Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:11:28 pm

Author Topic: -_- parents want to raise "genderless child"  (Read 940 times)  Share 

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: -_- parents want to raise "genderless child"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:47:36 pm »
I actually think this is a good idea! I would be interested to read about how the child is going over the next few years and over their lifetime. But good luck to them, because the kid is going to be treated according to gender norms by most of the general public depending on what they look like. I also think it's highly likely that the child will choose a gender (whether that's the same as their sex or not, who knows) because as inter-sex people point out, it is really difficult to be genderless in a gendered world.

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:27:39 pm »
   Being 'genderless' might be hard, but 'they' (wish we had a gender-neutral pronoun) might be able to choose which gender they wanted to be (or as a sociologist might say "perform"), on a particular day or in a particular context, which would be cool.
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:35:22 am »
15 years later in the bedroom:

"Well, this is awkward... Wonder if I can get that swapped under warranty."
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015