Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 06:23:43 am

Poll

Engineering - Which type do you want to do?

Aerospace
Chemical
Civil
Computer systems/Software
Mechanical
Electrical
Biomedical
Materials Engineering

Author Topic: Engineering - Which type do you want to do?  (Read 9352 times)  Share 

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: Engineering - Which type do you want to do?
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 04:11:58 pm »
The level of maths is about the same, maybe a little bit harder in semester 2 when you do kinetics of a reaction (you have to understand a bit of calculus).

I think you'd get used to it though.

Ninox

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • vive le science!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 09:36:51 pm »
I'm trying to decide between Materials and Chemical streams. I'd like to do something in nano or biotech in the future, and for the moment, the nano substream of the chemical eng stream looks attractive.
could someone add the option for materials engineering to the poll please?

Moderator Action: Added Material Engineering by Request, from AppleXY
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:39:38 am by AppleXY »
2006: Engineering Studies 45 (Premier's Award), Religion and Societies 39
2007: Methods 45, Spesh 46, Chem 50, Physics 41, Literature 39, MUEP Maths 5.5
ENTER: 99.60
Science/Engineering @ Monash; Mat'ls Eng; Chem, Physiology?

nak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 03:16:39 am »
im stuck between civil and electrical.. civil = good job opporunities  but electrical will be fun but hard studying..
im not really sure what each really are..

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 03:32:54 am »
Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction and maintenance of the physical and natural built environment, including works such as bridges, roads, canals, dams and buildings.

Careers

There is no one typical career path for civil engineers. Most engineering graduates start with jobs of low responsibility, and as they prove their competence, are given more and more responsible tasks, but within each subfield of civil engineering, and even within different segments of the market within each branch, the details of a career path can vary. In some fields and in some firms, entry-level engineers are put to work primarily monitoring construction in the field, serving as the "eyes and ears" of more senior design engineers; while in other areas, entry-level engineers end up performing the more routine tasks of analysis or design and interpretation. More senior engineers can move into doing more complex analysis or design work, or management of more complex design projects, or management of other engineers, or into specialized consulting, including forensic engineering.

Engineers are in high demand at banks, financial institutions and management consultancies because of their analytical skills.

Electrical engineering — sometimes referred to as electrical and electronic engineering — is an engineering field that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics and electromagnetism. The field first became an identifiable occupation in the late nineteenth century after commercialization of the electric telegraph and electrical power supply. The field now covers a range of sub-studies including power, electronics, control systems, signal processing and telecommunications.

I guess it is hard to conceive which one you will like without knowing the sort of maths and physics involved with them. All engineers will require a common base of applied mathematics, and in the University of Melbourne, all streams of engineering have a streamlined maths course for the first 2 years.

Physics-wise, I believe electrical engineering will focus largely on the core concepts of electro-magnetism, and probably a brief knowledge of materials is required to know about conductivity, and resistance losses. This means that study of heat flows would probably be required as well. In civil engineering, I suspect the concepts you learn will be mainly Newtonian mechanics, with study focused on material strength: density, tensile strength, etc.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 02:14:14 pm »
I'm not sure how stable the IT industry is, since most employers prefer to outsource their jobs. I'm not sure if the same applies for software engineering though.

And with chemical engineering, you could get into all sorts of fun industries, like cosmetics, plastics and petroleum. If you're interested in aerospace, you'd be working on the more exciting parts: composite materials, temperature resistant panels, etc. Flight trajectories would get boring after a while :P

Ridiculously stable. They don't hand out a whole load of (in my course alone, 28 of them) huge scholarships to Bus. Sys. (and now CS/SE @ Monash as well) students for nothing...the demand is extremely high, yet supply of graduates is very low in IT atm.

http://infotech.monash.edu.au/courses/2008/undergraduate/2770/ibl-stream.html

Outsourcing tends to happen for entry level jobs (data entry, helpdesk etc)...even then, companies have started to realise that it's better to insource them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:17:38 pm by Excalibur »
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

kido_1

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 11:36:57 am »
Aerospace sounds pro.
oping for an ENTER of 99+

Umesh

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 05:27:48 pm »
civil for the win! If i dont get above 98 ill probably go Melbourne Uni for Engineering, from what i understand after talkin to a rep from Engineering Australia, it doesn't necessarily matter what uni, jus as long as u have good results and willin to work etc.. all that stuff

Flaming_Arrow

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 09:20:01 pm »
software engineering ftw  :D
2010: Commerce @ UoM

Flaming_Arrow

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 04:07:54 pm »
ok i take it back

electrical engineering ftw!

ell

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 07:08:31 pm »
social engineering for me

Flaming_Arrow

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 07:39:37 pm »
electrical engineering might be too hard :s

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 09:14:30 pm »
My Dad is a mechanical engineer, and everyday he comes home more depressed than ever. I bet he is enjoying the money though. :P

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2008, 09:16:01 pm »
do you know why? is it boring? lol
Monash University
Science/Engineering (Maths, Physics and Electrical Engineering)

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2008, 09:24:24 pm »
Lol, I don't think it's boring. I just think that because my dad has been in the business for years that it has heavily impacted on him. I can guarantee you, when he started, he loved being an engineer, but over time, I guess like other things, he has become too familiar with it, and hence, becomes depressed from it.

But don't let this discourage you. :)