Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 09:41:30 pm

Author Topic: "'Let flat girls get boob jobs on Medicare" yay or nay?  (Read 8235 times)  Share 

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
"'Let flat girls get boob jobs on Medicare" yay or nay?
« on: November 21, 2010, 01:14:59 pm »
Quote from: http://www.news.com.au/national/let-flat-girls-get-boob-jobs-on-medicare-say-plastic-surgeons/story-e6frfkvr-1225957503821

PLASTIC surgeons are pushing for flat-chested women to claim fake boobs on Medicare.

Already hundreds of women are using taxpayer funds for breast enlargement surgery and doctors said many more should be eligible on medical grounds.

Now the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons wants the Federal Government to consider extending the tax-payer-funded benefits to flat-chested women, who suffer what is known in the industry as "hypomastia".

Society president Peter Callan said women might feel a "loss of self-esteem due to undeveloped breasts".

"There are a certain number of women with significant hypomastia who would benefit from breast augmentation from both a psychological and physical perspective," he said.

Any time an item is added, another item is usually excluded from the list, meaning other patients may miss out.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
  • Respect: +1
Re: "'Let flat girls get boob jobs on Medicare" yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 02:35:19 pm »
Wow.

By that logic, any form of plastic surgery should be covered by Medicare.

Penis enlargements all round, but hey, we're not paying for your kid's braces.
arts arts arts arts arts arts arts
Psychology Major at UoM - Resident of St. Hilda's College
Awarded PhD(Honours) in Beer on 23/2/11
objective immorality does not exist

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 05:13:51 pm »
I think there's something in it, but it's too open for abuse the way they've proposed it

From the plastic surgeon on Grey's Anatomy: nobody ever comes to me because they've got a problem on the outside

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:16:49 pm »
I think it's categorically unnecessary, so no.

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:27:09 pm »
I think there's something in it, but it's too open for abuse the way they've proposed it

From the plastic surgeon on Grey's Anatomy: nobody ever comes to me because they've got a problem on the outside

Exactly!
It's not dealing with the root cause (emotional insecurity), but rather covering it up and enabling the idea that how our bodies look should determine our social status.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 05:43:57 pm »
Mmm, it's an interesting situation.

Mental health disorders are a recognised health problem and thus subsidised by Medicare. If a woman has anxiety, depression etc. as a result of dissatisfaction with physical characteristics (can be extended to men as well) I don't see what's so wrong with the plastic surgery. From a fiscal perspective it could even be cheaper than prolonged therapy.

My objection to this proposal is that it's got no indication of whether they actually "need" the surgery or not, which is probably too hard to measure.

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 05:56:16 pm »
Mmm, it's an interesting situation.

Mental health disorders are a recognised health problem and thus subsidised by Medicare. If a woman has anxiety, depression etc. as a result of dissatisfaction with physical characteristics (can be extended to men as well) I don't see what's so wrong with the plastic surgery. From a fiscal perspective it could even be cheaper than prolonged therapy.

My objection to this proposal is that it's got no indication of whether they actually "need" the surgery or not, which is probably too hard to measure.

In providing the plastic surgery, we would be enabling the idea that it is better to have larger breasts (or any other physical adjustment) for appearance's sake. This would cause significant damage to the already fragile self-esteems of many Australians.

Medicare would be supporting the notion that the stereotypically 'hot' or 'sexy' bodies shown in the media are bodies which everyone should have, so as to ensure they have ideal body images.

The money would be better spent on campaigns and programs that aim to change the opinions and views of society in regards to what it is to be 'attractive', and help to enable people to feel comfortable in their natural bodies.

ninwa

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 06:18:30 pm »
I'd rather they subsidised breast reduction surgery for all those poor women suffering constant back pain etc.

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 06:21:11 pm »
I'd rather they subsidised breast reduction surgery for all those poor women suffering constant back pain etc.

+1
Definitely a logical suggestion.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 06:25:37 pm »
Medicare would be supporting the notion that the stereotypically 'hot' or 'sexy' bodies shown in the media are bodies which everyone should have, so as to ensure they have ideal body images.

Not exactly, they'd be supporting the idea that people with psychological issues need to address them. I don't think the media is necessarily responsible for every instance of people being dissatisfied with their body, it just exacerbates the problems. People who feel that they need plastic surgery and have developed serious mental problems around body image are different to people who just want to look like the latest it girl.

Was under the impression they did?

ninwa

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 06:33:58 pm »

Was under the impression they did?

I can't find it here but I just did a search for "breast" so might've missed it

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 06:36:58 pm »

Not exactly, they'd be supporting the idea that people with psychological issues need to address them. I don't think the media is necessarily responsible for every instance of people being dissatisfied with their body, it just exacerbates the problems. People who feel that they need plastic surgery and have developed serious mental problems around body image are different to people who just want to look like the latest it girl.

Yes, they would be supporting that. However, their prescribed and therefore advocated cure for such is unreasonable and unsustainable. It is better to prevent the onset of this psychological disturbance through programs and campaigns that address unhealthy attitudes towards body-image, rather than provide an expensive physical treatment for an issue with emotional roots.

No, the media is not responsible for every case. The media merely provides stimulation of common societal values, in an attempt to appeal to the consumers; much of the time, regardless of morality. This leads to unhealthy community attitudes being reflected to all. Teenagers are especially influenced by such messages.

ninwa

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 03:19:28 pm »
In an ideal world we would give people this and all the procedures they need for free, unfortunately, we have a limited budget.

From a purely utilitarian perspective, i think the money we use on this particular cause, while tragic for the people who have a percieved problem with it, could be better spent somewhere else in the health system, so im not for this kind of proposal.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research