Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:11:09 am

Author Topic: Bachelor of Business (BBus) at Monash University  (Read 19925 times)  Share 

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
Bachelor of Business (BBus) at Monash University
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:02:06 pm »
+19
I decided to make this informational thread for those considering this course in 2013 and beyond. The Bachelor of Business degree is offered at the Berwick, Caulfield and Peninsula campuses. For the purposes of this thread, we will focus on the Caulfield campus.

The table above shows the indicative ATAR scores for the BBus degree at the various campuses at Monash University. Note, the ATAR scores for specific degrees such as BBus (Acc), BBus(Mgt)/BBus(Mkt) etc. offered at the Caulfield campus are a bit higher because your majors are already selected upon gaining entry into the course, whereas BBus is just a general degree.

The six compulsory core units you undertake in first-year BBus, regardless of your majors at Monash University, are as follows:

• AFF1000: Principles of accounting and finance
  • BTF1010: Commercial law
  • ECF1100: Microeconomics
  • ETX1100: Business statistics
  • MGF1010: Introduction to management
  • MKF1120: Marketing theory and practice

You also study another two units in first-year; they can be elective units (units you can do from other faculties) or units which are needed to be completed if you have chosen to major in Marketing and Management, for example. This is the same throughout all three campuses - just with slight variations in the unit codes.

Why choose BBus at Monash University?

The most common reason many students do the BBus degree is that in high school they didn’t do Mathematical Methods (CAS) which is a pre-requisite for BComm (Bachelor of Commerce) at most Victorian universities, however they have a keen interest in commerce/business. Either that or their ATAR score didn’t meet the requirements for BComm.

Workload for BBus?

As with many commerce/business students, the contact hours are quite low. It is about 12 hours per week generally-speaking, with 2-hour lectures and 1-hour tutorials in first-year. Your timetable would be quite flexible as you can choose to do 2 days a week at uni or spread your units out. You study four units a semester and note, there are exam hurdle requirements for all BusEco units. This means you need to get above a certain mark on the final exam to pass the unit - you will fail the unit and have to re-take it if you don’t meet the exam hurdle requirement (i.e. 50%), even if you do extremely well on all your assignments etc. throughout the semester.

What is Caulfield like?

The Caulfield campus has fewer clubs and holds fewer students on campus in comparison to the Clayton campus. This doesn’t mean Caulfield is a bad place to study at though! It is in a convenient location as the Caulfield railway station is right outside the campus, and there are trams which run to the city - as well as connecting buses. There are also a variety of clubs/societies such as BCSS, MFA, C.A.S, MMSS which are well worth joining. The link below highlights the various clubs and societies on campus:

MONSU Caulfield - Club listing.

The majority of students at the Caulfield campus are doing the Bachelor of Business degree, so you won’t feel out of place. The rest are made up of Arts and Health science students. There are a lot of international students studying at Caulfield too, which means you’ll have the opportunity to meet a lot of people from different and diverse backgrounds.

Downsides to Caulfield?

The biggest downside to studying at Caulfield is that it is seen as a boring and lacklustre place to study at because of the less vibrant atmosphere. I would partially agree with this at times. However, if you immerse yourself in university life, especially in your first year - you will find this not to be the case.

BBus v. BComm?

This is arguably the question which gets asked the most. I have quoted what I said recently in another thread, as well as what shinny said.

EDIT: If you're looking ahead, BComm is favoured by the larger firms over BBus - but that shouldn't discourage you from keeping BBus as a viable option.

Just answered your question. That said, if you had a BBus student averaging HDs and a BComm student averaging Cs, I think you'd take the first option and vice versa. The stigma attached with doing BBus as opposed to BComm can hurt your employment chances, undeniably so, but it is never just the degree itself which you come out with that defines whether you get the job or not.

That's not to say it can't be overcome. My friend who went into BBus ended up beating the majority of my commerce friends (some of who are unemployed) and got into Ernst and Young. He had interviews for other Big 4 firms as well. My understanding is that the degree is just a part of a much much larger process. You might lose a point there, but there's plenty more to be gained elsewhere.

The Bachelor of Business degree isn’t a dead-end in terms of job prospects. If you maintain a high standard of grades throughout your degree and involve yourself in extracurricular activities such as becoming a committee member of a club, taking up volunteer opportunities etc. - getting employed won’t be too difficult.

