Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:59:12 pm

Author Topic: car vs public transport  (Read 1598 times)  Share 

-

car vs public transport
« on: July 09, 2010, 02:07:08 am »
ignoring the cost of the actual car, is it cheaper ot take public transport or pay for petrol  to go to work every day? :police:

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
Re: car vs public transport
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 02:19:11 am »
How far away is work, what type of Metcard would you be using (zones?), and do you drive a Prius?

I'm assuming you're ruling out other costly factors such as time spent waiting for public transportation and personal preferences such as how much being squished against other people/not having a seat shits you. There's also the weather. During the winter influenza season you could avoid infection from commuters by travelling in your protective shell of isolation, and then get sick from a co-worker instead - costing you money to get some drugs, feel like there's an elephant lodged inside you, can't turn up to work etc. If you drive in the summer heat you'd be tempted to crank up the air con a notch, which eats more energy. Also in that weather, public transport wouldn't be the place of choice unless you don't actually mind nasty BO and all the other unmentioned nasties that could burn your imagination.

Having said that, don't drive, get off my road, I have feelings of selfishness too.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:58:24 am by Toothpaste »

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Mac.Robertson Girls' High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:18:39 pm »
 It depends on how far you're travelling and also whether you're using a myki or a metcard (I have to use myki by default because its the only available student yearly option) For example, if you're travelling from oakleigh to glenwaverly...you would be much better off driving because it will be quicker and save time (zone 1+2 ticket and saving time from changing train lines)
2010: Biology
2011: English | English Language | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Psychology

echenzi

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • To Infinity and Beyond.★★★★★ <3 ariawuu
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 12:33:08 am »
costwise, generally speaking..

public transport is cheaper :P

Otherwise no one would use it :P

It depends on your patience :)
2010: Biology
2011: English, MM SM, Physics, Chem.
2012: Survive the apocalypse.
<3 ariawuu
Long-term future goal: Sleep for 1/3rd of my life.

“For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today” - African Proverb.

“The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage.” - Thuycidedes

mcmerc01

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:21:19 pm »
Getting my P Plates next year, Can't wait! When I get my license, I'll never take public transport...Probably And FYI A prius isn't a car...

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:23:50 pm »
It depends, if you're going into the city then paying for parking can get a bit nuts, particularly if you can get a concession train fare. If you are going between two suburbs on separate lines (and so you'd therefore have to take two trains), it's much easier/quicker/better just to drive so then your daily commute isn't 3 hours or whatever.

IMO, public transport is actually pretty nice/clean/temperature controlled but it's not so great during peak hours.

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 11:36:00 am »
For example, if you're travelling from oakleigh to glenwaverly...you would be much better off driving because it will be quicker and save time (zone 1+2 ticket and saving time from changing train lines)
If you are going between two suburbs on separate lines (and so you'd therefore have to take two trains), it's much easier/quicker/better just to drive so then your daily commute isn't 3 hours or whatever.
Don't forget busses. They're public transport too and are great for getting around the burbs- but are much slower than cars.
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 05:44:01 am »
I'm sure theres no debate about the fact that public transport would be cheaper* option.

It's just up to you if you, along with that money saving factor, are also willing to cop the downsides of public transport.

I generally think it isn't too terrible of an experience either, it (half the time anyway) gets you from point A to point B cheaply and reliably (haha..ow..).

If you're just going into melbourne or something and live near a train-station the train is really the much better alternative cost wise, enviroment wise, ect.

If you're doing what im doing and going to a uni on the other side of the city, a car might be more wise.

I live in the west and to get to monash without using a car at all involes Bus->Train to City->Train to Monash->Bus from station near monash to monash, which is about ~2 hours, i've done it twice and i'm already sick of it.

If you're in that kind of situation driving becomes like a high class stripper, sure its expensive but its the much more attractive option.

*(If you want to be pendantic about it you could find out how much petrol the average care uses per km then find the price of petrol and try figure in the distances youll go to get a price but who can be bothered doing this..)

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research