're majoring in maths right? I'm considering it. How are you finding it?  :)
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 03:42:53 pm »
yes, i am. and for the love of god, please don't waste your talent doing something mindless like actuarial studies! so so so boring... stupid applications. pfft. who wants that? do pure maths  :)

but yes. highly enjoying maths - next year i'll only be doing maths courses, 4 each semester. fun! the maths i do is all pretty pure stuff - i have to do some courses on ODEs and PDEs next year but i'll mainly be doing a lot of analysis - real, complex, topology, that kinda thing. i did a 3rd year course on number theory last semester, which was really fun. so i'm hoping that once i've done a complex analysis course next year that i'll be able to do a fair bit of research in analytic number theory - prime number theorem, riemann hypothesis, that kinda thing.

my degree (PhB science) allows me to do a lot more than most undergraduates, mind you. though i do take normal courses, i also get to do ASCs - advanced studies courses. these count as a standalone course, and are basically research. if i were doing bio or chem, it might be a major lab followed by a detailed report (20-40 pages long, at least). as i'm doing maths, basically what it means is that i find a supervisor in the maths department at uni, who sets me up with a topic to research. it's often a graduate level topic - last semester the topic i covered was hyperbolic geometry, while over the summer i'll be doing an ASC on convexity. the supervisor basically guides me for a couple of weeks in my research. we then discuss what i'll write my research paper on. for hyperbolic geometry, we decided on looking into topology; my paper was called something like universal covers and fundemantal domains of hyperbolic manifolds. i then write the paper (mine was only about 10 pages long, but in later years they can be much longer), which is marked.

so yeah. to be honest, i've been surprised how much i've come to love maths at uni. the courses i've been doing have been quite proof-based, and it's easy to get addicted to finding the perfect proof. i did take some physics and astrophysics courses too, but they were pretty boring. maths ftw...
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 03:53:35 pm »
THANK YOU FUCK. AHMAD SHOULD NOT WASTE HIS AWESOME, MASSIVE BRAIN ON FUCKING ACTUARIAL. YOU ARE AWESOME. THANK YOU FOR FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT. SAVE AHMAD FROM ACTUARIAL!

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 03:55:16 pm »
 :smitten: maths

That is, simply put, so awesome Peter.  :D
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2007, 04:04:13 pm »
hehe. precisely  ;)

but srsly, don't do actuarial studies. dreary stuff.

i still don't get why people like you don't apply for PhB. god knows i plug it enough  ;D but it's the best science degree in the country. and you 'only' need around 99.65 or so to get a full scholarship at ANU ($10,000 a year).
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2007, 04:12:24 pm »
You only need 99.65 at ANU :O. Curse umelb. :(