Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:25:28 am

Author Topic: GAMSAT - Physics?  (Read 11945 times)  Share 

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
GAMSAT - Physics?
« on: January 07, 2011, 11:01:07 am »
Hey, I'm considering doing graduate med and i was just wondering about the physics component of it.

(Admittedly i know nothing about the GAMSAT really....)

I'm probably going to wind up at Monash and i haven't done year 12 physics, so that would mean taking foundation physics. I mean I'm not the biggest physics fan but i can definitely put up with it....

Only one problem i was looking at the Monash website and i found some timetable thing.... one of the parts of the lecture starts at 8am, which wouldnt be bad for most but i live in the west ~2 hours away(that just includes transport and not getting ready), so i'd have to get up at like 5-5:30am just to make it. (I know it seems like a crappy reason to not pick a subject but 530 is really a bit much..)

I'm also planning on transferring to melbourne (i checked they don't have foundation physics similar to this outside of semester 1) mid-year if i can get in, so i also want to keep a good GPA... i don't know how good i'll be at physics.

So i guess my question is, how big a part of the gamsat is physics? (and indeed what else makes it up i know i need uni chem i think...uni biology... its all very fuzzy...links would be appreciated)
Also, is it possible to just self learn the physics using a text book or khanacademy or something or would that take way to long and be hard on my own?

(On a side note... why are there so many more gamsat resources on Google compared to ones for umat?)

(Oh and right before anyone asks melbourne is a hell of a lot closer ~30-40 mins away)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:05:51 am by kingpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: GAMSAT - Physics?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:40:29 am »
You can not go to the lecture and just get it online. Given that it's at Clayton at 8am, I think most people enrolled in it will do that.

90% of the physics on the GAMSAT is fairly standard year 12 stuff. The other two areas are biology and chemistry. Yes you can self learn it if you work well like that. There's a thread in the UoM forum about this.

As for google, it's because the GAMSAT is much much bigger/more "popular" than the UMAT

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:31 am »
Don't worry you can just wag the lecture, as many, many people will no doubt do. I wag 11am lectures even though I live ~10 minutes away because I ceebs getting up, it's not a problem.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:14:24 pm »
Really? So i wont miss out on much then

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it  ;)

Would this subject also cover me you reckon (i like biology much better than physics...just seems easier) or should i just go for the straight up physics?

On second thoughts i dont think so no motion or anything
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:16:35 pm by kingpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:50:11 pm »
u can just skip it and listen online like people have said
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

happyhappyland

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 10:24:57 pm »
Other subjects you take might also be at 8am... are you sure there isnt another session? Because I know in some of the others subjects there like another set of lecture at different times...

Ill be taking that subject too :)
2011: Bachelor of Science (Melbourne)

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:41:20 pm »
Your uni course won't cover everything on the GAMSAT for physics realise. I'm considering doing the Fundamentals physics subject at UoM which has a few of the same topics, but otherwise I'll have to study things on my own. Look up your course outline and see, and then also ensure to study the missing GAMSAT topics.

Looking around pagingdr, here are two lists people have made:

* Projectile motion and max horizontal range of shot-putter (2005)
* Impulse – area under Force x Time graph (every year)
* F=ma and forces as a runner pushes off from starting block (recent)
* Open and closed pipe – and production of overtones by humming and whistling (recent)
* Archimedes' Principles (every paper)
* Radioactive Decay – Alpha, Beta, Gamma particles (every paper)

and

Vectors (motion, velocity, acceleration)
Mechanics (Newtons laws, friction)
Energy (equations, momentum etc etc)
Elasticity
Electricity and Circuits (calculating resistance etc)
Electric and Magnetic fields
Waves (SHM, interference, photoelectrics effect, EM spectrum)
Radioactive decay (also in chemistry, half life, rate, stability)
Particles vs Waves (particularly with light)
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 04:27:31 am »
are you sure there isnt another session? Because I know in some of the others subjects there like another set of lecture at different times...
Nah its only one session, i guess its a small cohort of students.

Ill be taking that subject too :)

Haha awesome see you there.

Your uni course won't cover everything on the GAMSAT for physics realise. I'm considering doing the Fundamentals physics subject at UoM which has a few of the same topics, but otherwise I'll have to study things on my own. Look up your course outline and see, and then also ensure to study the missing GAMSAT topics.

I registered on paging doctor a couple days ago before i saw this post and had a look around but theres not a lot of stickies or anything like that full of information. Kinda hard to hunt down.

It seems to cover most of those things(click for handbook entry) on a brief glance.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 09:54:45 am »
+2
Whatever you do, don't ask a question on PD or you'll get people yelling at you to search properly. Some of the time it's justified, but some of the time they're just being jerks.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 03:07:57 pm »
+1
Whatever you do, don't ask a question on PD or you'll get people yelling at you to search properly. Some of the time it's justified, but some of the time they're just being jerks.

Haha this is true most of the time, I've asked many questions xD
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE