Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:57:23 am

Author Topic: law.. help!  (Read 9657 times)  Share 

hard

law.. help!
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:04:30 pm »
As most know, i love anything to do with law and i'm planning on doing something a long the lines of law realted courses.
However i am very undecided on what specific course and what uni i should study law. I really need help. Firstly, there's the option of doing straight commerce at Melbourne and then hope to make it into J.D. This needs and ENTER of roughly 95 but i could get in with like 93 through ACCESS.

Then there's the option of having to go to ANU, and doing commerce/law which needs and ENTER of ~ 95.5 but i'd need a scholarship to finance my course and then i'd have to work to cover the costs of accommodation.

Then there's the option of doing law/commerce or law at Deakin which needs and ENTER of roughly 93.

Then there's the option of doing law at Monash which needs 98+

I just want to know, that what is the best option? In terms of travel, job opportunities etc etc. I live in the Northern suburbs and like 20 mins from city. The best option for me would probs be Deaking, cause it's the closest and it's not as ambigous as the melbourne model. Monash is too far and ANU i'd have to get the money to go there.

Also is there much work for lawyers? Are they well regarded? Highly paid?
Don't get me wrong, i'm not wanting to become a lawyer for money, but it certainly does play a key role here.
Can someone please give me some info on the courses offered by these unis and other q's i've asked.
thanks.

brendan

Re: law.. help!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:25:11 pm »
Don't get me wrong, i'm not wanting to become a lawyer for money, but it certainly does play a key role here.

Why do you want to become a lawyer?

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:29:51 pm »
I don't know too much about law but heres my (probably very wrong) view on things;

UoM: Like you said, too ambiguous, too uncertain, and basically it's just not worth gambling your career on it, since if you don't get into law, you're kind of left in a 'NOW WHUT' situation. However, the UoM J.D is yards ahead of Monash and Deakin in terms of reputation I think.

ANU: As long as you get the scholarship, and don't mind moving out, I don't see why not. ANU from what I've heard is the most respected (or one of the respected at least) law courses in Australia.

Monash: Travel will be an issue but perhaps you could aim to get one of those $6k a year scholarships which they apparent handed out like cake last year (approximately 98 and above ENTER from what I saw for those who applied; WHY THE HELL DIDN'T I APPLY), with which you could cover accommodation near the campus. From this, you could just go back home on weekends and such too so it wouldn't be too bad; nice balance between independence and family living.

Deakin: OK this might be the controversial part and someone's bound to prove me wrong, but I have a feeling law is one of the courses in which where you get your degree actually matters in terms of employment, and if this is true, Deakin is probably looked down upon quite much more than the other two.

My opinion on this would probably be ANU->Monash->Deakin->UoM, but like I said, law courses definitely aren't my area of knowledge at all and everything I've said here, particularly about reputations is just from some very very unreliable sources.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

hard

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:22:25 pm »

Why do you want to become a lawyer?
because i have a genuine interest international law so i'd presume a law degree can take me there.

and shinny thanks again, even though you may not be an expert, any help is appreciated.

brendan

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 11:32:54 pm »
dw abt travel i say, it will give u plenty of time to finish ur readings :P

brendan

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 11:33:29 pm »
interest international law so i'd presume a law degree can take me there..

what's your interest in international law?

hard

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 11:38:59 pm »
interest international law so i'd presume a law degree can take me there..

what's your interest in international law?
I want to become involved in the whole scene of treaties, resolutions and declarations between like international organizations etc etc. In general, i want to become involved with international affairs that affect legal principles.

gemgem49

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • no hesitation
  • Respect: +35
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 12:17:56 am »
My uni friend said to me today "Why do people do law... most of them are going to end up as civil servants anyway" and i was like 'what?' and he said something about there being too many law students. i have no idea if this is right or not.
[ VCE 2008 ] Legal Studies 45 - English 39 - Biology 37 - History Revolutions 37 - Literature 24
ENTER: 92.80

[ 2009 - 2010 ] Arts (Global) at Monash University, Clayton.
[ 2011 ] went insane
[ 2012 ] Bachelor of Arts at Monash University, Clayton