If you want to get the most out of your degree, join clubs and societies to make new friends. O-week is a great chance to join various clubs and societies as well as to get a feel for the campus itself. Networking with others, especially at the corporate functions held throughout the year, is an invaluable tool as it is very much useful in the area of business and commerce.

tl;dr: MONSU Caulfield - the main student body on campus, runs 'Sex It Up week' in semester one every year. Best week ever.

Hope to see some of you at Caulfield next year!

Soul_Khan

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
Re: Bachelor of Business (BBus) at Monash University
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:07:42 pm »
Great thread, very informative. It would be awesome if the Mods can stick this!
2012 ATAR: 52.50
#swag #yolo #basedgod

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:04:50 pm »
+2
Just thought I would add to what I have already said. Aside from the academic aspects, there are a range of opportunities you can apply for in first-year, such as:

You can also involve yourself more in university by applying to be on committees for clubs/societies such as ASEAN, MFA, BCSS and so on. Most, if not all, clubs and societies have general committees and senior positions such as treasurer, vice-president, president etc. With The Vice-Chancellor's Ancora Imparo Student Leadership Program, that is open to all first-year undergraduate students studying at Monash University and is highly competitive to get into. That said, there is no harm in applying for any of the aforementioned opportunities.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:41:59 pm »
+4
Bump. At the Caulfield campus, the Faculty of Business and Economics also offers a Peer Mentor Program, whereby 2nd/3rd-year students act as mentors to 1st-year students. The mentors are there to guide you and help you settle in to university life (i.e. through weekly meet-ups). The program runs for the whole of semester one and you will be in groups (2 mentors with 4 or 5 fellow 1st-year students). There are more details in the link provided.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:24:34 pm by epl »

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 04:34:02 pm »
+5
Decided to bump my own thread with VTAC preferences going on at the moment. Something I said in another thread:

Business units (Monash-based perspective):

Typically business units at Monash are taught as one lecture and one tutorial per week (total of 3 contact hours per week for a single unit). Lectures will often cover the key concepts and principles for a particular topic and are generally 2 hours long. The use of lecture slides in business units is useful when it comes to exam revision as it cuts down a lot of the information in the prescribed textbook. Tutorials (normally 1 hour long) for business units are generally one week behind lectures, regardless if your tutorial is before or after your lecture. This is essentially where the previous week's content is discussed based on set tutorial questions or there is general discussion had about certain concepts. Tutorials provide students with the opportunity to ask questions, clarify their understanding, and are more of a classroom-size. You may also have to submit assignments to your tutors, such as reports or essays. With any BusEco unit at Monash, there are exam hurdle requirements. This means you need to pass the exam (i.e. 50% or more) to pass the unit. Failing the exam means failing the unit, and because of this, supplementary exams are rarely granted. The number of contact hours per week for business units may be significantly lower than other courses; but you still need to work hard to achieve the marks you want.

Cannot stress the importance of taking the opportunities that are available to you once starting university. Regardless of the university you attend or the degree you're studying, getting involved in clubs and societies among other things is a really great way to make friends and you actually have fun. Furthermore, especially in a field such as commerce, the extra things you do aside from your academic grades does make a difference in the eyes of employers.

This thread in general was just to provide a different insight into what the BBus course is like and university on a whole. If you have any specific questions, don't be afraid to ask them here.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 05:37:54 pm »
+1
Fourth bump.

For those of you looking to take this course next year, the university and BusEco faculty does recognise the challenges new students face in a new environment (with the majority coming from high school) and there are a number of programs available to help you:

- Support services on campus (i.e. counsellors)
- BusEco Peer Mentor 2014 Program
- FMAA Monash Peer Mentor 2014 Program

Among a variety of other programs/services.

I was a part of the BusEco Peer Mentor Program (see the third post in this thread) this year as a mentor, and you get a lot out of it as both a mentor and mentee. In 2014, I will be involved in the FMAA Monash Peer Mentor 2014 Program and that's more a program relating to career advice for new students about networking (i.e. corporate cocktails, networking nights etc.). It's not as heavily advertised, but definitely worth considering if you want to get a head start in terms of making connections with firm reps.

iClinton

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 12:31:07 pm »
The prereq contains maths
I don't do maths but this course looks convincing
What should i do ?