Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 07:11:51 pm

Author Topic: What is the most effective way of studying?  (Read 1666 times)  Share 

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
What is the most effective way of studying?
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:34:15 am »
Self-explanatory.

What is the most effective way of studying? I am lacking the motivation needed to study, and I need some suggestions.
I'm trying 15 minute intervals at the moment with 5 minute breaks but not really working.
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

Deadshot

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: What is the most effective way of studying?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:00:38 am »
Simple. Don't.

Try taking a few hours and do something that has nothing to do with school!

I know this sounds pretty fucked this close to exams, but if you can't study anyway you have very little to lose in taking a small amount of time off.

Good luck!
2011 English [33] - Information Application [45+] - History Revolutions [38] -  Business Management [45+] - Further Mathematics [37+]

ATAR 87+

Bachelor of Business Information Systems @ Monash

:)

seretide

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:30:44 am »
Studying for 15 min then having a 5 min break is not very effective of your time, especially this close to the exams.

Im not one to talk, i take a lot of breaks myself or simply distracted most of the time, but you should be studying for a longer period of time.

Try creating a plan for yourself before you begin any studying. Set out your goals of what you want to achieve that day, and estimate the time it will take complete, wether it be an exam or simply revising something. Then, stick to it. I would say that after each session, take about 10-30 min break. Nothing more. DO NOT allow yourself to exceed your time or you will fall behind on work.

And as for the motivation part, this is vce. All the motivationI had has disappeared throughout the year. But, try thinking about writing your last word on the last exam and your excitement then. That's all thats really keeping me going.

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:03:51 pm »
Cramming is the best study, in my humble opinion. Well, given the subject is 'crammable', which is based on your own skills. As I don't really have a good memory, subjects that require a lot of memorization will require extended periods of time for me to write out notes and revise etc. Otherwise, cram and cram more into the early hours of the day before exams--it has gotten me this far. :D

Good luck!
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:05:33 pm »
Cramming is the best study, in my humble opinion. Well, given the subject is 'crammable', which is based on your own skills. As I don't really have a good memory, subjects that require a lot of memorization will require extended periods of time for me to write out notes and revise etc. Otherwise, cram and cram more into the early hours of the day before exams--it has gotten me this far. :D

Good luck!
yea..
i got into the exam room just before the lady said 'you may begin reading'
memorised them quotes =)
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me