Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:23:34 am

Author Topic: Choosing the right related text!  (Read 70445 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Choosing the right ORT!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 11:38:03 pm »
Hey all, my trials are just around the corner and I need to find related texts that work well for both AOS: Discovery- The Tempest and Mod C: Representing People & Landscapes- Judith Wright.

Any ideas on which related texts would work well ?

I'm thinking of doing a picture book: The Island by Armin Greder for my main related text but I can't seem to find aspects of the rubric that relate explicitly to each module.

Thanks in advance !!  :)

The Island definitely works for discovery, for a moment there it was almost my related text. I think it is limited though, for Module C specifically. For discovery, it works on a number of levels. With trials around the corner, you want to be comfortable that your selection is rich on surface value, seeing as you don't necessarily have weeks and weeks of time to analyse the text. As Jamon suggested, definitely look at the other threads (Jamon linked to them) and see how other people have dealt with their own related texts :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Scarlet

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 08:16:19 pm »
That picture book is definitely a potentially great ORT, there are a heap of resources for it online, which indicates that it's been used before with success  ;D

I didn't do Discovery, but I know Elyse would suggest Distant Lands - Tim Winton. It is a very powerful ORT, might be worth a look?

For Module C, I used V for Vendetta against Shakespeare's Tragedy of Julius Caesar. The key to that was that both were fairly political, but that might not match here. Hopefully someone can be of more help!

You should flick through our Module Marking and AoS Marking Threads to see what other people have used! It might give you some inspiration  ;D

Thank you ! I'll do that right now  :)

Scarlet

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 08:18:08 pm »
The Island definitely works for discovery, for a moment there it was almost my related text. I think it is limited though, for Module C specifically. For discovery, it works on a number of levels. With trials around the corner, you want to be comfortable that your selection is rich on surface value, seeing as you don't necessarily have weeks and weeks of time to analyse the text. As Jamon suggested, definitely look at the other threads (Jamon linked to them) and see how other people have dealt with their own related texts :)

Thank you,  also do you by any chance have notes that you previously wrote for The Island that I could use as a guide for my own ?

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • School: Cerdon College
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 10:05:50 pm »
What would be a good ORT for The Tempest for AOS other than Heart of Darkness by Conrad? And what would be a good related text for Wag The Dog for Mod C?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 10:37:17 pm »
Thank you,  also do you by any chance have notes that you previously wrote for The Island that I could use as a guide for my own ?

I'd love to say yes! But the study we did on it was as a class and there was a powerpoint our teacher showed us, which I no longer have access to because it was on the school drive :( :( :(

From memory, there are a few bits and pieces of analysis floating around on the internet!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 10:40:21 pm »
What would be a good ORT for The Tempest for AOS other than Heart of Darkness by Conrad? And what would be a good related text for Wag The Dog for Mod C?

Hey there!

Have a look here for Mod C, to see what related texts people have used. I used Distant Lands for People and Landscapes, its a short story written by Tim Winton.

As for the AOS - a bunch of people study The Tempest, so you might get a few ideas from looking at the essay making thread over here! If it's any help...my ORT for AOS was also Tim Winton's short story, Distant Lands.

:)

kmorritt

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 01:32:50 pm »
Hi, im just confused when the teachers say it needs to be a good related text, what do they mean? Is it ok if we choose a movie that was made recently?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 05:18:29 pm »

Hey! I am doing both the Tempest and Wag the Dog as well! If you are still looking for related texts I would strongly recommend The Perks of Being a Wallflower for discovery, and Candide by Voltaire for Module C (Though it could probably work really well for discovery also). They all worked really well for me, my discovery essay getting 18/20, and my Wag the Dog 20/20.

Here are some of the ways you can link Perks of Being a Wallflower to the Tempest (though these are only a few)
    Theme of forgiveness
    Theme of the discovery of a new world
    Them of the discovery of secrets

Key techniques: Style (REALLY IMPORTANT), Allusions to other texts that centre around discovery, and Irony.

Here are some ways to link Candide to Wag the Dog:
      USE OF SATIRE
      Theme of the Manipulation, utilisation and commodification of symbols and ideas
      Theme of the manipulation of a naive population by a minority group

Key techniques use: Satire (obviously), Irony and Metaphor (Candide the character is a metaphor for society during the Enlightenment).