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:38:29 am »
Deakin: OK this might be the controversial part and someone's bound to prove me wrong, but I have a feeling law is one of the courses in which where you get your degree actually matters in terms of employment, and if this is true, Deakin is probably looked down upon quite much more than the other two.
That is actually quite true. The top tier law firms at least usually will not take interns / clerks who are not from Monash or Melbourne. I heard this from people applying for internships, as well as a person who apparently was actually responsible for going through applications. Also I have some personal experience - the group interviews I've gone to for community legal centres etc. have almost all been comprised of UoM and Monash people. I remember ONE lady from Deakin (who didn't end up getting in).

ANU is the best uni in Australia for law.

UoM JD is way too uncertain to risk it, unless your ENTER is too low to get into undergraduate law.

Monash is good for law. Travel may be a problem but like Brendan said, it could be valuable time spent on doing your pre-lecture reading ... because trust me, you're gonna wanna grab every morsel of time you have to complete all the piles of reading you have to do :P
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

hard

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 08:17:43 am »
ah yer thanks ninwa. Well now it's gonna be either monash law if i get in, ANU law or melbourne commerce > law. thanks for the help people.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 12:06:24 pm »
Another advantage of ANU (without trying to sound like I want to sell the place) is that international law is something ANU academics are especially keen on.

As far as money goes, if you aren't going to get over about 99.6 or something, then you're unlikely to receive a scholarship that will completely cover accommodation costs. However, there are other options. You can take a year off to work or you can get a low-interest student loan from a bank, or you could work, or you could try to win your way into Centrelink payments, or you can do a number of these things. Your parents might be supportive as well, at least for the first year. It's worth asking them what they would be prepared to contribute.

However, I don't think that the JD option is actually that bad. Melbourne is not the only university that offers the JD - Monash, RMIT and ANU offer it as well. By that time you'd have a degree and therefore a means to earn decent money working part-time at some kind of firm and you could do a JD part-time if you wanted. However, if you know that you want to get into law right now, that's what you should do (incidentally, if you really want to be a lawyer, I don't really see the point in doing a double degree or any other degree).

Another option is to get into Deakin law and then try to get a masters degree at another university, that would make you stand out pretty well.

hard

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 05:10:05 pm »
yer those are great options there eriny, thanks. Well i have decided now that i will apply for law@ANU , commerce at melbourne, law at monash and law at la trobe and see what happens.

But just a thing about law, is the pay good? like for a la trobe grad, is it good? what about an ANU grad? do most get paid well straight of uni? thanks

EDIT: also could i apply for EAS which is like ACCESS or SNAP or whatever but for the UAC?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:22:38 pm by hard »

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 05:47:43 pm »
(incidentally, if you really want to be a lawyer, I don't really see the point in doing a double degree or any other degree).
Many top and middle tier law firms look for students doing double degrees, because it means they come with a wider range of skills - e.g. skills in languages (arts), accounting (commerce), etc. Also if you want to be a lawyer for a company in the health sciences for example it would be advantageous to do biomed/law. I have a friend doing engineering/law who wants to work as a lawyer for engineering firms. It depends on what kind of lawyer you want to be.

But just a thing about law, is the pay good? like for a la trobe grad, is it good? what about an ANU grad? do most get paid well straight of uni? thanks
I think the average graduate pay of law graduates is around $50,000/year. I also think pay for a La Trobe grad is unlikely to be as high as a Monash/ANU/UoM grad, unless you've got a crazy high average and heaps of extracurricular activities etc. Also depends on which area you're going to practice in - a legal aid lawyer is not going to be paid nearly as much as a big-time lawyer for a huge company.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

brendan

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 05:49:35 pm »
well ur pay depends on whether you yourself are good at what you do. If you are pulling 80s in your law subjects at UoM (and >80 for your other non-law subjects), have plenty of relevant work experience under your belt, i say you got a pretty good chance of breaking into corporate law and hence making decent money in your career.

Also you should check out my legal careers guides thread:

http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,1585.0.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:53:58 pm by Brendan »

hard

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 05:51:35 pm »
sweeeeeet thanks guys