Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:11:21 am

Author Topic: 'Clean balls' Lynx Commercial Sexist?  (Read 5751 times)  Share 

Truck

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +122
  • School: who needs school when you got SWAG?
Re: 'Clean balls' Lynx Commercial Sexist?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 01:49:20 am »
Ethically contentious, but a funny advertisement... not seeing where the sexism lies?
#yolo #thuglife #swaggotandproud

Inspirations: Mahtama Ghandi, T-Pain, The Caped Crusader and Ayn Rand.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 10:59:56 am »
The point of advertising is to sell a product, and they will push the limits of what they are allowed to do to sell a product, I find that understandable. Thus, it is understandable that they would target specific audiences by the way they advertise. On that note, I don't think this advertising is sexual, it's witty, but it's not outright sexual. What makes you say that?

In what world is this advert not sexually charged and filled with (bad) sexual metaphors. The lack of nudity doesn't mean it's not 'sexual'

I disagree, I think it was just a funny joke - you're taking a serious view towards something which wasn't designed to be taken seriously. What is this sex cells mentality you speak of? And no, if you're looking at smudging television, there are many other things which smudge television just as much if not more, so by your slippery slope, we should ban all violence from television, all graphic scenes, all mentions of rape, all mentions of crime...etc? No, that's not the right thing to do.

Rubbish. We can show sex on TV without objectifying women. We can discuss murder without glorifying it. The only reason this ad exists is because Lynx/Unilever know that men will buy a product based on outdated representations of women and self aggrandizing imagery, which is the whole "sex sells" thing. I'm happy enough to laugh at it, but it's a terrible ad and shouldn't be marketed by a multinational

Although I do agree with JellyDonut that this is actually relatively better than what they've put out before
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:01:41 am by Baby Spice »

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 11:11:53 am »
In what world is this advert not sexually charged and filled with (bad) sexual metaphors. The lack of nudity doesn't mean it's not 'sexual'

Rubbish. We can show sex on TV without objectifying women. We can discuss murder without glorifying it. The only reason this ad exists is because Lynx/Unilever know that men will buy a product based on outdated representations of women and self aggrandizing imagery, which is the whole "sex sells" thing. I'm happy enough to laugh at it, but it's a terrible ad and shouldn't be marketed by a multinational

Although I do agree with JellyDonut that this is actually relatively better than what they've put out before

It's sexually charged, and yeah, the metaphors, you're right on that one.

I don't think it objectifies women though, that's a pretty big call. You're right, sex sells, but I don't see how this ad objectifies women. Whether it's a terrible ad or not, sigh, well, the fact that a multinational puts it out, they would have done research and expect it to sell their product.

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 11:40:39 am »
Playing Devil's Advocate here - it's the effect on people that is important. Does the ad entice men to believe that women are sex objects, or does the ad pay out the stereotype itself to incite humour? I'd say it depends on what men's attitudes are towards women prior to the ad. Do men sincerely or subconsciously see women as sex objects and actually believe the stereotype? If that's the case, then the ad will have the effect of further cementing and perpetuating the stereotype, and that's the negative effect people are worried about. What if men already know that the notion of women's supposed role as sex objects is simply a stereotype and is not true? Then they will see the humour in it, laugh, but they will be aware that the stereotype is not true - they will be laughing at the stereotype, not at the women.

Your thoughts?
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 12:06:47 pm »
I agree with thushan, I don't think the ad is enticing men to believe that women are sex objects at all, it's just inciting humour.

But yeah, well said, especially with the relation to what men's attitudes to women were prior to the ad.

When I saw the ad, the knee-jerk reaction was "Oh shit, I gotta get Lynx or else I won't get in with the chicks! :O"- jokingly of course ;D

yellowsone31

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Retro glamour. Old Hollywood. The fame.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 07:46:26 pm »
Nothing wrong with it. People are just good at making a big deal out of nothing these days... :D

yellowsone31

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Retro glamour. Old Hollywood. The fame.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 07:47:09 pm »
Now the lynx "rules of the game" ad is definitely objectifying women XD

LOL hell yeah they are :D

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 08:35:46 pm »
I reckon it was obviousl that the ad was intended for men!
And perhaps lynx marketing group thought that this extended metaphor would be a funny and humorous approach for targeting its audience!

just my 2 cents!
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga