Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:35:03 pm

Author Topic: ANU 2012 - anyone?  (Read 9259 times)  Share 

chansthename

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
Re: ANU 2012 - anyone?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 08:35:16 pm »
Hmm... sounds interesting.... is it too late to apply for ANU? I've already got a UAC application submitted....
from memory I believe that you can modify your application until the final closing date at no extra charge. Having said that you should do your own research first to confirm.

Menang

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 01:18:51 pm »
EZ - Can you tell us more about the PhB? It seems so different from the average undergrad degree. Not sure what it entails etc...

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 07:12:01 pm »
I'll post a general thing later, but check your FB :)
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

weasleyisourking

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 08:29:00 pm »
I'm after International Relations/Law if I can scrape the ATAR! ANU looks amazing - and they have a Quidditch team!!
I wanna be the very best, like no-one ever was. DUN DUN DUN.

2011: Methods [29], Physics [34], English [46], History: Revolutions: [46], Literature [47]
+ Cert III Apprenticeship credits
ATAR 2011: 98.00
2012 +: International Relations/LLB @ ANU

“Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 10:18:23 pm »
EZ - Can you tell us more about the PhB? It seems so different from the average undergrad degree. Not sure what it entails etc...

Ok,

So in a nutshell, the PhB is basically a super-duper charged version of a Bachelor of Arts or Science.  The differences are basically:

1. The University loves you.  You get away with all sorts of things which nobody else can do - for instance, half of my cohort jumped right into second year subjects right off the bat, and they got permission to take a lot of courses (which they didn't have the pre-requisites for) which non-PhB students got denied access to.  When people apply for exchange, they almost always seem to prioritise the PhB students, and in interviews, there's a reported difference between how they tend to treat PhB students and the rest.

2. You get access to Larry, who basically is a god of organisation.  He will help you (one-on-one) plan out your degree, teach you about the different options which are available to you, tell you what people in the past have taken, etc.  He will also help you assess your options with university life, make sure that all is well, and so forth.  Basically, he's there as a combination of a pastoral/academic mentor. 

3. You're allowed to take Advanced Studies courses.  These are basically courses where YOU get to design the content.  Do you want to study Renaissance Literature?  Find someone to take an Advanced Studies course with, and it's a go.  Want to study all of Nietzsche's work in one semester, and write a 5500 word essay on it?  Go for it.  You're also allowed to adapt existing courses towards your own needs (eg. you might want to change the assessment requirements for a 3rd year subject, so that you can write a longer essay or something).  In science, this is usually more along the lines of you just doing original research: for instance, one of my friends is doing research work on Malaria at the moment, and another friend is doing a project about how superhydrophobic substances behave.  Or something.

Also there are other bits and pieces, but it's mostly stuff you pick up from experience.  It's just an amazing experience though.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:05 pm »
I applied but still haven't applied for colleges. Looks like I'll be sleeping on your floor EZ.

Menang

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 12:58:59 pm »
Hahaha I've been successfully persuaded to consider the PhB - I just changed my UAC preferences.

Need to apply for accommodation as well. Burbs, how are you financing yours?

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 01:08:46 pm »
Like I said, I'm sleeping on EZ's floor. I'll pay for cereal or something.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:08 pm »
(i dunno, doubt ill go so im not concerned)

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 05:20:46 pm »
Burbs - http://www.woroni.com.au/articles/features/world-your-oyster

One of the PhB students who did the ANIP got posted in Tony Abbott's office, and ended up ghostwriting some of his speeches etc. for him. 
---

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 07:25:26 pm »
Ey it's v.chiang :D
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]