Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 08:47:34 pm

Author Topic: Tuition Survey  (Read 6502 times)  Share 

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
Tuition Survey
« on: September 08, 2012, 09:14:55 pm »
Not really relating to an actual tuition service... but for my business class, we have to come up with a survey so we can analyse the information and then build our online business based on the responses from the survey. As a result, I have been acquiring information for my chosen business idea (which happens to be an online tutor) and I have a lot of responses from the 12-15 year bracket but I don't have any for 16 years - 18 years or 18-25 years old.

It would be great if you guys could fill in my survey for my school work and if there are any questions about it or if I should add any other questions then please tell me below :)

What sort of tuition program are you looking for?

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Tuition Survey
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:17:41 pm »
done!
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:20:03 pm »
+3
There wasn't really any options in the survey for people who don't want/have tutoring.

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:24:48 pm »
There wasn't really any options in the survey for people who don't want/have tutoring.
Thank you for your feedback laseredd. I will add one more question asking 'If you do not do tuition, please tell us why?"

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »
Done :D

FlorianK

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 09:54:16 pm »
Why are all the questions for uni students?
Isn't having a tutor more common for high school students?

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 09:59:54 pm »
The questions are for uni students? I believe the questions can be applicable to both uni kids and high school students...
And yes it is more common for high school students to have tuition yet I was curious to see if anybody in uni had tuition for uni subjects (Stupid question I know but I honestly don't know the answer to that lol)

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 10:02:15 pm »
+2
I didn't feel that any of the questions were particular for uni students to get tuition.

Which questions are you thinking of?

My best bet would be this one "Would you prefer tutors that have over 5+ years experience in their respective subject or tutors who are straight out of university with their degree in their respective subject?"

I think that was referring to how much experience you wanted your actual tutor to be - I actually just went the 'other' option and wrote that someone having finished year 12 would be good enough for me.

"7. In a typical year, about how much money, in Australian dollars, do you spend on tuition? [Excluding University Tutorials]"
The thing at the end of that question is something you can just ignore if you don't have uni tutes to attend (and if you do, then the question tells you to ignore them)

FlorianK

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 10:03:11 pm »
The questions are for uni students? I believe the questions can be applicable to both uni kids and high school students...
And yes it is more common for high school students to have tuition yet I was curious to see if anybody in uni had tuition for uni subjects (Stupid question I know but I honestly don't know the answer to that lol)
Question 5 in particular.
and
"[Excluding University Tutorials]"

Regarding question 7, there are VCE kids spending $20000+ on tutoring.

Edit: Changed username for privacy purposes - Phy124
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:46:57 am by Phy124 »

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 10:10:17 pm »
Question 5 in particular.
and
"[Excluding University Tutorials]"

Regarding question 7, there are VCE kids spending $20000+ on tutoring.
Question 5 was just asking whether you would prefer a tutor that has been tutoring for 5 years+ or would you prefer a uni student who has a degree in that subject to tutor you... I see your point where it applies to a uni student but as laseredd stated below, I just wanted to know how much experience you want from your tutor.

As for the [Excluding University Tutorials] question.. I wanted a wide range for my research and tuition sort of meant if you attended tutes at uni.. which I didn't want. And again as laseredd has stated... you can ignore it if you don't attend tutes :)

mattjarrett

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 10:32:32 pm »
+3
Out of interest, would you be able to post the results of that survey?
2012 – Accounting (50)
2013 – English (47) | Literature (47) | French (44) | Methods (33) | Business Management (50)
2014-Present – Commerce/Law (Monash)

-- ONLY 3 SPOTS LEFT FOR TUTORING IN 2015 --

Offering tutoring in English, Business Management and Accounting throughout the 2015 school year. PM me for details.

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:58 am »
+2
Out of interest, would you be able to post the results of that survey?
LOL I can certainly do it but it'll be mixed with other results from people and since I used my old school's email and I don't go there... there's the likelihood that I might not be able to access it but I'll try my best!

