Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:26:00 am

Author Topic: ANU: Everything you need to know  (Read 34456 times)  Share 

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
ANU: Everything you need to know
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:20:27 pm »
+9
I've noticed that forum-wide, people don't really have much of an understanding about the ANU, meaning that the same handful of us are answering the same questions every single year.  So here's a guide to everything you need to know about one of the most elite universities in Australia.

What does ANU stand for  Where is it?

The ANU is short for the Australian National University, and it is in Canberra.

Is it any good?

Until fairly recently, the ANU was consistently ranked as #1 university in Australia.  Recent rankings have slightly changed this (Melbourne is now #1), but the ANU still ranks ahead in a number of fields.  This is most notable in the Arts and Social Sciences, where the ANU is regarded as a top tier university - even higher than Oxford and Cambridge, according to the Times Higher Education Rankings.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/arts-and-humanities.html
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011/subject-rankings/arts-humanities/philosophy
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011/subject-rankings/arts-humanities/history
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011/subject-rankings/arts-humanities/modern-languages
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011/subject-rankings/social-sciences/politics-international-studies

Why would I want to go to ANU?  Does it have anything to offer other than rankings?

There are a few, recurring reasons why people choose to go to the ANU.  Pick and choose:

1. It is renowned for its Political Science and International Relations program, particularly in a joint Arts/Law degree.  In fact, Arts/Law with a PolSci or IR major is pretty much the most common degree on campus, I would wager.  Students at the ANU have access to the best faculty in Australia, internships in the Federal Parliament, networking opportunities with a buttload of politicians/future politicians, etc.

2. The ANU is pretty much the only university in Australia where a significant number of undergraduate students live on campus.  If having a very vibrant, on-campus lifestyle sounds promising or enticing to you, then ANU is a fantastic choice.

3. Academically, the ANU offers a number of opportunities unique within Australian universities.  Along with having some amazing faculties, the university also plays host to the PhB (Bachelor of Philosophy) and Engineering R&D programs, which are higher-level undergraduate courses requiring ATARs of 99+ for entry.

4. The ANU offers a lot of courses at lower-level ATAR entry points than a lot of other universities.  Arts/Law, for instance, 'only' requires a 96.  This is not to discredit the university's prestige; the lower entry requirements are mostly due to supply and demand, as nobody really wants to move interstate for uni.  If you didn't get into your dream course locally, the ANU may very well be an extremely viable alternative.

***WORK IN PROGRESS: FEEL FREE TO CONTRIBUTE***

Planned sections:

"What's Canberra like?"

"What is different about the ANU?"

"What are the colleges like?"

"How do I apply?"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:24:23 pm by EvangelionZeta »
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

Planck's constant

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
Re: ANU: Everything you need to know
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 12:55:28 pm »

Planned sections:

"What's Canberra like?"

A short and easy one to start with.
A confidence booster :)

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:33 pm »
+2
Until fairly recently, the ANU was consistently ranked as #1 university in the world.  Recent rankings have slightly changed this (Melbourne is now #1),
haha, neither ANU nor Melbourne are that good :P

The  Times' rankings have been all over the place in the last few years. Melbourne was ranked 3rd in Australia in 2008, now it is 1st. USyd was 2nd in 2008 and is now 4th. UQ has been 4th for ages but recently made the top 3. I think it's best to look at either faculty-specific rankings, or to just choose a group of eight which seems cool.

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:41:55 pm »
Until fairly recently, the ANU was consistently ranked as #1 university in the world.  Recent rankings have slightly changed this (Melbourne is now #1),

The  Times' rankings have been all over the place in the last few years. Melbourne was ranked 3rd in Australia in 2008, now it is 1st. USyd was 2nd in 2008 and is now 4th. UQ has been 4th for ages but recently made the top 3. I think it's best to look at either faculty-specific rankings, or to just choose a group of eight which seems cool.
She (he to the rest of you) was meant to type it as #1 Australian university in the world.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:46:48 pm by Phy124 »
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 10:37:57 pm »
Is it true the sun sets really early in Canberra? :P

And apprently the coolest place around is the Pancake Palour cause they don't have clubs ;P

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:36 pm »
+1
How do I get tickets to Kimbra on Friday?
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:16:21 pm »

LOL my bad. 

And apprently the coolest place around is the Pancake Palour cause they don't have clubs ;P

There are actually a lot of clubs, all within walking distance from one another (lol).

How do I get tickets to Kimbra on Friday?

http://unione.anusa.com.au/Common/ContentWM.aspx?CID=62

WILL UPDATE MORE SOON
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:49:05 pm »
Alright thanks. Btw, does uni actually start on the 20th? Like lectures and all that?
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:48:08 am »
^^yes.
---

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 12:39:06 pm »
Ummm...  Where's Canberra?

No, seriously though, I can understand that political studies would be renowned but how about it's science and commerce faculties?  I might be in the minority, but I don't hear much from them at ANU.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

ben92

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 08:21:48 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but a number of ranking systems (QS?) still place ANU at #1. It's probably also worth explaining how these rankings are calculated and hence why they shouldn't bother most undergrad students heading for careers in the private sector.

Otherwise a great and informative piece!

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 11:23:43 am »
Ummm...  Where's Canberra?

No, seriously though, I can understand that political studies would be renowned but how about it's science and commerce faculties?  I might be in the minority, but I don't hear much from them at ANU.
Commerce faculty is pretty average, though its Economics is much better. Its Science faculty is one of its strong points (e.g. it's easily top in Australia for pure maths, and its Research School of Physics is pretty amazing).
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

ben92

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 03:12:40 pm »
I've even heard ANU economics is up there with Harvard in its research...

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 07:54:47 pm »
Hey have any of you guys heard about this course?
Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours)/Bachelor of Science (Honours)/Joint Degree ANU-NUS
ANU STUDYAT description

I'm not sure I understand how it works.. Is it like a compulsory exchange program to the NUS (National University of Singapore)? Also, how would it be different to the regular PhB(Science)?
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 12:32:15 am »
Hey have any of you guys heard about this course?
Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours)/Bachelor of Science (Honours)/Joint Degree ANU-NUS
ANU STUDYAT description

I'm not sure I understand how it works.. Is it like a compulsory exchange program to the NUS (National University of Singapore)? Also, how would it be different to the regular PhB(Science)?
I have a couple of friends who enrolled in that, though only one actually followed through with it (and VERY few people do). But yes, it's essentially a compulsory exchange program with NUS: your first year is at ANU, then the next year and a half in Singapore, then the next six months at ANU, then honours at ANU in your fourth year.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.