Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:40:02 am

Author Topic: Broken Headphones  (Read 3357 times)  Share 

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
Broken Headphones
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:43:19 pm »
Is it just me or do headphones break really easily for no reason? For some reason, one side of the headphones spontaneously just stops working. It was working fine for about half a year, until yesterday I unplugged it then re-plugged it, and now only the right headphone is playing music. This is exactly what happened to my previous 2 headphones. I've taken great care not to step on the wires or get them tangled and yet it's still breaking? I can't remember the exact price either but these were logitech headphones and they weren't exactly 'shitty' to begin with
Does this happen to anyone else, and could someone recommend a good durable set of headphones to buy? :D

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
Re: Broken Headphones
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 01:46:32 pm »
That's what happened to my earphones. I think they rig it so that you need to buy more. Invest in some earphones > $100 and they shouldn't die so quickly.
[IMG]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2506/avatarcg3.png[/img]
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"It's not a community effort"
"It's not allowed. Only death is a valid excuse"
"Probably for the first time time this year I was totally flabbergasted by some of the 'absolute junk' I had to correct .... I was going to use 'crap' but that was too kind a word"
"How can you expect to do well when
-you draw a lemon as having two half-cells connected with a salt bridge
-your lemons come with Cu2+ ions built in" - Dwyer
"Why'd you score so bad?!" - Zotos
"Your arguments are seri

xXNovaxX

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:47:55 pm »
Is it just me or do headphones break really easily for no reason? For some reason, one side of the headphones spontaneously just stops working. It was working fine for about half a year, until yesterday I unplugged it then re-plugged it, and now only the right headphone is playing music. This is exactly what happened to my previous 2 headphones. I've taken great care not to step on the wires or get them tangled and yet it's still breaking? I can't remember the exact price either but these were logitech headphones and they weren't exactly 'shitty' to begin with
Does this happen to anyone else, and could someone recommend a good durable set of headphones to buy? :D
it happens to my brother ALL the time, he has an MP3 player. I have an iPod, and have had it for 2-3 years and headphones work fine.

He is a lot more careless I think, so when they broke we just went to those $2 shops and brought some...lasted only a few weeks before u had noise coming through from 1, and none from the other side. So we went to a different $2 shop and brought some and up till now they work

Try the really CHEAP ones first like we did, and if they dont work after 2 "buys", buy some of the more well known brands (dunno any names sorry)

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:50:57 pm »
LOL yeah I could probably just stock up on 50 $2 dollar headphones instead of 1 $100 headphone and it might last slightly longer ;p
Hmm well my first 2 headphones (~$10) were pretty shitty and they lasted about as long as my current one (~$50) actually... but the sound wasn't that great lol
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:52:30 pm by /0 »

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 01:51:16 pm »
Yeh I've gone through plenty of pairs =\ Now I've just resorted to bulk buying white iPod imitations instead. It was like $5 for 5 pairs or something lol. But if you care about sound quality, then as others said, invest in an expensive pair and they should last you a good while.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

ReVeL

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 01:53:56 pm »
Yeah this absolutely shits me up the wall, happens all the time. And theres something about buying $100+ pairs of headphones that doesn't sit right with me..
||  2008 VCE Graduate  ||  BCom @ UoM [Accounting & Finance Majors] - Completing 3rd year  ||

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 01:59:15 pm »
I guess i'll just stick with the ~$10 ones I used to get :P
I wonder if you can make your own headphones, there must be some kind of guide out there

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 02:07:35 pm »
http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--111_Headphones_Sennheiser__fs_872_e__?Sort=PS
The cheapest are the earphones so skip past that but their headphones start at a reasonable price.

Take a look at those (I mean the Seinheisser brand). I've had a pair for years and they haven't reduced in quality despite me forgetting to take them off when I stand up from the PC and them being yanked off as a result and crashing to the ground.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:23:44 pm by dekoyl »

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 02:14:53 pm »
www.headphones.com.au

Some good stuff on that site. Some cheap, some pretty dear.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 02:54:05 pm »
thanks for the links, i'll check them out

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 07:48:18 pm »
yeah headphonic! someone recommended them to me... who was it...

but bought these ones
Beyerdynamic:
DT234Pro

and im happy and they have good customer service too
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:01:13 pm »
Just look for the Sennheiser logo if you want a solid pair of headphones. I'm currently using the Sennheiser EH150 which I got from a friend so they've lasted yonks. I'm not sure how expensive they are now but I'm guessing in the $50 range? The sound quality is pretty decent for that price range (although they leak sound really bad).

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-EH-150-Evolution-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00067OF80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257757040&sr=8-1

One thing about buying expensive headphones is that you can often become overprotective with them. I have a $300 pair of headphones that I never take outside because I'm scared of losing them or damaging them... They end up getting used less than my normal pair.

Usually what happens when sound stops coming out of one headphone is that the connection has broken/been damaged between the cable and the earpiece. On some brand of headphones, it is possible to remove the earpiece (one advantage headphones have over earphones) and get at the wiring. You can then solder the wiring back in and that should fix most problems (just don't short circuit the thing).

kendraaaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 08:09:05 pm »
I've got a pair of awesome noise-cancelling Phillips headphones, ohhhh so good. But I've had 3 pairs of iPod headphones where the left-side stops working ahah, shitty things they are.

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 08:14:32 pm »
I've got a pair of awesome noise-cancelling Phillips headphones, ohhhh so good. But I've had 3 pairs of iPod headphones where the left-side stops working ahah, shitty things they are.
It's always the left side with the ipod headphones.
[IMG]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2506/avatarcg3.png[/img]
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"It's not a community effort"
"It's not allowed. Only death is a valid excuse"
"Probably for the first time time this year I was totally flabbergasted by some of the 'absolute junk' I had to correct .... I was going to use 'crap' but that was too kind a word"
"How can you expect to do well when
-you draw a lemon as having two half-cells connected with a salt bridge
-your lemons come with Cu2+ ions built in" - Dwyer
"Why'd you score so bad?!" - Zotos
"Your arguments are seri

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 08:32:31 pm »
I use these headphones: http://www.sanity.com.au/ProductDetail.aspx?id=214867
They haven't broken on me yet and I normally get through a new pair of earphones every few months. Also headphones > earphones.

Otherwise, I always hear lots of good things about Skullcandy, or if you're looking for cheap but also reliable earphones there's JVC Gumy earphones which most of my friends use.
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne