Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:09:04 am

Author Topic: How to Write an Area of Study Essay  (Read 90056 times)

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
Re: How to Write an Area of Study Essay
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2018, 11:37:17 pm »
+2

For the discovery essay I am doing motorcycle diaries and my related text felks skrzynecki (poem) by Peter Skrzyneck. should i use that for my related text or choose another. please tell me ASAP  becuase im currently preparing my essay for paper 1 trail exam. Also how do i write a thesis for example this question: The process of discovery involves uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering what is known. How is this perspective on discovery explored in your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing?
can i start off by saying: Discovery is defined as... or The process of discovery is...

Thanks everyone.

Hey there,
Upon a first reading of the poem, it definitely explores a complex process of rediscovery so it should be a suitable related text. However, it also happened to be on the 2009-2012 English syllabus as an AOS Belonging text. You can still use it, but I personally wouldn't as my school tends to frown upon reusing old prescribed texts as related material because it looks like a copout from a student who couldn't be bothered finding a unique related text and independently analysing it. I'm not too sure how your school or the HSC Marking Centre would receive it though...

In relation to thesis(theses? thesis's?), I like to approach them as conceptual statements which answer the question in light of one's study of discovery as a concept through their texts. Specifically in relation to your practice question; The process of discovery involves uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering what is known. How is this perspective on discovery explored in your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing? , I would probably do something similar to these:
  • Catalysed by uncovering hidden truths, the process of discovery provokes unique emotional responses, which can lead to a reconsideration of what is known.
  • Discovery is a provocative and intensely meaningful process through which an individual's emotional response to an uncovering of hidden truths can facilitate a reconsideration of what is known about themselves and their world.

Note how these don't mention the texts at all, implicitly or explicitly. This is because your topic sentences should also be conceptual sub-arguments that construct your overall argument, which is your thesis.

(take this with a grain of salt as im also in y12, but my school did our trials early so my pain is over. good luck and you can do it!!!)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:46:45 pm by NowYouTseMe »
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

caitlin.micallef

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2018, 09:44:23 am »
Hi, I did 4 bodies for my essay in the trials but it didn't work so my tutor suggested:

1) prescribed
2) related
3) prescribed

It's not a 50/50 ratio so i'm not sure if that's the way to go but he's marked HSC responses and reminded me its not so much an essay as it is an extended response since it's only 15 marks. On the other hand, some people said they got marked down (internally) for doing his structure but I probably feel more comfortable doing that than integrated paragraphs.

Is that structure okay or should I consider something else.

Thanks  :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #182 on: October 17, 2018, 09:33:04 pm »
Hi, I did 4 bodies for my essay in the trials but it didn't work so my tutor suggested:

1) prescribed
2) related
3) prescribed

It's not a 50/50 ratio so i'm not sure if that's the way to go but he's marked HSC responses and reminded me its not so much an essay as it is an extended response since it's only 15 marks. On the other hand, some people said they got marked down (internally) for doing his structure but I probably feel more comfortable doing that than integrated paragraphs.

Is that structure okay or should I consider something else.

Thanks  :D

Hey!! At this late stage, do whatever you feel more comfortable with. You've got this! Good luck ;D