Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:27:37 pm

Author Topic: studying for the gat  (Read 17839 times)

Fishyiscool

• Custom1
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
  • School: I shouldnt say.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
studying for the gat
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:57 pm »
There is probably already 12098134098325 threads on this but I don't really have a lot of time to spend searching for one right now ...

Should I study for the gat? last year, as a crazy motivated year 11, I did, but i'm sure it didn't really make much difference.
I'm soooo tempted to wing it since it's the only exam that I may be able to get away with winging.

Are you/ did you study for the gat? I've got more than enough study to do for chem anyhow.
Happy enough after one hell of a year.

<3 Life goal: ---->  Prosthetics and Orthotics
2013 - bachelor of health sciences/master of clinical prosthetics and orthotics at La trobe :))

Mi piacerebbe aiutare gli altri studenti che studiano l'italiano quest' anno. Mi mandi un messaggio e possiamo chiacchierare x)

Destiny

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
  • School: The Time Lord Academy.
Re: studying for the gat
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:35 pm »
+1
No clue. I studied in year 11 too, but how do we know what we're studying for? :/

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:01:14 pm »
+2
Don't study for it -_-

Quote from: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/exams/gat/aboutgat.html
Each represents a body of general knowledge and skills that students are likely to have built up through their school years.

Because it is a general test, no special study is required for the GAT.

Destiny

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:01:48 pm »
I think it matters.
I ended up getting the same score for Math and Bio once they were scaled as the math/science component of the GAT.  That is some weird freak of nature.
I'm not going to study for the UMAT (who cares, I'm going to fail it anyway. I'm not medicine material), but the GAT... seems to matter.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:04:01 pm by Destiny »

ecvkcuf

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:55 pm »
You can't really study for it.. is it called a general achievement which is supposed to test what you have learnt through the years of your schooling..

it does matter, AFAIK it's a good backup to have if an unfortunate accident happens and you are unable to sit the exams - it apparently gives an indication of how you could have gone on the exam.. but I may be wrong but this is what I was told.

Destiny

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:04:45 pm »
+1
When I studied last year and practiced it, I got progressively better scores... :/ And progressively better timing.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:55 pm »
+12
Don't study for it -_-

Quote from: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/exams/gat/aboutgat.html
Each represents a body of general knowledge and skills that students are likely to have built up through their school years.

Because it is a general test, no special study is required for the GAT.

ACER says that too for the UMAT, go figure haha :P

But seriously, you're better spending your time ripping pages out of a physics textbook and throwing them at people at random imo. Much more productive (and fun).

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +96
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:14:41 pm »
For 2011, I did the 2010 GAT the night before the actual GAT. It helped; maybe it didn't do wonders compared to doing say 20 exams for a particular subject but it put my mind in the right place at the right time so it wasn't a complete surprise.
Science, Melbourne University.

Eddiee

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:15:19 pm »
Don't waste time that can be spent preparing for your mid-years but become familiar with the format of the test (no need since you've done it last year)

We're having a trial GAT at my school tomorrow afternoon... *sigh*

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »
But hey, if you're super keen about it, I'll share a secret GAT resource with you all :D No questions about how I got my hands on it.

Enjoy and do not study hard for it!

Destiny

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 09:30:49 pm »
Ahh, I have all the past past GATs (well, all but 1998).  Anyone want me to upload them?

KevinooBz

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 09:38:58 pm »
+1
I think 10 GAT papers on the VCAA site is enough to get a general feel of the test. Unless you think attempting more questions will improve your score.

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 09:46:28 pm »
You don't need to study for the GAT (I don't think you even can since the Q's are based on stimulus material which you'll only see once you open the GAT question book, it's not like general knowledge questions that you can study beforehand).

My year 12 GAT scores were better than the year 11 ones - ; I didn't study for them but I did check out how the GAT questions were going to be structured/ the layout of the English stimuli for the writing pieces. You can practice or brainstorm different ways of approaching the writing pieces. E.g. you might have a certain form you'd want to write in for writing piece 1 (e.g. creative) so you could practice that form with maybe 1 or 2 of the past GAT papers. Writing well in the GAT (or having a clear knowledge of what form you're going to write in) would probably be more important than randomly "studying" past questions :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:50:53 pm by yearningforsimplicity »
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

Nintendo6T4

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • I'm waterlogged 'cause I cry at the drop of a mark
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Monash University
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 09:50:39 pm »
+1
But hey, if you're super keen about it, I'll share a secret GAT resource with you all :D No questions about how I got my hands on it.

Solutions? :P
I always look a little lost.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 09:58:05 pm »

Solutions? :P

Thanks for volunteering to write them up :) Much appreciated mate :)