Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:15:40 am

Author Topic: Trying out for macrob in 2020 to hopefully get in , in 2021. Anyone else? Tips?  (Read 31148 times)  Share 

gasha1920

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Ahhh, I know I'm a bit early ( or not lol). Anyways I'm doing the exam next year in June, if anyone else is or if anyone has tips or suggestions please feel free to help out!!  :D :)

not.yet.a.nerd

• Trendsetter
  • hello!
  • Respect: +80
I'd suggest having a good trawl through some of the selective school admissions forums, lots of advice and tips from past/current students =)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
have you had a look at this and this thread? Might be helpful!

Other links online with advice include this and this.

brothanathan

Don't overwhelm yourself. Plan out what you're going to do from August or September to prepare for the Macrob Test. For every sort of test (writing, numerical&verbal reasoning, maths, science and etc.) you have to complete, allocate time to enhance your problem solving and critical thinking skills. Do 1-3 extended response maths questions a day. Read news from major outlets, read books from authors who have passed away years ago. If you don't get in, don't doubt your abilities. Take it as an experience to enrich you. To diverge you into becoming more than just a Macrob student.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 10:16:12 am by brothanathan »

gasha1920

• Adventurer
Don't overwhelm yourself. Plan out what you're going to do from August or September to prepare for the Macrob Test. For every sort of test (writing, numerical&verbal reasoning, maths, science and etc.) you have to complete, allocate time to enhance your problem solving and critical thinking skills. Do 1-3 extended response maths questions a day. Read news from major outlets, read books from authors who have passed away years ago. If you don't get in, don't doubt your abilities. Take it as an experience to enrich you. To diverge you into becoming more than just a Macrob student.
I'd suggest having a good trawl through some of the selective school admissions forums, lots of advice and tips from past/current students =)
have you had a look at this and this thread? Might be helpful!

Other links online with advice include this and this.

Thank you sooo much, this will really help !!  ;D

for_icarus

• Forum Regular
  • stay with me... 真夜中のドアをたたき :)
  • Respect: +2
Hey, I did the exam this year, I still don’t know if I got into Mac.Rob yet but I suggest really building up your vocabulary and spelling as it helps in verbal, reading and writing. Some ways to that would be to read lots of books that challenge you and you find interesting, look at year 10-12 spelling lists on the internet and just try to learn new words everyday.
my goals
⎡Y10⎦ ✧  Methods 1/2 ⚬ Physics U2 
⎡Y11⎦ ✧ MM 3/4 ⚬ Phys 3/4 ⚬ Chem 1/2 ⚬ SM 1/2 ⚬ Eco 1/2 ⚬ Lit 1/2
⎡Y12⎦ ✧  Goal {98.00-99.95}
⎡UNI⎦ ✧  Ivy League

gasha1920

• Adventurer
Hey, I did the exam this year, I still don’t know if I got into Mac.Rob yet but I suggest really building up your vocabulary and spelling as it helps in verbal, reading and writing. Some ways to that would be to read lots of books that challenge you and you find interesting, look at year 10-12 spelling lists on the internet and just try to learn new words everyday.

Wow, thanks a lot, that will really help! I hope u get in btw ;D :)

lastapasta

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
hey!

the essay writing when i did it was just 15 minutes for one, but i think (correct me if i am wrong) it has changed to 30 minutes and only one essay. if you wanted to get a headstart on preparing it might be a good idea to practise writing an essay a few times a week, and getting someone to give you feedback, just to get into the habit of writing under time pressure.

look through the year 9 maths textbook, and familiarise yourself with the content.

i would also suggest doing maybe one hendersons mock exam, which i found was very helpful in consolidating weaknesses and strengths, although if you opt for this do it closer to the actual exam next year.

i would say more than just studying, immerse yourself in many extracurriculars and leadership opportunities, as selective schools often looks for well rounded students if it comes to the interview process.

good luck! it's great that you have started prep so early, but keep in mind that the selective schools are just that, schools. at the end of the day they have their own pros and cons and it really really is not a gateway to a perfect atar of your dreams. regardless of what school you go to, anything you want to achieve is possible.

feel free to ask any more questions!  ;)

gasha1920

• Adventurer
hey!

the essay writing when i did it was just 15 minutes for one, but i think (correct me if i am wrong) it has changed to 30 minutes and only one essay. if you wanted to get a headstart on preparing it might be a good idea to practise writing an essay a few times a week, and getting someone to give you feedback, just to get into the habit of writing under time pressure.

look through the year 9 maths textbook, and familiarise yourself with the content.

i would also suggest doing maybe one hendersons mock exam, which i found was very helpful in consolidating weaknesses and strengths, although if you opt for this do it closer to the actual exam next year.

i would say more than just studying, immerse yourself in many extracurriculars and leadership opportunities, as selective schools often looks for well rounded students if it comes to the interview process.

good luck! it's great that you have started prep so early, but keep in mind that the selective schools are just that, schools. at the end of the day they have their own pros and cons and it really really is not a gateway to a perfect atar of your dreams. regardless of what school you go to, anything you want to achieve is possible.

feel free to ask any more questions!  ;)

Thanks so much for this info! i was just wondering if you know how to structure essays ( persuasive and creative ) also just a question out of curiosity, did you try out for the exam ?

lastapasta

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Thanks so much for this info! i was just wondering if you know how to structure essays ( persuasive and creative ) also just a question out of curiosity, did you try out for the exam ?

hi, yes i did try out and was successful in getting a place at macrob!

for persuasive: basically i think i just did intro, 3 body paragraphs and a conclusion, just your ordinary structure. but one of the body paragraphs i wrote was a rebuttal of the other side, which is completely up to you if you want to include.

for creative: basically any structure works, but you need to have a concrete plot, instead of just writing poetry or something, as all the prompts are clear and specific. with creative, i found it helped to have a few storylines i was comfortable writing that i could adapt for any prompt.

hope that helps! feel free to pm me for more details about the exam or anything  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 12:50:04 pm by lastapasta »

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
hey i have a thread about this since i go to macrob already but i can tell you what i did for preparation:

- read a variety of novels and newspapers
- did a lot of james an practice papers (im pretty sure you can buy some off of here?)
- did year 9 and year 10 maths
- timed myself with tests id make for myself

pm me if you have anymore questions <33
taking a break.

gasha1920

• Adventurer
Does anyone know if it is analytical or persuasive and if so what is the difference?
Because I was trying to book for Henderson practise tests and tuition!

rakshanaraj06

• Forum Regular
Does anyone know if it is analytical or persuasive and if so what is the difference?
Because I was trying to book for Henderson practise tests and tuition!
No, you won't know if it is going to be analytical or creative prior to the exam. You will find out when you are about to start the writing part of the exam.
However, this year it was creative :)

Meg210706

• Forum Regular
Hi! I'm doing the test as well. Do u know if its gonna be online because of covid-19?

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Hi, I did the test in 2017 and went to a super competitive school where I got 4 superiors (the minimum to get into MacRob at my school). I think the biggest factor that helped me get in was going to James An College. We were given the four tests per fortnight and did writing every week, and we would go through the solutions right after the test. I highly recommend going as most of my friends who got in also went to James An College. That being said, you don't need to go, and some of my friends got the same mark as me without going, and some who went didn't get in.
All the best!!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips