Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:21:35 pm

Author Topic: Super duper early head start  (Read 1498 times)  Share 

HighLatency

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +38
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Super duper early head start
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:49:01 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of doing a actuarial path in commerce next year at Melbourne uni.
What can I do to prepare? I've been seeing a lot of low success rates and I'm already pissing myself.
Is there anything I can do beforehand to get ahead of the work in anything?
Are there any resources or books that I can read?
Pleeeeaaseeeeeee

P.s I'm a masochist

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
Re: Super duper early head start
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:12:02 pm »
I dont do actuarial but I know that melbourne has a couple of subjects that can be done during summer. If you dont mind spending time during a summer doing 1 or 2 1st year core subjects you can reduce the workload during semester 1 for your acturial studies.

so like 3 subs in sem1/2 and 2/1 units in summer.

Other than that I think if you know anyone doing the course you can borrow their book/notes for like first year maths subjects and just have a read/pace through it in holidays. But i do not think it will benefit that much, since most of the fail rates happen around in 2nd year when the level of difficulty jumps significantly.

Which is why I suggest to structure your subjects in ways that you have easy or less subjects when you are doing you acturial subjects. So have a look at the course guide and plan ahead subject wise before uni starts helps quite a bit.

HighLatency

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +38
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:31:57 pm »
I dont do actuarial but I know that melbourne has a couple of subjects that can be done during summer. If you dont mind spending time during a summer doing 1 or 2 1st year core subjects you can reduce the workload during semester 1 for your acturial studies.

so like 3 subs in sem1/2 and 2/1 units in summer.

Other than that I think if you know anyone doing the course you can borrow their book/notes for like first year maths subjects and just have a read/pace through it in holidays. But i do not think it will benefit that much, since most of the fail rates happen around in 2nd year when the level of difficulty jumps significantly.

Which is why I suggest to structure your subjects in ways that you have easy or less subjects when you are doing you acturial subjects. So have a look at the course guide and plan ahead subject wise before uni starts helps quite a bit.

Thanks for the advice
Don't know any first years unfortunately :(
Do you know what kind of reading I can do for the first year core subjects?
Just need something to do for a month whilst on "holiday"

P.S Will do anything for some notes. Anything.

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:16:43 pm »
I would PM TrueTears, ATARNOTE's resident actuary/finance/economics genius. He frequently hangs out in the Monash Uni board so he'll probably be able to point you in the right direction.