Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 11:29:58 am

Author Topic: bachelor of med/surgery/law  (Read 3298 times)  Share 

????

bachelor of med/surgery/law
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:01:59 pm »
What requirements are needed for this course. I love both science and English so these two would be an awesome amalgam. Also what job prospects are there?

P.S been preparing for UMAT a lot so got that covered if all goes well on the day.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: bachelor of med/surgery/law
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:03:17 pm »
You want to do all 3?

It's do-able at Monash http://www.med.monash.edu.au/medical/central/combined.html. Note that this isn't a course you apply through VTAC, you must be in the Monash MBBS and then apply from there later in the course. There is also an additional interview, and as the professor at the Open Day said: "The interview is there so we can check the sanity of the applicant" :P

But you're pretty crazy if you want to it though haha, it's incredibly hard :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:07:53 pm by VegemitePi »

KevinooBz

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 10:05:58 pm »
What would the ATAR requirement be like?

????

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:12:15 pm »
Students who are selected for this program will be required to overload by a minimum of one 6 point credit unit per year, with the duration of the program taking 7 years full time study.

What does he mean by overload?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 10:15:36 pm »
What would the ATAR requirement be like?

Well, you get into med first (so ATAR+UMAT+interview) as normal. Only once you are in the course (I think second year) can you decide to apply to do LLB too. So no ATAR requirement for that as you choose whilst in uni :)

What does he mean by overload?

It means you do more units than normal, that's why it's super tough as med units by themselves are incredibly difficult and so are law units. Doing both at the same time is a huge increase in workload imo. It's much more work than a Law/Engi major for example (as the MBBS is technically a double degree by itself).

????

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 10:23:11 pm »
sounds like a challenge. First goal then is to get into MBBS. On another note if you get like 90% for each section on the UMAT would they let you straight into the course? 

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:29:12 pm »
+1
sounds like a challenge. First goal then is to get into MBBS. On another note if you get like 90% for each section on the UMAT would they let you straight into the course? 

I think a "challenge" is a gross understatement :P

No, you need to pass the interview and have a sufficient ATAR. They use all three, not just one. Although having a very good UMAT obviously helps in that calculation.

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:39:58 pm »
+4
Overload law units PLUS med? Good luck. I hope you don't plan on having much of the social life for the next 8 years :\
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 01:36:18 am »
+1
The question is why you would want to. You are either going to be a doctor, or work in a law firm / commerce-type industry. I don't think that many prospective law firms would really think it of it as an added bonus if you went through med school, similarly, a doctor who has a law degree is still employed as a doctor in a hospital. What's your endgame / career goal?
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

Romperait

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 10:55:36 am »

Even if you got full marks on each section on the UMAT, you wouldn't be let straight into the course.

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 12:20:48 pm »
Re: job prospects, there are very little (if any) career paths in law that would look favourably upon a med degree. You won't be disadvantaged, of course (except that you will lack the experience that your fellow law students will have, because while they're out getting internships you're still stuck at uni in your med degree), but your resume won't be any more attractive.

Unless you were going for an extremely niche job (I don't even know, maybe in-house lawyer for a hospital? Even then, your med degree will be next to useless. I honestly cannot think of any examples), you're frankly wasting your time and money. And for what? Bragging rights?

The only time I can see a law degree being useful to a doctor is if you were sued for malpractice, and generally lawyers are discouraged from representing themselves anyway.

Also, if you like English then do arts majoring in English. Being good at/interested in English has no correlation with success/interest in law.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:22:40 pm by ninwa »
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 12:32:33 pm »
Also, if you like English then do arts majoring in English. Being good at/interested in English has no correlation with success/interest in law.

Agree, if you like English, you can take a Diploma of Arts on top of your med degree, which doesn't add any time, although you will be forced to overload.

You can major in English, Linguistics, Sociology...etc. (basically all the Arts majors)

Btw, there are people who do Med/Law and I reckon there probably would be some place that might need that, I don't know where - but I think one of my friend's brother is in Med/Law :P

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 11:22:25 pm »
+5
My understanding is that Med/Law is used mainly in medical litigation, i.e. sueing other doctors. Damn traitors.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70