Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:46:32 am

Author Topic: Books for next year - Year 12 Lit  (Read 5782 times)  Share 

Pie 4 Life

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Books for next year - Year 12 Lit
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:07:28 am »
Hey guys, I'm new on here, I'm going into Year 12 next year, and Lit is my favourite subject. However I believe the books look a lot more difficult than Year 11, we're doing:

The Good Earth
The Hamilton Case
King Lear
Island Stories
This Boy's Life

Any tips or thoughts on these books?

perfect_broken

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
Re: Books for next year - Year 12 Lit
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 10:46:49 pm »
Are you sure it's not 'The White Earth'?
I am finishing my literature this year and I can't wait!
I did a semester last year, but i couldnt complete it due to illness. It's not harder than units 1/2, but it is a lot more involved. Be prepared for some serious reading, and be ready to re-read ALL of your novels 3-4 times. Trust me - this works a treat!

Pie 4 Life

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:20:58 am »
Are you sure it's not 'The White Earth'?
I am finishing my literature this year and I can't wait!
I did a semester last year, but i couldnt complete it due to illness. It's not harder than units 1/2, but it is a lot more involved. Be prepared for some serious reading, and be ready to re-read ALL of your novels 3-4 times. Trust me - this works a treat!

Nope it's "The Good Earth" it's a chinese novel about the industrial revolution. Cheers for that :)

lishan515

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:56:47 pm »
Importance of Being Earnest (A)
A room of one's own (A)
Keats poetry (B)
A passage to india (B)
King Lear(B)

Are our texts... probably another might appear next year... not sure

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:38:16 am »
Importance of Being Earnest (A)
A room of one's own (A)
Keats poetry (B)
A passage to india (B)
King Lear(B)

I did A Room of One's Own and The Importance of Being Earnest last year. I liked them both, though most of my clas didn't seem to like A Romm of One's Own for some reason.

Rietie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 02:29:28 pm »
Hey, I love Lit and the books I'm doing next year are:
Collected Stories Of Katherine Mansfield
Bel Canto
King Lear
Sense and Sensibility
... and poetry that I don't know yet.

I think many people will be doing King Lear, which I'm a bit worried about seeing as I'm planning on doing it for the exam, which makes it harder to do well in. The only thing I'm feeling comforted by is the fact that 6 or 7 of the Lit students of 2007 at my school got 48 and above. Very reassuring... but putting lots of pressure on the 08ers.

I think I will aim for between 35 and 40.
2007 - History Revolutions (35)
2008 - English (40), Literature (37), National Politics (37), Maths Methods (32), History Renaissance (39)
ENTER: 93.20

2009 - Bachelor of Arts (ANU)
2010 - Bachelor of Classical Studies (ANU)
Majors: Ancient Greek, Ancient History, Archaeology

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 02:33:39 pm »
I think many people will be doing King Lear, which I'm a bit worried about seeing as I'm planning on doing it for the exam, which makes it harder to do well in.

Hm i don't think the amount of people doing a text will really have any difference tbh

pariah

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 02:41:28 pm »
I think many people will be doing King Lear, which I'm a bit worried about seeing as I'm planning on doing it for the exam, which makes it harder to do well in.

Hm i don't think the amount of people doing a text will really have any difference tbh
Absolutely; in fact, if you do a popular text well, then your mark could potentially be a litte higher (coz the examiners would be bored with the multitudes of average responses and thus would look favourably upon a higher quality response).
Anyway, our school's doing:
-Collected Stories (Peter Carey) (A)
-King Lear (B)
-Sense and Sensibility (B)
-Selected Poems (T.S. Eliot) (A)
-Cloudstreet (A)
-Importance of Being Earnest (A)
i'm in yr 11 atm, and I'm a bit concerned that firstly, my school only does 2 list b's, and secondly, both the list b's that we do will be rotated off the list in 2009 (when i do lit 3/4), coz they are both in their 4th year...hopefully the text-setting panel put another decent shakespeare and austen text on ('much ado about nothing' is on atm as well, but its not a text my teachers like...)

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 03:26:24 pm »
wow only two list b's that is odd. Do they do that when you do 3/4 as well? cos i guess when you are in year 11 it doesn't matter so much.
Alot of people doing Lear, i lovve lear! i think it's hilarious! You have to watch that film version... I don't know which one it is but it is the one where the actor playing Lear was critisised for making the mad scenes funny (comes out with the daisies around his head and all that) but i love it cos i think you need the humour in there haha

pariah

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 03:35:52 pm »
yeh, the list I posted up is what u do in the 3/4 at my school (for the 1/2, i'm doing the great gatsby, othello, heart of darkness, white noise, rosencrantz and guilderstern are dead, kissing in manhattan and pride and prejudice).
i'm not really compaining, coz our two lit teachers are awesome (both are assessors, one is on the text panel, and the results are good - 2 50s this year, and 80% of students 40+).
ur lucky; u get to watch Lear (i assume that is for the adaptation...). the adaptation text we do is cloudstreet, which is a pretty lacklustre play...

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 03:53:44 pm »
But at least Cloudstreet is a pretty awesome book IMO (though lots of people I talk to seem to either hate it or love it).

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 09:28:27 am »
Nah we did Gatsby for the adaption sac, we just watched Lear because it helps you understand and remember the text better. If you can get hold of a copy, it's a good idea. For the lear sac we did the critique of the critique
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 07:07:25 pm by goosefraba »

johd89

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 05:42:28 pm »
We're doing:
Importance Of Being Earnest & Other Plays
Under Milkwood (Everyman)
Hamilton Case
Sugar & Other Stories
Collected Poems - Phillip Larkin

I'm fairly nervous about Literature next year lol.

jamesdrv

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 06:08:46 pm »
Do you know what poems you're doing of Phillip Larkin's, johd89? I did him this year, so if the set poems remain the same each year I could pass some notes to you (if you want them).

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 10:17:40 pm »
We're doing:
Importance Of Being Earnest & Other Plays
Under Milkwood (Everyman)
Hamilton Case
Sugar & Other Stories
Collected Poems - Phillip Larkin

I'm fairly nervous about Literature next year lol.

I did Sugar for my exam! On first reading I was like, "WTF?" - I understood it, yet I didn't quite know what to make of it - but I actually quite like it now. Very dense, a challenging book but a rewarding one :) (both intellectually as well as in terms of study score). Only myself and one other person in my class ended up actually writing on it in the exam.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 10:21:07 pm by Eriny »