Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:22:22 am

Author Topic: Crucible Related Text  (Read 5470 times)  Share 

Manar.alogaidi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Crucible Related Text
« on: November 21, 2018, 08:38:05 pm »
Hey, anyone know any good related text addressing human experiences common to the crucible by Arthur Miller?
Short stories would be preferred but any suggestions welcome  :)

Thank you!!

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
Re: Crucible Related Text
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 09:06:08 pm »
+1
Hey, anyone know any good related text addressing human experiences common to the crucible by Arthur Miller?
Short stories would be preferred but any suggestions welcome  :)

Thank you!!

Hello!

I have a few suggestions. They're not all short stories but I hope they're still useful. :)

- Shooting an Elephant: a narrative essay (kind of like a short story) by George Orwell.
- Joe Cinque's Consolation Prize: a non-fiction book by Helen Garner.
- Jasper Jones: novel by Craig Silvey or film version.
- To Kill a Mockingbird: novel by Harper Lee or film version.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions about these texts – I would be more than happy to help. :)
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Crucible Related Text
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 09:21:44 pm »
+2
Hey, Manar.alogaidi!

I studied 'The Crucible' for my HSC this year and it was one of my favourite texts to have ever studied  ;D I think it just depends on what aspect you want to focus most on for human experiences. I have some recommendations below  8)

Short stories
Lamb to the Slaughter (Roald Dahl)- deception, truth vs lies, women in society.
The Tell Tale Heart (Edgar Allan Poe)- deception, reliability, truth vs lies, social outcasts, identity.

Novels
The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)- oppression, human rights, social outcasts, women in society, sexuality, identity.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Victor Hugo)- oppression, social outcasts, identity.

I hope they help  ;D darcyynic has some awesome suggestions provided too  :) If you have a specific area you want to focus on, feel free to let us know and we can search for one for you to use ;D

Angelina  :)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music