Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:06:57 pm

Author Topic: Advice on where to start? (GAMSAT)  (Read 2683 times)  Share 

Cuddlekins

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Advice on where to start? (GAMSAT)
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:16:54 pm »
Hello,
Im planning to sit the GAMSAT next year in March. And since its summer holidays now i want to start preparing, but im really not sure where to begin. I've been on forums looking around, and the best thing to do is write up a study planner and go through textbooks. Just looking at my two first chemistry textbooks is freaking me out as well as the knox et al biology textbook.
What should i do? Is everything examinable in those textbooks? that means i have to go through those texts in detail. Also i dont have any physics knowledge but im willing to borrow yr 11/12 physics txtbooks and just self learn it and go through youtube videos to assist.

Would making summaries out of the textbooks for chem/bio in first year help? is it redundant? as it is very time consuming. Wat is the best approach ?

Thanks
Bachelor of Science @ UoM

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
Re: Advice on where to start? (GAMSAT)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:52:27 pm »
No, the gamsat is hardly detailed in bio/physics. The physics is very basic, usually requiring only a few lines of working. The biology revolves mostly on diagrams and interpreting graphs/flow charts etc. The hard bit is the chemistry, as imo it is the most in depth. You really need to know your organic chemistry. I would say have a look at the acer practice papers first to get an idea of what kinds of questions will be in the science section.
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

Cuddlekins

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:00:18 pm »
Thanks for that. May i ask how you prepared for organic chemistry? did you go through the first yr textbooks and summarize them?

Thank you
Bachelor of Science @ UoM

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 02:48:49 pm »
Nah, I pretty much went through the ACER books and learnt what I didn't know from that exclusively. Probably wasn't the best of ideas, but I managed to come out with a decent score anyway. I remembered quite a bit from first year, since I did it in 2nd year though, so that helped. Bio was my main problem since I had only done 1 semester of bio (the second semester mind you, which is not nearly as helpful as I hear), and didn't do VCE bio either, so I had to study up on that a bit more than chem.
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]