Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:00:35 am

Author Topic: Where to go for dentistry  (Read 3683 times)  Share 

alexa94

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
Where to go for dentistry
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »
Hey guys, first post. Basically, I have always been and am still only set on studying undergrad dentistry next year. I feel I did well on the umat so I'm fairly hopeful of getting an offer for at least one dental school. However, the only 2 unis I really have my sights set on are Adelaide and La Trobe (i know it will be extremely difficult to get into this year due to the mixup, but one can hope...) qld is a bit far for me, not sure if i'd like it and didn't apply/am not going to apply for CSU. So, which one would you choose and why, hypothetically if you got into both? Feel free to offer opinions even if you're not interested in studying dentistry.

I guess the Adelaide course is more prestigious and established and is in the city (although I've never been to Adelaide), whereas La Trobe is a lot closer to home (it's in the Bendigo campus for those who don't know).

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Where to go for dentistry
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:11:22 pm »
Hey guys, first post. Basically, I have always been and am still only set on studying undergrad dentistry next year. I feel I did well on the umat so I'm fairly hopeful of getting an offer for at least one dental school. However, the only 2 unis I really have my sights set on are Adelaide and La Trobe (i know it will be extremely difficult to get into this year due to the mixup, but one can hope...) qld is a bit far for me, not sure if i'd like it and didn't apply/am not going to apply for CSU. So, which one would you choose and why, hypothetically if you got into both? Feel free to offer opinions even if you're not interested in studying dentistry.

I guess the Adelaide course is more prestigious and established and is in the city (although I've never been to Adelaide), whereas La Trobe is a lot closer to home (it's in the Bendigo campus for those who don't know).

latrobe is closer than adelaide
and in case you dont get into undergrad, theres always UoM pathway :)
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

kenhung123

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 06:38:48 pm »
Why is QLD far compared to Adelaide? You need to live away from home regardless

alexa94

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:57 pm »

latrobe is closer than adelaide
and in case you dont get into undergrad, theres always UoM pathway :)
mm true, so what you are saying is that you would base your decision on proximity to melbourne?

Why is QLD far compared to Adelaide? You need to live away from home regardless
Fair point but I've been looking up transport options and there are buses to and from melbourne to adelaide which are much cheaper than flying. My family can't really support frequent trips between two cities, not for 5 years anyway. That being said, QLD is not completely off the radar but I'm fairly set on the 2 unis i mentioned :)

kenhung123

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 07:04:04 pm »
It really depends as to whether you really want/need to go home on the weekends. Of course if you are in Adelaide, you cannot do that time and cost wise. But yeah, I think I would go La trobe>Adelaide for the family thing.

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Determined to score a 50 in English.
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 07:36:27 pm »
Well as you said, La Trobe will be especially difficult to get into considering the fact that I think 'BoredSaint' said something like they're only taking in 4-5 metro kids next year because of a mixup.

If you can't afford frequent trips back and forth, you could always get a job to work atleast a couple of hours a week which should be enough to fund a bus trip back home even monthly maybe.

It will be a big commitment to make, being away from your family (although you can still see them) but I think it will be worth it in the long-run.
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.

alexa94

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:55:04 pm »
Thanks for your input guys. Well I think hypothetically if I got an offer for both, I would settle on La Trobe, simply because I don't see much point in going to Adelaide. It's a big commitment to make moving cities, and there doesn't really seem to be a reason for it, especially when I could go back home regularly. Of course, though, that is all on the off chance that I smash my atar to get into La Trobe. Anyone else have an opinion as to what they would choose and why?

kenhung123

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 08:36:19 pm »
Tbh, the only reason you would go to Adelaide is if you believe it is a better university providing you with better dental education and perhaps better employment. Although this is very controversial and lots of people say it doesn't matter which university you graduate from for dentistry.

alexa94

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 08:47:13 pm »
Tbh, the only reason you would go to Adelaide is if you believe it is a better university providing you with better dental education and perhaps better employment. Although this is very controversial and lots of people say it doesn't matter which university you graduate from for dentistry.
Yeah, I've heard exactly the same - I think people who like to have a go at La Trobe's dental school simply because it is new either have an elitist mentality or are just poorly misinformed. I mean, I have heard that when the new course was introduced lecturers from the Melbourne Uni undergrad course were brought over, as well as the fact that all dent school in Aus are regulated before they are implemented. So essentially, what you get out of each dent school after 5 years is more or less the same.

kenhung123

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:17:58 pm »
When it wasn't yet accredited I guess it is good to have that precaution but since now La trobe is 100% accredited, it definitely is not an issue. You are correct in saying that accredited dental schools all need to meet the same standards.

Tomw2

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +29
  • School: Melbourne High School
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:41:45 am »
My only consideration would be the fact that the Adelaide dental school is closely associated with a major dental hospital whereas LaTrobe clinical training largely takes place in small clinics over a wide rural/regional area.

2012-2015 | Doctor of Dental Surgery, University of Melbourne
2012-2015 | Master of Public Health, University of Sydney (part-time)
2012-2012 | Grad Dip Careers Education & Development, RMIT University
2005-2011 | Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science (Hons), Monash University

alexa94

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 03:02:46 pm »
mm friends in adelaide have told me about the dent hospital, but to be completely honest i'm not worried about the teaching; i am pretty certain if i got into dent anywhere in australia i would get a great education. it's more the fact that i'm going to be living somewhere for 5 years, so that is the main consideration for me

anyone know what the actual city of adelaide is like? i've heard it's quite dull tbh lol (no offence to anyone from adelaide)

Tomw2

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +29
  • School: Melbourne High School
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 04:47:48 pm »
+1
mm friends in adelaide have told me about the dent hospital, but to be completely honest i'm not worried about the teaching; i am pretty certain if i got into dent anywhere in australia i would get a great education. it's more the fact that i'm going to be living somewhere for 5 years, so that is the main consideration for me

Of course, but my comment was about the setting/location of the education, not the quality of teaching.

I personally would not be keen on the decentralised clinical training (and needing to frequently travel across regions), so would prefer to study predominantly in a metro dental hospital, with limited travel required from that central location. Just a preference, and something people should consider.

On the other hand I know people at LaTrobe who specifically chose the course for that very reason and are very keen to get the valuable experience in a range of regional/rural settings.

2012-2015 | Doctor of Dental Surgery, University of Melbourne
2012-2015 | Master of Public Health, University of Sydney (part-time)
2012-2012 | Grad Dip Careers Education & Development, RMIT University
2005-2011 | Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science (Hons), Monash University