Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 07:39:38 am

Author Topic: law.. help!  (Read 9757 times)  Share 

wombifat

Re: law.. help!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2009, 03:35:59 pm »
You probably shouldn't base your whole career path on one article.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:45:51 pm by wombifat »

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2009, 03:51:17 pm »

I'm confident there are many more like it.

I remember reading a really interesting (but depressing) article in some magazine about the life of a lawyer in a top firm. I vaguely remember one of the partners of a top law firm saying something about family, a social life and being a good lawyer are all connected, you must sacrifice one to get more of the other.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 04:28:38 pm »
That's true. You can also turn it around and say that if one article turns you off a career, then you probably shouldn't be taking that career path anyway.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

wombifat

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 08:11:25 pm »
Well those people made decisions to sacrifice their families and social lives to further their law careers.  It doesn't mean that if you want a career that relates to law, you automatically have to sacrifice your family and social life.  Any career path can lead to a hectic career.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 10:16:40 pm »
Well those people made decisions to sacrifice their families and social lives to further their law careers.  It doesn't mean that if you want a career that relates to law, you automatically have to sacrifice your family and social life.  Any career path can lead to a hectic career.
Exactly. Only if you're really really ambitious and want to be a partner of a top tier law firm by 30 or something. Then you'd probably not have a life outside of your career.

I know people who have one or two parents working as highly successful lawyers and their family and social life is perfectly normal. It's all about balance!
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

wombifat

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2009, 09:12:20 am »
Yeah, and that's basically the same as any career.  If you want to be at the top of any career, you'll probably have to make sacrifices.

brendan

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 01:25:39 am »