Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:38:29 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Commerce?  (Read 14033 times)  Share 

siddhartharora

Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Commerce?
« on: June 23, 2012, 01:07:53 pm »
Hey guys..

I was going through some university websites, particularly Monash University and my original aim was to do Bachelor of Commerce, but all universities ask for Methods (which I'm not doing), although Bachelor of Business (Major in Accounting) seems like an option for me. What is the difference between the two?

I'm aiming to become an Accountant, and after completing the Bachelor of Business Degree, enrol into the CPA Program.

Any tips or info about the difference between the two degrees or any other accredited degrees that may be suitable?

Cheers

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
Re: Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Commerce?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 06:21:27 pm »
+1
I have no idea about the difference between the two, if you're aiming to be  an accountant was long as you do the right subjects, it shouldn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

In regards to wanting to get your CPA, if you're planning to be an accountant, a CA is significantly more prestigious title than CPA, just something to think about...

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 06:52:12 pm »
+1
I’m doing a Bachelor of Business double degree majoring in Accounting and Banking and Finance at Monash University. The two courses aren’t too dissimilar; as the units you take in BBus are very similar to that of BComm. The main difference, if anything, is just the name/prestige. For example, I took AFF1000 this semester (Principles of accounting and finance), which is offered in BComm at Clayton under a different unit code: AFC1000. The majority of the content taught is exactly the same. As tram said, as long as you choose the right units for accreditation - it doesn’t really matter. This may give you a clearer idea of the units on offer in BBus and which ones you need to undertake to gain accreditation for CPA.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:50:47 pm »
Look... honestly... BBus is considered inferior to BComm.
In saying that though, BBus @ Monash is probably the best degree you can do without having done Methods.

BBus is at Caulfield, which is a painfully boring campus.

You should consider aiming for CA, not CPA.
CA is a much more prestigious and respected accredition, and is recognised internationally.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

siddhartharora

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 03:08:03 pm »
WOW! You guys are so helpful! Literally, I've been stressing over the week despite being in Year 11 because of Methods. But it's good to know the Bachelor of Business is a good degree, so I will aim for that at Monash. Do you guys have any review for the Clayton Campus? :)

siddhartharora

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 03:11:53 pm »
Also, by doing the Bachelor of Business at Monash, will I be eligible to enrol in the CA Program?

Tragesty

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Wheelers Hill Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 03:56:31 pm »
epl posted an informative link above that had information about Bachelor of Business, and at the bottom it outlines what you need to take in the course (which units I guess?) to qualify to try for CA or CPA (I think).

I'm aiming for BCommerce but likely not gonna get the 91 so here's hoping I get into BBus!  ;)

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 08:15:39 pm »
Also, by doing the Bachelor of Business at Monash, will I be eligible to enrol in the CA Program?

Yes, if you do the right units. According to this, you need to complete these units to be eligible for the CA program:

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 08:26:36 pm »
Commerce at Deakin, Accounting at RMIT and Commerce at Swinburne also do not need Methods, so take a look at them too.