Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 05:53:05 am

Author Topic: 'False confidence' Right or Wrong??  (Read 1101 times)  Share 

qshyrn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
'False confidence' Right or Wrong??
« on: August 14, 2009, 04:26:09 pm »
school test situation: the person is unsure of the answer to a question. He proceeds to write the correct answer(unknowingly) and then writes a '?' to symbolize to the teacher that he is not 100% sure on the question. He gets the corrected test back the next day and for that question the teacher gave it a tick, but then circled the question mark and wrote: 'FALSE CONFIDENCE', followed by -1 (meaning a mark taken off). so essentially the person got no marks for the question.
Is this the correct thing for a teacher to do? it happened to some guy i know from another school

lukeperry91

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: 'False confidence' Right or Wrong??
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 04:36:13 pm »
Depends for what subject... grammar/punctuation shouldn't be an issue in the sciences/maths
Year 12 2009
Biology
Chemistry
Methods CAS
Physics
English

Ambitions
Biomed at melbourne
Travel
Have a nice family
[img]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/530203/merspi_small.png[/img]

kurrymuncher

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 04:50:28 pm »
what!! thats ridiculous. I do that sometimes too, but dont get marks taken off.

physics

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Its anna :D
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:19:48 pm »
Thats jibby but my teacher does that becuase he says we're not answering the question...we're jsut merely questioning if the answer is correct or not.
HELP ME GRADUATE!
If you know anyone pregnant let me know :)

My youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/Fairytailslilangel

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:26:10 pm »
Maybe teacher is just teaching him/her a lesson so that he/she never does it in a VCAA exam, if this was only a test then if I were him/her I'd just take note of it and leave it. If it was a SAC, you should complain.

I remember when I did a spesh test and forgot to put my MC answers in the answer box, and as a result I got 0/22 for it lol. But it was only a test and I learned from that mistake, knowing to never do it again =.=.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 07:45:24 pm »
Well nothing counts for subjects in year 11 and below because the crap you take from teachers during those years are just ways to see if your "experiments" (schemata lol) fail or not - and you would correct those mistakes during the final year and onwards (assimilation, accommodation). Obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to put a hugeass question mark on every page of, let's say, a methods 3/4 exam since it would show that you haven't grasped the concepts properly and examiners would be scrutinising your paper more closely for mistakes due to this "sign".

Yeah I think the teacher is just being critical so that your friend notices the "thing-he-should-not-do" (in the teacher's opinion) and doesn't repeat the same action. It might also be a technique the teacher is using to get your friend to go up to him/her and ask about the deduction. (teachers always emphasise the importance of getting help when you are unsure).

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 11:07:07 pm »
Maybe teacher is just teaching him/her a lesson so that he/she never does it in a VCAA exam, if this was only a test then if I were him/her I'd just take note of it and leave it. If it was a SAC, you should complain.

I remember when I did a spesh test and forgot to put my MC answers in the answer box, and as a result I got 0/22 for it lol. But it was only a test and I learned from that mistake, knowing to never do it again =.=.

What...? -.-"
That's just mean... XD

@ uni... 1 of the lecturers mentioned yesterday that a couple students from AFC1000 last semeser wrote a few of their answers in the Q book instead of the script book. I *think* they were given a fail grade. But then when it was discovered wot had happened (it originally slipped through the two-person checking process), they were given marks for it.

So, they didn't even write their answers in the script book and they still got marks!

(I don't particularly recommend this tho, kiddies)
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

JuzzLee

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 11:38:29 pm »
school test situation: the person is unsure of the answer to a question. He proceeds to write the correct answer(unknowingly) and then writes a '?' to symbolize to the teacher that he is not 100% sure on the question. He gets the corrected test back the next day and for that question the teacher gave it a tick, but then circled the question mark and wrote: 'FALSE CONFIDENCE', followed by -1 (meaning a mark taken off). so essentially the person got no marks for the question.
Is this the correct thing for a teacher to do? it happened to some guy i know from another school
happened to me once in a sac, my teacher said that enigmatic answers make markers feel suspicious. i actually used a calculator for this question which wasn't what he had expected(though the question didn't specify which method to use), so i always indicate "used a calculator" or something similar since then.
IT @ RMIT