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:03 pm »
I think the results that you acquire would be useful for AN.

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 08:37:04 pm »
+6
So I managed to get onto the website and find my survey (after finding out that my school dind't delete my email as well as survey) (:
Okay so this will be a long post since SurveyMonkey is really hard to export data unless you have premium (which I don't) so I'll just state the facts etc. here.  For some I will include some responses from participants and if you realise it's yours and you don't want me to have it there then PM me and I'll remove it for you (in case if there are any people who want to remain anonymous but it's a student survey for my school assignment last year so yeah... LOL). Also do realise that there were a few dodgy mistakes which I made along the way so yeah.. XD

Anyway, as of 18/07/13 (I forgot to turn off the survey so people have done the survey just now), there have been 40 responses. Of the 40 there were:
  • 23 Males
  • 17 Females

As an age group (mixed), they were:
  • 13 years - 15 years: 12
  • 16 years - 18 years: 15
  • 18 years - 25 years: 13

Surprisingly (for me anyway), the days in which people would like to be tutored on were:
  • Weekdays - 24 (Tuesday the most popular option)
  • Weekends - 16 (Saturday the most popular option)

Next up I stuffed up (I think) but this question was looking at what people looked for in a tuition company. The results concluded:
  • Price - 7
  • Experience - 6
  • The way they teach (E.g Online classes/Rote learning environment) - 6
  • All of the Above - 29
  • All of the Above/Other (Please specify) - 9
In the last option, other options which people specified including things such as location, humour and as well as 'what my parents pick' just to name a few.

The next question I asked was pretty dodgy but I was happy with the results LOL but the question was whether you prefered tutors that had over 5+ years experience in their respective subject or tutors who are straight out of university with their degree in their respective subject. Results were:
  • Teachers with 5+ experience - 22
  • University Student with degree - 14
  • Can't decide? Please tell us why! - 11
In the last option, things which were answered included things saying that both had pros and cons, just having good communication skills is fine as well as Year 12 graduates since they're more familiar and recent to the VCE system compared to others.

This question was a question which anyone could answer and I had 34 responses (since I forgot to add it in at the start so they'll be less answers from the 13 - 15 age group) but results concluded that majority wanted tutoring in Math/English (this includes VCE Maths like Spesh/Further/Methods) and for the sciences it was Chemistry followed by Biology and then Physics :P
There were also language subjects like French/Chinese which people answered.

This question was a good one for me to see since it spread quite a lot on the extreme ends. This question asked how much money you spend on tuition in AUD (excluding uni tutorials) and the results were:
  • $0 - 13
  • $100 - $300 - 9
  • $300 - $500 - 5
  • $500 - $1000 - 4
  • >$1000 - 10

For those who did not do tutoring I asked why they didn't. I had 17 responses for this question and answers ranged from being in university (no need) to saying that self studying is the best as well as location (regional student). Others said they had enough resources like using AN and that it'd be a waste of time to actually do tutoring and some said that they didn't want one since they're not failing or doing poorly to suggest they need one (except for one person who said they're not failing but not a 'TrueTears level achiever' LOL)

And that concludes my survey! Hopefully that gives people some indication as to how a small portion of AN as well as others about how they feel about tuition (if not well... it certainly helped me attain a good grade for my assignment so it's a win-win situation haha ;))

On another note, SurveyMonkey is good but getting the results (especially responses) is hard but it's a good website to use for simple surveys like this!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:25:32 pm by IndefatigableLover »

mattjarrett

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 09:23:31 pm »
Thanks for your work, interesting indeed!
2012 – Accounting (50)
2013 – English (47) | Literature (47) | French (44) | Methods (33) | Business Management (50)
2014-Present – Commerce/Law (Monash)

-- ONLY 3 SPOTS LEFT FOR TUTORING IN 2015 --

Offering tutoring in English, Business Management and Accounting throughout the 2015 school year. PM me for details.