Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:29:07 am

Author Topic: How competitive is it to get into MHS?  (Read 11913 times)  Share 

Caspar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: How competitive is it to get into MHS?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 05:18:39 pm »
Best believe.
UMAT tuition (95/96%iles, 100%iles in S1/S3 between us): http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,33968.0.html

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 09:35:27 pm »
Go to a shit school before taking the exam.

Also, try for other schools as well, MHS isn't that good. The only reason it does well is because it's filled with over-achieving asians.

i went to uni high accelerated program and i got in. plus, the 'over-acheiving asians' are going to be the ones employing u in the future, so give them some respect. Lastly, MHS is a great school for everything except physics.

Thank you for your insightful advice. I can see the accelerated program helped a lot with your grammar. Keep it up, I'm sure you're doing great.

The term 'respect' has been significantly hijacked by the liberal lefts. I don't know how you do it, but I really don't enjoy whoring out respect like some latino gang banger. Respect is something I give to someone 1) who has qualities I aspire to possess or 2) has greatly influenced my thought. Hence, the amount of people I actually do respect, I can count with my left hand. Now, why should I respect a kid who has proved nothing to me but rote-learned answers? MHS is a great school mainly because it has a screening process which separates the wheat from the chaff.

wow! thats pretty tough, just trying to defend my school-mates... did u ever go to MHS, if so, u would probably know a bit more about its 'screening process', aka. entrance exam. plenty of people who are not academically high get in (your 'chaff'), but are made academically high due to the good competition and overall teaching (hence, a 'great school' -able to make the good, the best). in addition, you would also know that there is a difference between Kumon and MHS if u went here, we are not 'rote-learned', that is why we have one of the highest GAT scores in the state (u cannot wrote learn the GAT).

btw, i would give someone respect if they had the power to sack me and deem me unemployed, its just food for thought though... (and my grammar is much betterer than yours... lol... its a forum!)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 03:44:02 pm by Rohitpi »

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 01:19:19 pm »
Is "wrote" learning ironic or have some meaning that I'm not getting?

HERculina

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • To ∞ and beyond
  • Respect: +11
  • School: St. Trinians
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 01:26:55 pm »
If he worked fairly hard for the exam, he should be able to get in.

+1

:)
------------------------------------------------------> :D <-----------------------------------------------------

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 03:52:49 pm »
Is "wrote" learning ironic or have some meaning that I'm not getting?

its actually 'rote learning' (i too made the mistake in my above post -now editted)

Rote learning is a learning technique which focuses on memorization ,eg. multiplication tables in maths, ions and solubilities in chemistry, etc. That is what is normally 'rote-learnt' by everyone.

What Cianyx was saying (or writing) was that MHS is only good in exams because teachers use 'rote-learning' to teach us. Incorrect. That is what many bad tutors do (individuals or organisations such as Kumon). If MHS was 'rote-learnt', then why would our GAT scores be so high, or why do we excel in application questions in bio or chem?

As for the irony, I am not sure... (maybe the spelling was the confusion)

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 03:56:08 pm »

herzy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 04:14:40 pm »
just to put in my two cents: without wanting to degrade MHS in any way, i do agree with someone above who was advocating private schools. I would also tend to agree with clanyx in his (albeit very passionate) statements about rote learning. although i didn't attend MHS, i have friends that did, and the 'top 3% rule' would seem to indicate that the reason you get good results (although not the best) is largely due to your high level of selectivity.

As a result, i would argue that good results are more a result of the student cohort, rather than reflecting on the nature of the school and it's ability to teach. for example, the school i attended is not selective in any way, and yet had an incredible ENTER average of about 93... this, i feel, is indicative of a great school, rather than selectivity

that said, i would by all means encourage people to go to MHS as i'm sure it's a great learning environment in terms of competition, diligence, willingness to learn, etc.
2009 ENTER = 99.85
2010 - Science/Law at Monash

iNerd

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 04:18:26 pm »
just to put in my two cents: without wanting to degrade MHS in any way, i do agree with someone above who was advocating private schools. I would also tend to agree with clanyx in his (albeit very passionate) statements about rote learning. although i didn't attend MHS, i have friends that did, and the 'top 3% rule' would seem to indicate that the reason you get good results (although not the best) is largely due to your high level of selectivity.

As a result, i would argue that good results are more a result of the student cohort, rather than reflecting on the nature of the school and it's ability to teach. for example, the school i attended is not selective in any way, and yet had an incredible ENTER average of about 93... this, i feel, is indicative of a great school, rather than selectivity

that said, i would by all means encourage people to go to MHS as i'm sure it's a great learning environment in terms of competition, diligence, willingness to learn, etc.
You are indeed correct. MHS has the worst physics faculty in the history of physic faculities and some teachers are just downright appalling...MHS does well due to its students who motivate each other. Take it from someone who's suffered Basu, Huysing and Wright  :'(

herzy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 04:20:46 pm »
iNerd can i ask what MHS people think of you doing a VET, and psych as a 3/4?
2009 ENTER = 99.85

iNerd

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 04:25:36 pm »
iNerd can i ask what MHS people think of you doing a VET, and psych as a 3/4?
Obviously laughter/teasing...but I easily rebut it with my 7frees in the first 2weeks and then 10 frees a fortnight from then on...not to mention the fact that VET has no exam and my score contribution will be an average of my primary 4 scaled or 2mention that VET is co-educational..or 2mention that Allied Health is actually part medicine and will be fun..[hopefully]. As for psychology 3/4? nothing there? MHS has the best psych class? 2009 got five 50's from MHS.

herzy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 04:30:43 pm »
re: the VET unit, just wondering what the consensus was - cheers!

just because i know some of my friends (3 of which got 99.95) were a little critical of me signing up for 3/4 PE way back at the end of year 10... but later saw the wisdom of my decision (as did i)

likewise, my sister (now studying med) got a 50 in food tech...

so i'd strongly advocate doing 'dumber' subjects rather than just the expected subjects (obviously i mean this in a wider context rather than directed at you iNerd, i was more wondering what the general opinion was at MHS)
2009 ENTER = 99.85

iNerd

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 04:33:27 pm »
re: the VET unit, just wondering what the consensus was - cheers!

just because i know some of my friends (3 of which got 99.95) were a little critical of me signing up for 3/4 PE way back at the end of year 10... but later saw the wisdom of my decision (as did i)

likewise, my sister (now studying med) got a 50 in food tech...

so i'd strongly advocate doing 'dumber' subjects rather than just the expected subjects (obviously i mean this in a wider context rather than directed at you iNerd, i was more wondering what the general opinion was at MHS)
The general opinion of my friends is that VET is a risky choice, is mainly for the 'white' drop-out kids [ severe racism underlies MHS culture lol :P ] and that I would be better off taking the safe pathway of 6 VCE subjs. I was always going to take Psychology over Biology as I'm much more interested in it and I'll have plenty of time to study biology later on; for now, I shall enjoy school :)

herzy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 04:34:39 pm »
yeah fair enough
2009 ENTER = 99.85

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 07:51:44 pm »
its actually 'rote learning' (i too made the mistake in my above post -now editted)

I'm aware, I thought you were making some point by spelling it "wrote"

And Kumon isn't exactly rote-learning...

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 09:15:02 pm »
maybe not exactly, but the same principle

"do a booklet of the same type of question for a whole week"

its like an army drill, keep doing it until either you get it, or you memorise it