Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:08:04 pm

Author Topic: PhB Science opinions  (Read 14324 times)  Share 

Symmetry

• South Australian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
PhB Science opinions
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:50:15 pm »
So I'm a year 12 student (just finished) and I'm struggling to decide whether to apply for the PhB at ANU. I'm pretty sure I'll get the 99+ ATAR but I'm uncertain about whether the course is right for me, or if I should just go for the Bachelor of Science (Adv) (Hons) instead (or possibly a double degree with psychology).
If you're doing/have done a science PhB or know someone who has, I'd be really appreciative if you could spare some insight about one or more of these questions, or anything else you think could help.

1. How does the workload of a PhB student compare with that of a Bachelor of Science (Advanced) student? Would you say the PhB is a relatively demanding/stressful course?

2. Would you say that a PhB student has a significant advantage in terms of research opportunities in the future?

3. Does a PhB student need to consistently perform at a high intellectual standard?
I'd say I have a decent level of intelligence but I'm not one of those 'gifted mind' students who catches on fast and is the first to ask perceptive questions. At times I'm a somewhat slow learner, but given the time to do some of my own thinking & reading I tend to eventually end up with a thorough understanding of a subject area.

4. If you're not entirely certain that you want to do scientific research as a profession, is the PhB a bad idea?

Thanks a million. Btw sorry if similar questions have come up before, I'm new here  ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:02:42 pm by Symmetry »

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
Re: PhB Science opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:01:40 pm »
+2
I was in your position too - I was considering the PhB at the ANU.

1. From what I heard, the workload is very very demanding, and it is a stressful but very highly intellectually stimulating course.

2. I would say yes, particularly in terms of connections - the ANU LOVES the PhB kids apparently.

3. Yes, a HD average must be maintained.

4. Not at all if you ask me. If you like a challenge and you love science, the PhB is for you.

"At times I'm a somewhat slow learner, but given the time to do some of my own thinking & reading I tend to eventually end up with a thorough understanding of a subject area."

You're EXACTLY like me. I find that compared to the other med kids (in my course) I have to put in a LOT more work than the others in my year level to get the same level of understanding (using them as a reference only), but once I get it, its very firm in my head. You might find that you'll have to work a fair bit harder than the others in your year, but keep at it, because once you get it, its very very rewarding. To get around that issue, I recommend reading ahead.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

nerfsdacier

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:05:07 pm »
"Chemderp", what made you choose monash over ANU? was it just the fact that ANU was interstate?

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:09:16 pm »
Pretty much, and Monash med was shorter than PhB/MBBS at the ANU.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 06:26:32 pm »
+1
With 3, as long as you perform well on assignments/exams it doesn't matter how fast you learn. You are given time for learning and revision after all.

PhB Science is very similar to a regular BSc, the difference being the availability of research projects (which is a good opportunity if research is your thing) and the HD requirement. The HD requirement can be hard to manage and super stressful, but it is outweighed by the opportunities you get, IMO.

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:54 pm »
+1
I'll reply later in more depth, but long story short choosing PhB is the best thing I ever did in terms of choosing uni related stuff. Do it.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 09:30:32 pm »
So I'm a year 12 student (just finished) and I'm struggling to decide whether to apply for the PhB at ANU. I'm pretty sure I'll get the 99+ ATAR but I'm uncertain about whether the course is right for me, or if I should just go for the Bachelor of Science (Adv) (Hon) instead (or possibly psychology).

Do you mean the Bachelor of Science (Adv) (Hon) at ANU or elsewhere?
If you are happy going to ANU, then why not go for the PhB? If it's too much you can always drop back into the Adv Science course, although if you are capable of a 99+ ATAR (and given you pick courses that you enjoy), then I don't see how the PhB would really be too far beyond your abilities...

Dropping back won't be of detriment in terms of how long your degree will take, or how you will cope with classes, so I'd say go for the PhB because you will always have the security of the Adv Science course.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:32:23 pm by rife168 »
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:30:50 pm »
I'll reply later in more depth, but long story short choosing PhB is the best thing I ever did in terms of choosing uni related stuff. Do it.

