Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:58 pm

Author Topic: How to Write an Area of Study Essay  (Read 90040 times)

Aliceyyy98

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Willoughby Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: How to Write an Area of Study Essay
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 05:51:36 pm »
Hi!
I am doing Robert Frost poems for the area of study, I was just wondering if it's recommended to analyse three poems in hsc? if so, can I discuss three poems but only analyse my related text twice? finding it a bit hard to fit into the word limit :)

Cheers

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 11:46:34 pm »
Hi!
I am doing Robert Frost poems for the area of study, I was just wondering if it's recommended to analyse three poems in hsc? if so, can I discuss three poems but only analyse my related text twice? finding it a bit hard to fit into the word limit :)

Cheers

Hey there Aliceyyy! I did Skrzynecki for my AoS which was also poetry  ;D I would suggest a minimum of two poems, and yep, ideally three to really give the depth you need  ;D remember though that you can actually discuss all of the poems together as a single 'text,' I did this in my HSC, and it meant I could pick the best quotes from every poem as I saw fit!! It worked well for me personally ;D

That idea notwithstanding, if you did do three poems, then yes you can then analyse your related text twice! This creates a 60/40 split, which is what I normally recommend as the furthest "swing" towards your prescribed text  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 10:46:21 pm »
Hi!

Cheers

If you do want to talk about the texts as a whole, like Jamon suggested, you can use the beautiful word: oeuvre.
I definitely think talking about specific texts in detail is important. If you wanted to talk about two or three in detail, for example, there's nothing wrong with mentioning a fourth poem just for the purpose of emphasising a point expressed in another poem. You don't have to deeply analyse every text you talk about. Rather, deeply analyse two or three, and then only if it suited your argument, you can bring in another briefly. My suggestion is to talk about the oeuvre on top of the two or three deeply analysed poems!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Aliceyyy98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 12:11:10 am »
If you do want to talk about the texts as a whole, like Jamon suggested, you can use the beautiful word: oeuvre.
I definitely think talking about specific texts in detail is important. If you wanted to talk about two or three in detail, for example, there's nothing wrong with mentioning a fourth poem just for the purpose of emphasising a point expressed in another poem. You don't have to deeply analyse every text you talk about. Rather, deeply analyse two or three, and then only if it suited your argument, you can bring in another briefly. My suggestion is to talk about the oeuvre on top of the two or three deeply analysed poems!

Could you give me an example on how to use the word in a sentence please! :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 12:26:47 am »

I studied a collection of poems by Peter Skrzynecki for my AoS, in which case the sentence would go:

The impact of cultural alienation on an individuals sense of self worth is clearly conveyed through effective poetic technique Skrzynecki's oeuvre.

More commonly, the word is used to describe the entire collection of works by the composer, kind of like say, the discography of Coldplay encompasses all of their studio albums  ;D if you are uncomfortable with the word, I used the word anthology for Skrzynecki's collection of poetry, because they were all from a single collection  ;D if your poems are all from the same collection, then anthology would also work  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 07:18:02 pm »

"The theme of youth is prevalent in all aspects of Yeats' oeuvre."
"The oeuvre is characterised by a tone of reflection."
"The oeuvre of Yeats has been admired by students historically and in contemporary times."

:)

Aliceyyy98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 12:55:09 am »
"The theme of youth is prevalent in all aspects of Yeats' oeuvre."
"The oeuvre is characterised by a tone of reflection."
"The oeuvre of Yeats has been admired by students historically and in contemporary times."

:)

Thank you so much!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 01:03:43 pm »
Thank you so much!

That's ok! It's a nifty little word to have up your sleeve.

kmorritt

• Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 01:30:51 pm »
Thankyou so much, this is really helpful and easy to understand :)

Whats the percentage distribution that you would advise in a AOS essay between prescribed text and related text?

Moderator Action: Merged Posts  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:57:47 pm by jamonwindeyer »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 11:43:14 pm »
Thankyou so much, this is really helpful and easy to understand :)

Whats the percentage distribution that you would advise in a AOS essay between prescribed text and related text?

Moderator Action: Merged Posts  :)

Some people suggest 70-30, (which I tend to think is a bit low), others 60-40. I think 60-40 is closest to being perfect in terms of balance. Admittedly, I got pretty close to 50/50 for balance between the two at times. I tend to think that as long as your related text doesn't overtake your analysis of your prescribed text, then you're all good!

60/40 should be your aim, I think! :)

Justina Shehata

• Trailblazer
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 11:54:08 pm »
Hey! I wanted to ask: I am doing Frost's poems for AOS.
I will be using two of the poems in particular for my essay; however, I wanted to ask, can they give you a specified one to talk about in the trials. I am doing catholic trials by the way.
Also, how many related texts would I need; one or two?
Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 11:56:14 pm »
Hey! I wanted to ask: I am doing Frost's poems for AOS.
I will be using two of the poems in particular for my essay; however, I wanted to ask, can they give you a specified one to talk about in the trials. I am doing catholic trials by the way.
Also, how many related texts would I need; one or two?
Thanks!

Hey Justina! For AoS, they won't specify (because everyone gets the same question for every text), and they won't ask for more than one ORT, so just one for AoS is great!  ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 12:16:00 am »
they won't ask for more than one ORT, so just one for AoS is great!  ;D

What!!??!! Our teacher made us pick and study three related texts from both discovery and Module C! Ughhh what a waste of time! So if they ask for "at least one" you aren't expected to do two (that is what my teacher told me)?

Thanks!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 12:49:40 am »
+1
What!!??!! Our teacher made us pick and study three related texts from both discovery and Module C! Ughhh what a waste of time! So if they ask for "at least one" you aren't expected to do two (that is what my teacher told me)?

Thanks!

Definitely not!! I mean you can, and it may be advantageous, but what it means (and this is me relaying my teachers comments, and I agree with them wholeheartedly) is that they want a really good amount of ORT. Do one ORT, and do it very well  ;D

If they wanted 2, they'd ask for 2! That can happen in Module C, but never in AoS  ;D

Edit: Despite popular belief, BOSTES won't ever expect anything from you unless they ask you to do it  ;)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 12:52:30 am »
Definitely not!! I mean you can, and it may be advantageous, but what it means (and this is me relaying my teachers comments, and I agree with them wholeheartedly) is that they want a really good amount of ORT. Do one ORT, and do it very well  ;D

If they wanted 2, they'd ask for 2! That can happen in Module C, but never in AoS  ;D

Edit: Despite popular belief, BOSTES won't ever expect anything from you unless they ask you to do it  ;)

Ughhhh I'm so annoyed right now hahaha, thank you for clearing that up for me though! At least I know now and I can just focus my attention to one of my related texts :) Thank you!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!