Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 09:54:20 am

Author Topic: How do you afford the costs?  (Read 13918 times)  Share 

#1procrastinator

How do you afford the costs?
« on: September 05, 2011, 01:37:10 pm »
I'm interested in how those who've moved interstate to study here are able to afford the fees, accommodation, food etc.

Thanks

EDIT: Also, do you ALL have roommates?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:42:21 pm by #1procrastinator »

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: How do you afford the costs?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:57:37 pm »
+1
This is the most common question ANUers must get on ATAR notes, so have a look around this area of the forum to see if you can find any other info. Basically, most of us survive on some combination of scholarships, youth allowance, paid employment, loans, and contributions from our parents. Rent at a fully catered college is a bit over $13,000 a year and that's probably the most expensive option (other than moving into "The Apartments" - a large building full of luxury, "inner-city" flats), the cheapest option there is is renting a place in a share-house out in the suburbs (for reference, if you like this option a house in the inner-north will be cycling distance to ANU; a house further away will be cheaper but you'd need a car or a nearby bus line). In the future, there may also be an option of being part of a housing co-op which currently a bunch of students are trying to set up (you can read more about it here: http://www.woroni.com.au/articles/opinion-and-editorials/when-house-becomes-home ) Other than accommodation and food, you can defer all your course fees and for Arts subjects find most of your materials online (law, commerce and some science subjects still make you buy really expensive textbooks though). There's also, of course, expenses associated with going out and various activities. I've never had a proper budget (although at various times, depending on my employment status, I probably should have budgeted more closely) but planning expenses does work well for a lot of people

#1procrastinator

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:30:29 pm »
Thank you, very informative reply

chansthename

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:37:49 pm »
it's well worth it, give you a lot of freedom and if you can afford it it's a lot of fun on campus as well.

missunknown

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Presbyterian Ladies' College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:20:26 pm »
What exactly are 'the apartments' and are they located on campus? THanks :)

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:05:17 pm »
The 'apartments' are newer on-campus residences which were originally designed for later year and post-graduate students, who often want quieter environments for study.  Due to some administration stuff, however, they've basically been used to house a lot of first years, so they've sort of developed their own (admittedly less intensive and "in-your-face") social culture.  They are located on campus, and are actually in probably an ideal location for many students (they're MUCH closer to the city than the other halls).
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 12:00:25 pm »
When I said the apartments I meant these (not UniLodge): http://www.newacton.com.au/
They're located in New Acton, which is just off-campus. I know a student who lives there, but it would be (very) far beyond most of our budgets.

I like UniLodge, it's exxy but there are really nice facilities and stuff.

missunknown

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Presbyterian Ladies' College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:58:29 pm »
When I said the apartments I meant these (not UniLodge): http://www.newacton.com.au/
They're located in New Acton, which is just off-campus. I know a student who lives there, but it would be (very) far beyond most of our budgets.

I like UniLodge, it's exxy but there are really nice facilities and stuff.

OMG! They are really nice :D
Wish I could live there :3

weasleyisourking

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 09:30:56 pm »
it's well worth it, give you a lot of freedom and if you can afford it it's a lot of fun on campus as well.
: You moved from Victoria? Are you originally from Melbourne?
I hate to sound shallow but Canberra is still fun right? Was it worth the move?
I love ANU but I am starting to realise that uni is not just about studying ... is ANU socially invigorating?
I'll still end up going there if I get in but I just wanted to ask a student rather than read the brochures. Thanks. :)
I wanna be the very best, like no-one ever was. DUN DUN DUN.

2011: Methods [29], Physics [34], English [46], History: Revolutions: [46], Literature [47]
+ Cert III Apprenticeship credits
ATAR 2011: 98.00
2012 +: International Relations/LLB @ ANU

“Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 02:17:09 pm »
^^Canberra is really what you make of it.  If you live on-campus, generally speaking, you should be fine - there's so much going on all the time that the ANU becomes like its own little village of sorts.  In fact, I'd say the ANU is in a much better position than most other Australian Unis are in terms of being able to pull in extra-interesting social/co-curricular events, due to the fact that so many people live on-campus.

The only thing I would warn you is that Canberra's night life is averageish.  After dark, it's usually the case that only clubs are open, and the clubs themselves aren't all that flash.  That said, everything is also ridiculously close to campus (I can walk to the city center in five minutes from my room) and parties are usually more college-based, so it's all good.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 08:22:43 pm »
I love ANU but I am starting to realise that uni is not just about studying ... is ANU socially invigorating?

Get into one of the ANU dorms ie. Bruce. It will socially invigorate your brains out.
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

chansthename

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:57 pm »
I'll still end up going there if I get in but I just wanted to ask a student rather than read the brochures. Thanks. :)

Yeah, I moved from vic. WRT to fun, as EZ said.

I think it is worth the move (if you can afford it), also having a large number of on-campus residents makes it an even better experience than monash or the other options in melbourne. You can be as social as you want no matter where on campus you end up at.

Also a much better experience being so far away from home (due to not having parents around as well as being independent)

#1procrastinator

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 11:21:56 am »
what's moving like? did you bring most of your stuff with you? had them shipped up? what about the first few weeks of being independent?

weasleyisourking

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 12:59:22 pm »

Get into one of the ANU dorms ie. Bruce. It will socially invigorate your brains out.

Thanks! I applied to Johns - praying I get it!

2011: Methods [29], Physics [34], English [46], History: Revolutions: [46], Literature [47]

“Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

weasleyisourking

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 01:00:43 pm »

Yeah, I moved from vic. WRT to fun, as EZ said.

I think it is worth the move (if you can afford it), also having a large number of on-campus residents makes it an even better experience than monash or the other options in melbourne. You can be as social as you want no matter where on campus you end up at.

Also a much better experience being so far away from home (due to not having parents around as well as being independent)

Thanks so much, that was what I was hoping to hear! Are you living in a college or at Uni Lodge?