I retain healthy scepticism. Convince me otherwise. Go to't!

Symmetry

• South Australian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:39:11 pm »
Unfortunately I've got to make the decision within the next day or so, otherwise I won't get the application in before the deadline (I'm yet to ask for referee reports).

I was in your position too - I was considering the PhB at the ANU.

1. From what I heard, the workload is very very demanding, and it is a stressful but very highly intellectually stimulating course.

2. I would say yes, particularly in terms of connections - the ANU LOVES the PhB kids apparently.

3. Yes, a HD average must be maintained.

4. Not at all if you ask me. If you like a challenge and you love science, the PhB is for you.

"At times I'm a somewhat slow learner, but given the time to do some of my own thinking & reading I tend to eventually end up with a thorough understanding of a subject area."

You're EXACTLY like me. I find that compared to the other med kids (in my course) I have to put in a LOT more work than the others in my year level to get the same level of understanding (using them as a reference only), but once I get it, its very firm in my head. You might find that you'll have to work a fair bit harder than the others in your year, but keep at it, because once you get it, its very very rewarding. To get around that issue, I recommend reading ahead.

Good to hear that someone's like me ;) Quite a few of my friends seem to pick up on new difficult material pretty much as soon as it's taught, while I generally need to sit and read about it in my own time. To each their own learning style I suppose. I'll give reading ahead a shot, but it'll take some serious self-discipline D: Thanks for all the food for thought.

With 3, as long as you perform well on assignments/exams it doesn't matter how fast you learn. You are given time for learning and revision after all.

PhB Science is very similar to a regular BSc, the difference being the availability of research projects (which is a good opportunity if research is your thing) and the HD requirement. The HD requirement can be hard to manage and super stressful, but it is outweighed by the opportunities you get, IMO.

That's good to hear. I guess I've got to decide whether I'm willing to put in that extra mile of effort for the sake of research opportunities. And if I've understood correctly, the research projects are in addition to the normal BSc workload, rather than some aspects of the BSc being replaced or learnt later to make room for research.

Glad the PhB worked out well for you. I look forward to your response :D

Do you mean the Bachelor of Science (Adv) (Hon) at ANU or elsewhere?
If you are happy going to ANU, then why not go for the PhB? If it's too much you can always drop back into the Adv Science course, although if you are capable of a 99+ ATAR (and given you pick courses that you enjoy), then I don't see how the PhB would really be too far beyond your abilities...

Dropping back won't be of detriment in terms of how long your degree will take, or how you will cope with classes, so I'd say go for the PhB because you will always have the security of the Adv Science course.

I meant BSc (Adv) (Hon) at ANU, although it's quite possible I won't go to ANU at all if I don't get a scholarship (but that's a whole other story). Good point about dropping to adv science. But then again, it'd be highly uncharacteristic of me to voluntarily stop the PhB, even if I'd be better off stopping... an innate stubbornness to finish what I've started is to blame here. Nonetheless I'll consider it, thanks for that.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 08:28:07 am »
No point applying for BSc (Adv) (Hons) at ANU over PhB; you still have to maintain a good academic average (75 for the former instead of 80 for the latter), you don't get to do Advanced Studies Courses, and you don't get as much freedom to skip courses/do courses outside your area. In fact, the Bachelor of Science Advanced degree tends to have a lot of students who didn't get into PhB but want to transfer in (which you can do if you get a high enough average for your uni courses in the first semester or two).

I recommend applying for the PhB regardless. If you don't like it, you can easily transfer to another degree; I know people who transferred to Actuarial Studies, some who transferred to Med, and some who graduated with a PhB in maths but then went on to do a PhD in economics. There are plenty of options.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

Symmetry

• South Australian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:54:54 am »
No point applying for BSc (Adv) (Hons) at ANU over PhB; you still have to maintain a good academic average (75 for the former instead of 80 for the latter), you don't get to do Advanced Studies Courses, and you don't get as much freedom to skip courses/do courses outside your area. In fact, the Bachelor of Science Advanced degree tends to have a lot of students who didn't get into PhB but want to transfer in (which you can do if you get a high enough average for your uni courses in the first semester or two).

