Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:48:12 pm

Author Topic: Engineering Options  (Read 2852 times)  Share 

spongebob-7

Engineering Options
« on: June 24, 2012, 05:06:08 pm »
Hey Guys,
i really want to do engineering as im good at math and like problem solving.But I'm not sure if i am able to get the atar to get into monash, looking to get around 80-85, im not exactly sure what branch i want to study in but it will be most likely be chemical or mechanical. Here are my options i have come up with so far:
- Do Engineering and possibly management at RMIT
- Do science at monash and try to transfer to engineering next semester
- Do science at melbourne and then do a masters of engineering

Some Questions i Have:
What do you think would be the best option? (Moving out of Home so travel is not a issue)
Is Monash a lot better than RMIT ?
Is it too risky to try and transfer from science to engineering at monash ?
Also are the a lot of advantages for doing masters of engineering or do people find it easy to get jobs just with their undergrad degrees.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated

Cheers,

linle

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Re: Engineering Options
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:47:23 pm »
I'm under the old model at Melbourne doing chemical.
I have friends who are doing the 3+2 years.
We only have a few different subjects but science has more breadth.
Remember that you do need an average of 65 for the undergrad degree to
be able to do a masters. Check the handbook or on the uni website though.
Things do change.
Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical & Biomolecular) @ The University of Melbourne

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:53:43 pm »
Here are my answers...

1. Monash is a lot better than RMIT, reputation & academic wise, since it's a Go8 Uni.
2. I don't think it's that risky to transfer from sci. to eng. All you need to do it get a decent score in science to transfer to Eng. (probably a 70 or above will get you in).
3. I wouldn't know about any masters, but should you want to do a masters degree, I gotta say, better for you to go to UoM, rather than Monash. Having said that, there's quite a huge demand for engineers in Australia. In my opinion, an undergrad with a lot of work experience in engineering firms will quite comfortably get a job.

Hope it helps, good luck with your studies. And seriously, don't limit yourself to an 80 - 85. If you work hard, you can get a 90+ ATAR.
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:18:18 pm »
...im not exactly sure what branch i want to study in but it will be most likely be chemical or mechanical. Here are my options i have come up with so far:
If you aren't sure, at Monash the first year is a common year for engineering, that is you get to try a bit of everything then decide at the end of the first year what you want to do (unless its Aerospace, Mechatronics or environmental, those ones you need to get into straight off).

Hope it helps, good luck with your studies. And seriously, don't limit yourself to an 80 - 85. If you work hard, you can get a 90+ ATAR.
+1, the years not over yet, if you put the effort in then you may be able to get the required score. Give it your best shot, and if it doesn't happen then have your backup plan :)
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 08:19:54 pm »
If you are unsure, then the BSc + MEng at UoM might be the one for you, you get three more years to make up your mind. Flip side is you might not get into MEng.

I'd say go for Monash, if you don't get in then go for RMIT or Swinburne, both of which are respectable institutions for Engineering, but keep the UoM option as a side, I wouldn't recommend it unless you got guaranteed entry.

spongebob-7

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 09:43:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys ;D, yeh ill deffs try hard as to get into monash, just one more question if i dont get into monash but am able to do science at melbourne does anyone know the score or GPA needed to get me into a masters of engineering