Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:32:10 pm

Author Topic: 'Clean balls' Lynx Commercial Sexist?  (Read 5750 times)  Share 

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
Re: 'Clean balls' Lynx Commercial Sexist?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:16:43 pm »
LOOK AT ME I MADE A DOUBLE ENTENDRE I'M SO FUNNY

Now you're aware that a group of grown adults sat around, scripted and screenplayed this ad.

OT: Lynx's usual objectification of women and depiction of men as mouthbreathing troglodytes isn't as rampant in this ad. Though it says a lot about its target audience
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:19:57 pm by JellyDonut »
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:19:23 pm »
I honestly don't think it's sexist, people generally complain about everything, and these days even the littlest things can generate controversy, I reckon people should just get over it, the ad was witty, but it doesn't really do anything to suggest sexism.

remo14

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:24:39 pm »
It's just eerie how this company holds two opposing views. They use sexual advertising for the male products and 'like who you are' mentality for females. Is this smart advertising or does it have ulterior motives?

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:37:05 pm »
unilever isn't exactly known for possessing moral integrity
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 11:38:48 pm »
How is it eerie?

The point of advertising is to sell a product, and they will push the limits of what they are allowed to do to sell a product, I find that understandable. Thus, it is understandable that they would target specific audiences by the way they advertise. On that note, I don't think this advertising is sexual, it's witty, but it's not outright sexual. What makes you say that?

What ulterior motives may you be thinking of?

JellyDonut, how does this have anything to do with moral integrity? Are you saying that this ad is immoral?

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 11:42:40 pm »
They'll peddle any sort of bullshit to sell their products. Probably ethical is a better word

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 11:48:00 pm »
Idk about sexism, but I thought the advertisement was shit.
The ganga isn't even hot.
BAD LYNX, BAD.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 11:49:13 pm »
They'll peddle any sort of bullshit to sell their products. Probably ethical is a better word

Could you elaborate? I think the advertisment was reasonable, I found it quite funny and my few friends and I had a bit of a laugh about it, and yes, they were girls.

The ganga isn't even hot.

Hahahahah, LOOOOOL! :D trueeee ;P

remo14

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 11:51:28 pm »
There technically not advertising the product but use 'humour' to induce readers into purchasing. Nowadays its about drawing viewers in even if this does not involve the product itself.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 11:53:30 pm »
There technically not advertising the product but use 'humour' to induce readers into purchasing. Nowadays its about drawing viewers in even if this does not involve the product itself.

Of course - it's about selling the product. It's an ad, not an information show, its only purpose is to tell you to buy the product. If you want to find out more about the product, you should research it on the internet or via other sources. Inducing viewers into purchasing is exactly what they want to do.

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:58:36 pm »
The article already did a good job at pointing out their shifting positions on various products. They'll take up any position if it gathers more sales. I'm sure Unilever bought into the mayo industry because they believed in the importance of good quality mayo.

remo14

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 12:05:31 am »
Thanks everyone for today's discussion I was attempting to see if I would have been a good lawyer or not. Sticking with med.

Final Onslaught

These ads are simply aimed at emotion and if viewed by children could induce a very simplistic attitude towards life. They are not only selling a product but implicitly bringing in sexual matters with anything they can. Simply they are following the sex sells mentality. Do we want these ads to continue to smudge television? People should have a choice if they want to witness a sexual joke or not. They should not be forced into the awkward position through their child questioning "mummy what are balls?".

remo14

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 12:08:58 am »
We must separate the facts from the fancy and cannot let outside matters delude people from the real product

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 12:45:49 am »
The article already did a good job at pointing out their shifting positions on various products. They'll take up any position if it gathers more sales. I'm sure Unilever bought into the mayo industry because they believed in the importance of good quality mayo.

They're a business, they buy into the mayo industry because they saw that it was a good opportunity to make money. And exactly, businesses are about sales, it's about profit and it's about the money, otherwise people won't be drawn into enterpreneurship and other business ventures. It's a capitalist world.

These ads are simply aimed at emotion and if viewed by children could induce a very simplistic attitude towards life. They are not only selling a product but implicitly bringing in sexual matters with anything they can. Simply they are following the sex sells mentality. Do we want these ads to continue to smudge television? People should have a choice if they want to witness a sexual joke or not. They should not be forced into the awkward position through their child questioning "mummy what are balls?".

I disagree, I think it was just a funny joke - you're taking a serious view towards something which wasn't designed to be taken seriously. What is this sex cells mentality you speak of? And no, if you're looking at smudging television, there are many other things which smudge television just as much if not more, so by your slippery slope, we should ban all violence from television, all graphic scenes, all mentions of rape, all mentions of crime...etc? No, that's not the right thing to do.

We must separate the facts from the fancy and cannot let outside matters delude people from the real product

I've said it time and time again, they're a business, ads are not mean to provide you with facts, they are meant to entice you into buying a particular product.