I recommend applying for the PhB regardless. If you don't like it, you can easily transfer to another degree; I know people who transferred to Actuarial Studies, some who transferred to Med, and some who graduated with a PhB in maths but then went on to do a PhD in economics. There are plenty of options.

Hmm so would you say that the BSc (Adv) (Hons) doesn't differ much to PhB in terms of workload? I was aware of the 75 and 80 requirements but wasn't sure if the extra advanced studies and such made the PhB much more demanding. Thanks for the info btw

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 12:08:24 pm »
+3
Ok, there's been a lot of discussion already, so I'm just going to post five reasons why you should do the PhB:

1. You will have access to research opportunities normally only afforded to postgraduate students.  It's not like you can't do research as an undergraduate generally speaking, but PhB allows you to do it as coursework, and because of your status academics will also be super keen to take you up on your ideas, your prospective projects, etc. 

2. You will have amazing flexibility compared to everyone else.  To quote the admin people at ANU, the PhB is basically a "do whatever the hell you want" degree - choice, choice, choice is key here.

3. You will meet the cream of the Australian crop.  There is a PhB camp in first semester and PhB often has networking/social events - if you are part of the program, you will be constantly engaged with fellow students who have similar intellectual interests and capabilities.  This is as useful and as enriching as it sounds.

4. You will have a much more pretigious degree for postgraduate entry than pretty much anything else offered in Australia.  PhB guarantees you good grades and a lot of impressive opportunities which look amazing on your resume. 

5. You will enjoy it.  Much of the problem with the Australian university system is that our universities are crowded, students and lecturers are disengaged, etc.  PhB is small, and there is a lot more familiarity between students and academics normally when one is enrolled within the program.  This will change your university experience.  Trust me.

Seriously, do it.  Best choice ever.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 12:35:55 pm »

That's good to hear. I guess I've got to decide whether I'm willing to put in that extra mile of effort for the sake of research opportunities. And if I've understood correctly, the research projects are in addition to the normal BSc workload, rather than some aspects of the BSc being replaced or learnt later to make room for research.
Actually, it's research instead of a regular course or instead of certain assessment items of a normal course. So, the workload is comparable, if not the same as a BSc.

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 02:00:23 pm »
+1
LOL you guys are making me almost regret not choosing the PhB :P

Symmetry

• South Australian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »
Ok, there's been a lot of discussion already, so I'm just going to post five reasons why you should do the PhB:

1. You will have access to research opportunities normally only afforded to postgraduate students.  It's not like you can't do research as an undergraduate generally speaking, but PhB allows you to do it as coursework, and because of your status academics will also be super keen to take you up on your ideas, your prospective projects, etc. 

2. You will have amazing flexibility compared to everyone else.  To quote the admin people at ANU, the PhB is basically a "do whatever the hell you want" degree - choice, choice, choice is key here.

3. You will meet the cream of the Australian crop.  There is a PhB camp in first semester and PhB often has networking/social events - if you are part of the program, you will be constantly engaged with fellow students who have similar intellectual interests and capabilities.  This is as useful and as enriching as it sounds.

4. You will have a much more pretigious degree for postgraduate entry than pretty much anything else offered in Australia.  PhB guarantees you good grades and a lot of impressive opportunities which look amazing on your resume. 

5. You will enjoy it.  Much of the problem with the Australian university system is that our universities are crowded, students and lecturers are disengaged, etc.  PhB is small, and there is a lot more familiarity between students and academics normally when one is enrolled within the program.  This will change your university experience.  Trust me.

Seriously, do it.  Best choice ever.

Just as I was beginning to swing toward not applying, another convincing reply comes along. The optimist in me says I should be more ambitious and just give it a shot. I'll be left with another difficult decision if I were to manage to get in to PhB but don't get a scholarship though (moving to Canberra with virtually no money wouldn't exactly be easy). Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's given me a lot to think about.

Actually, it's research instead of a regular course or instead of certain assessment items of a normal course. So, the workload is comparable, if not the same as a BSc.

Ooh I see, well I'm glad that misconception has been cleared up.