Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:28:32 pm

Author Topic: Extension Studies  (Read 2971 times)  Share 

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
Extension Studies
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:20:58 pm »
Heeey everyone! I was wondering have any of you done or are you doing extension studies in year 12? How hard and time consuming is it, also what do you have to do to get in?

First post woot! :D

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: Extension Studies
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:33:14 pm »
It's not *that* difficult to get in. If your year 11 reports are good, and if you've gotten above 35 for any year 12 subjects you did this year, then you're pretty much set.

As for time consuming, I found the travel to be the most difficult part. So, if you take public transport, I'd advise you to do at least some work in transit (I did Lit so I spent about 90% of train time reading). You will probably be required to do more independent research (which isn't bad - actually kind of fun) than in the VCE; you'll also have to be more responsible for making sure you know where you're supposed to be and when things are due. Also, you have to make sure you know what resources you have. You're responsible for figuring out how to use the library, SuperSearch and online class resources (e.g. accessing lectures online). It's not really difficult. If you put in the same amount of effort as you do for your VCE subjects you should go very well.

I learned on-campus, though. I believe the school centre experience would be a bit different though?

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:57:06 pm »
haha i've applied to do accounting in monash for next year =) have to send in my results and they will tell me about it in jan. wat subject r u thinking of doing? ure in yr 11 2008 rite?
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 11:14:35 pm »
I'll be doing maths at Monash next year. :)

Get good reports, good study scores (preferably around 40) and love the subject.

millstone

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 01:36:01 am »
lol i was sposed to do uni history next year but in all the fuss over exams i forgot to put the application in
but i don't care it's two days a week where i would get home at 8pm and that'd make me screw up vce subjects

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 01:43:32 am »
lol i was sposed to do uni history next year but in all the fuss over exams i forgot to put the application in
but i don't care it's two days a week where i would get home at 8pm and that'd make me screw up vce subjects

It's apparently not too late for applications! Ahmad said he gave his form in during January!

:)

millstone

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 02:23:54 am »
oh really?
hmm do you guys think it's worth it?
two days a week til 8pm (inc travel time) i think monday and thursday?
could impact quite a lot on my other subjects especially if i had a sac the day after i dunno arghh

anyone done uni history in year 12? thoughts?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 08:07:35 am »
You can access entire lectures online now. I was supposed to go in twice a week, but ended up going once a week and listened to one of the lectures at home.

squance

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 12:57:10 pm »
I did UMEP psychology and I was one slacker....

I wagged 95% of lectures and still managed to get an increment of 5 towards my enter.. WOot!

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 02:07:11 pm »
millstone, i suppose it depends on what your workload is like next year, the nature of the subjects u're doing as well as how good u r on them (like do u need to do lots of extra work for them etc). but since u can access the lectures online, u might as well try n c lol.
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting