Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:34:16 am

Author Topic: WMV9 Convertor for Mac  (Read 1366 times)  Share 

#1procrastinator

WMV9 Convertor for Mac
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:26:30 am »
i just bought a sony media player an it only plays wmv9 video files. i'm using flv crunch and videovangelist files to convert stuff but it only outputs wmv8 files (or other, cause they aren't playing on the player).

so are there free convertors for mac?

thanks

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
Re: WMV9 Convertor for Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:43:31 am »
I looked through a list of software (Apple Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder, VLC) and none of them offer WMV 9 support on the Mac.

Sorenson does, but that's a bit pricey. There's also "Flip4Mac" which looks to be endorsed by Microsoft for official outlet for WMV on Mac. Flip4Mac allows you to export WMV with Quicktime Pro, Compressor and iMovie 06 (apparently not the newer iMovie though). I don't know if the free version gives you that export capability.

#1procrastinator

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:05:04 am »
^ thanks for checking

i found one for windows but the converted files still won't show on the player >.>

just found it has to be QVGA as well
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:29:07 am by #1procrastinator »

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 12:57:47 pm »
^ thanks for checking

i found one for windows but the converted files still won't show on the player >.>

just found it has to be QVGA as well
Damn, for such a demanding media player (videos must be 320x240, seriously? - you'd think it'd have the capability to scale down at least VGA with built in functions) they probably should have provided software to make it easy for users to get video in the correct format. I'd imagine most people wouldn't even know what the difference between QVGA and VGA is.

If you're using Windows, Virtual Dub is the swiss army knife (but can be complicated to use). There was a program that was pretty easy to use, but I can't remember it's name now.

#1procrastinator

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 01:36:26 pm »
^ I[/ii] don't know what the difference is other than the name lol

you reckon virtual dub would be able to take care of it? i'm willing to learn if it doesn't take too long to learn how to use
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 01:38:10 pm by #1procrastinator »

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 01:45:09 pm »
^ I[/ii] don't know what the difference is other than the name lol

you reckon virtual dub would be able to take care of it? i'm willing to learn if it doesn't take too long to learn how to use
Just looked it up and it requires messing around with plugins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Encoder
This was the easier one that I was trying to remember.
Here's a download link: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Windows-Media-Encoder
You could also go for "Expression Encoder" which has replaced WME.

VGA and QVGA are just names for resolutions. VGA is 640 by 480 pixels. QVGA (Quarter VGA) is 320 by 240 pixels. There's a bit more to it, but that's pretty much what it is.

edit: apparently Windows Movie Maker (lol) can also do it, not sure how fine the resolution settings for that are though.