Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 11:52:05 am

Poll

Engineering - Which type do you want to do?

Aerospace
Chemical
Civil
Computer systems/Software
Mechanical
Electrical
Biomedical
Materials Engineering

Author Topic: Engineering - Which type do you want to do?  (Read 9355 times)  Share 

Flaming_Arrow

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +16
Re: Engineering - Which type do you want to do?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2008, 09:42:02 pm »
mechanical , civil or electrical?
2010: Commerce @ UoM

tim2541

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:50 pm »
mechanical , civil or electrical?

lol same here, i know that i want to do at least one of them but im still not sure which. from what i heard so far they all have a high employee rate which is good but i heard electrical apparently is really hard in years 3 + 4? :S

any suggestions as to which is best?

TonyHem

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 01:34:45 pm »
Can someone who has/is doing aerospace eng give an opinion on how they find it, similar to what they expected etc?
Thanks

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 12:30:03 pm »
My Dad is a mechanical engineer, and everyday he comes home more depressed than ever. I bet he is enjoying the money though. :P

Sorry to revive this thread, but after 1 year of engineering I became depressed. It really is like physics/maths with the fun cut out!

It's actually quite common for eng students (particularly electrical) to drop out and major in maths, physics or mathematical physics. This year I spoke to a physics PhD student and before physics he was doing electrical engineering and said it's all just debugging, etc.

Basically to work out whether you are a scientist or an engineer, you need to experience both. Nobody but you can tell you whether you are either an engineer or scientist.

But if you like studying concepts because you want to know why something is the way it is, you are probably a scientist. If you like studying concepts in science so you could use this to improve something you want to design, then your an engineer.

As a rule, engineers hate theory and love practical work, whereas scientists are the opposite.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design