Hope this helped!
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:43:13 pm by sudodds »
    FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

skysailingaway

• Adventurer
    « Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 08:00:38 pm »
    Heyy!
    I'm doing 'spirited away' as my related text for 'The Tempest' in my AOS.
    Is this a good match?
    Do you think it will work, would i need to retell a bit of the plot in the paragraphs?
    -how would i approach this?

Plus, i'm thinking of doing 'Guernica' by pablo picasso, for Mod C
    « Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:00:23 pm by skysailingaway »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
    • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
    • The lurker from the north.
    • Respect: +3108
    « Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 08:38:02 pm »
    +1
    Hi, im just confused when the teachers say it needs to be a good related text, what do they mean? Is it ok if we choose a movie that was made recently?

Sudodds ideas for a related are awesome, massively support them  ;D

A 'good related text,' in my opinion, has the following characteristics:

- An abundance of literary/filmic techniques
    - A clear conceptual focus, or more than one
    - The text has been composed for a more meaningful reason than "to entertain," that is, it's not a mega mainstream movie that was made to make money. It should have had some greater message. Some mainstream movies do this decently well, but often the super mainstream stuff (Transformers, Fast and Furious, etc) just aren't conceptually rich enough. For that reason, they should be just a little bit "indie", if that's the right word (honestly no idea lol)  ;)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
    • Honorary Moderator
    • ATAR Notes Legend
    « Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 01:42:47 pm »
    We have set up a brand new ATAR Notes book club! Feel free to join by clicking on the link here and we can chat about your recently read books :)

conic curve

• Forum Leader
    • Respect: +2
    « Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 10:02:34 pm »
    So I'm in a rush to decide on my related text because my preliminary yearlies are coming up in a few weeks

My prescribed text(s) are poems for the AOS physical journeys (not shrzynecki poems but other miscellaneous poems)

I'm having trouble deciding the following between Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Peter Shrzynecki: immigrant chronicle (I don't know whether or not this is going to make a good related text since I'm currently doing poems as a prescribed text), Lionheart or Rabbit proof fence. Could someone here please help me choose between the following

Thanks for the help guys :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
    « Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 12:30:36 am »
    So I'm in a rush to decide on my related text because my preliminary yearlies are coming up in a few weeks

My prescribed text(s) are poems for the AOS physical journeys (not shrzynecki poems but other miscellaneous poems)

I'm having trouble deciding the following between Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Peter Shrzynecki: immigrant chronicle (I don't know whether or not this is going to make a good related text since I'm currently doing poems as a prescribed text), Lionheart or Rabbit proof fence. Could someone here please help me choose between the following

Thanks for the help guys :D

I've not read the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, but I'm sure it would be a good choice. Immigrant Chronicle is a fantastic choice, very conceptual, and already studying poetry then it will be easy to link. There are heaps of resources available too ;D

The two moves are good too, though I've not studied them in depth I've seen them and both work well for Discovery conceptually. I'd personally be going for Immigrant Chronicle ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
    • Respect: +2
    « Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 10:55:22 am »
    I've not read the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, but I'm sure it would be a good choice. Immigrant Chronicle is a fantastic choice, very conceptual, and already studying poetry then it will be easy to link. There are heaps of resources available too ;D

The two moves are good too, though I've not studied them in depth I've seen them and both work well for Discovery conceptually. I'd personally be going for Immigrant Chronicle ;D

Hm, I was thinking of Rabbit Proof fence (I've seen it before but forgot what happened in the movie) but analysing films would be a pain because there's so many things you'll need to talk about

If I did poems then I'd have trouble composing an essay on the sport so I'd rather do related text which is easier to integrate in an essay

If I did lionheart or Adventures of Huckleberry Finn then I'd have to spend too much time reading the texts and analysing them and time is very limited for me  :(

So yeah, my choices are limited (unfortunately)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
    « Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 01:34:27 pm »
    Hm, I was thinking of Rabbit Proof fence (I've seen it before but forgot what happened in the movie) but analysing films would be a pain because there's so many things you'll need to talk about

If I did poems then I'd have trouble composing an essay on the sport so I'd rather do related text which is easier to integrate in an essay

If I did lionheart or Adventures of Huckleberry Finn then I'd have to spend too much time reading the texts and analysing them and time is very limited for me  :(

So yeah, my choices are limited (unfortunately)

If time is limited, do either a film you have seen before (Rabbit Proof Fence) or poetry (Skrzynecki). Particularly for Skzrynecki, his poems are quite punchy, it would not take you long to read them and pull some quotes out, it could easily be done in an afternoon, especially given how many resources are available for the poetry, given that it used to be on the Prescribed Text list ;D